Springfield's origins

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
By all accounts, Springfield Armory makes excellent products, and they have an excellent track record of innovation. It's great that there's truly creative companies out there, particularly as they keep everyone else on their toes. It's also great that they're willing to sponsor this site.

However, I can't help but think that they're being a little less than up-front about the fact that they have *no connection* whatsoever with the original Springfield Armory. Most of their marketing materials strongly suggest that they have a direct relationship, by putting George Washington and the 18th century up front, and later on (when most people have quit reading) mentions that some other people started the company "in the spirit" of the original. Quite often, independent sellers seem to prefer to tell customers that there's a direct lineage and the company *is* the original Armory - and the company probably does not attempt to correct them.

It's not a huge deal and it in no way diminishes the quality of their firearms, but it's just a nagging detail that seems a little tacky. Their impressive combination of quality and price means that most people would probably be willing to take them on their own merits. Springfield doesn't have to act like they're something they're not. This is something that has been bugging me for a while, so I just thought I would see what everyone else thought.

I'm not trying to give Springfield a hard time here...it's just that I prefer honesty over hype, and I think most other people do, too. I'm planning on getting an XD 45 soon and would not hesitate to buy any of their other products.

Last edited:
Springfield Armory, Inc. is a firearms manufacturer based in Geneseo, Illinois founded in 1974. It is one of the largest firearms manufacturers in the United States and is the recipient of the National Rifle Association Gun of the Year Award 4 times. [1]

It has no history with the Springfield Armory federal arsenal in Massachusetts which was established in 1777 and stayed in production until being closed in 1968.

Formation
After the Springfield name was closed by the federal government in 1968, the name was used by a small company in Texas who used the name for several years. The efforts were unsuccessful and in 1974, the Springfield Armory name was used by Robert Reese, who formed a new company to manufacture semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle called the M1A Rifle. The firearm was what brought success to the business. The company then expanded its market into pistols, notably the M1911. After further success the company began to branch into many fields of firearms. The Springfield arsenal now holds dozens of different firearms of many styles and models.

Link Removed

I knew when I bought my XD that this was not the original company, didnt really make any difference to me, and I only knew about it because of research I had done prior to the purchase. its kinda like thinking that because you buy a new Chevy that every part in that new car is made by GM at a GM plant, just isnt that way anymore. European arms manufactures, some anyway, have had long standing reputations as makers of some fine weapons, so I look at this as another step in a truely global economy. I do get your point though, it wouldnt hurt them to put it all up front.

Last edited:
I have no problem with them. They state right on their web site that they “rescued” the name and “resurrected the most historically significant designs produced by the Armory”.

If you read what they wrote, there is no place where they say, or even imply, that they are the original Armory.

Toreksha, You will love the XD-45. I bought mine recently and it is the finest pistol I have ever owned. When you add to that the pistol has a lifetime warranty, I say, "What more can you ask?" I have been impressed for several years with SA's 1911 pistols and M1 Garand rifles (I still want one of those babies.) and when I saw the XD and now the XDM line, I read everything I could get my hands on. When it came time to replace my Firestar, I only considered one pistol, the XD-45. I don't care that the modern Sprinfield Armory is not a direct link to the original. I don't care that the guns are manufactured in Croatia. I wouldn't care if they were made by elves in a hollow tree. They are the best handguns I have seen yet. Bar none. I respect Glock Fan and his right to believe what he wishes, but I don't understand how he can say yhe Glock has any advantage over the XD. I wish him all the luck and hope he has a blast with his Austrian gun. Just because the Austrian army pays $85 a copy for the same pistol we are charged $600 for here. It is a pretty good gun. I had a Glock 17 when they first came out. I don't know if it was the gun or the 9mm round it fired, I was underwhelmed. When you have a .45ACP pistol with no frame mounted safety to remember to click off as you draw, that holds 13 in the magazine and one in the tube. A gun that is easy to hold and shoot, being both light and with low recoil (once thought to be impossible), and can deliver the impact of a brick through a plate glass window, then you are holding a SA XD-45 in your hot little hand.

Last edited:
Toreksha, You will love the XD-45. I bought mine recently and it is the finest pistol I have ever owned. When you add to that the pistol has a lifetime warranty, I say, "What more can you ask?" I have been impressed for several years with SA's 1911 pistols and M1 Garand rifles (I still want one of those babies.) and when I saw the XD and now the XDM line, I read everything I could get my hands on. When it came time to replace my Firestar, I only considered one pistol, the XD-45. I don't care that the modern Sprinfield Armory is not a direct link to the original. I don't care that the guns are manufactured in Croatia. I wouldn't care if they were made by elves in a hollow tree. They are the best handguns I have seen yet. Bar none. I respect Glock Fan and his right to believe what he wishes, but I don't understand how he can say yhe Glock has any advantage over the XD. I wish him all the luck and hope he has a blast with his Austrian gun. Just because the Austrian army pays $85 a copy for the same pistol we are charged $600 for here. It is a pretty good gun. I had a Glock 17 when they first came out. I don't know if it was the gun or the 9mm round it fired, I was underwhelmed. When you have a .45ACP pistol with no frame mounted safety to remember to click off as you draw, that holds 13 in the magazine and one in the tube. A gun that is easy to hold and shoot, being both light and with low recoil (once thought to be impossible), and can deliver the impact of a brick through a plate glass window, then you are holding a SA XD-45 in your hot little hand.

I'm glad you like the XD. I know many folks who also like the XD. As I tell all of my students, it's a matter of personal choice. When they ask me "what's the best gun", I tell them that there are many good guns on the market. I suggest that they shoot several different guns, then decide. The origin of the gun means little to me. What matters is quality and safety. As long as the gun functions properly and does the job, I say go for it. One thing I like about the Glock over the XD is the easy maintanence. Don't like spending a lot of time cleaning guns after a class.

You claim that the Austrian army pays $85 for a Glock. Do you have any "proof". You claim to be a "former LEO", so I'm sure you're able to cite your source. As for the current price of $600, I find that to be inaccurate. Current sticker price for the common models of Glocks here in PRHI is $589. This would be the G17, G19, G26, G22, G23, G27, and G21. Again I say "Cite your source".

You state that you were "underwhelmed" when you fired the G17 (9mm). How can you compare a 9mm to a .45acp? Fire your XD-45 next to the G21. That would be a true comparison, but then again as a "former LEO", I'm sure you know best. :rolleyes:

Lastly, you talk about the XD-45 as a ".45ACP pistol with no frame mounted safety...." Please tell me where the Glock's frame mounted safety is. Stop talking like a media person, or did you work in media as well???

If you're gonna post, do your best to check the facts and give accurate info. Frankly your "mall ninja" ramblings are getting old really fast. :ph34r:

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back