Sportsman's Warehouse Twin Falls, Idaho

NVCowboy

So I went to Sportsman's Warehouse in Twin Falls yesterday, and as I get to the door I see their firearms policy on the front door. I have a Nevada CCW and I don't OC in Twin Falls anymore due to the influx of locusts from the PRK(I now live in Nevada but I was born and raised in southern Idaho). Anyway, the sign, paraphrased, states that firearms need to be checked at the customer service counter basically to keep the people happy in their shopping experience and blah blah blah. In Nevada unless it's one of the clearly stated prohibited areas in NRS, signs on private businesses don't carry the weight of law. If you CC and get caught in a business that doesn't like CC, then the owner can ask you to leave. If you don't leave then you can be cited for trespass and that's it. However, when in Rome, you do as the Romans do, so I stopped at the customer service desk and asked to speak to the manager. When he got there I pulled him off to the side and asked him how his firearms policy applies to CCW permit holders and he stated that CCW holders are more than allowed to carry in the store as long as they(the staff or public) don't see the weapon. The policy only applies to those people OCing. He went on to say "We need more of you guys around", meaning CCWers. While I was half pleased with his answer about allowing concealed carry in the store I wasn't so pleased with the OC policy. I mean seriously folks, you are walking into a store that at least half of it is hunting and gun related, but the sight of someone with a weapon is going to cause folks to stroke and think war is about to break out. If you are that freaked at the sight of a gun in a GUN STORE then stay home people!! I am becoming extremely disappointed in Idaho and the butt kissing of the commifornugees that have invaded. Twin Falls used to be extremely OC friendly, but I'm beginning to think that isn't the case anymore. It was always an unwritten rule that if you went into the Shoshone Basin or out towards Three Creek you took a pistol or some sort of firearm, and if you stopped at a gas station on the way no one gave you a second look other than to ask if you shot any snakes that day. I hope Idaho comes back to the old days and quick!!

NVCowboy:266160 said:
So I went to Sportsman's Warehouse in Twin Falls yesterday, and as I get to the door I see their firearms policy on the front door. I have a Nevada CCW and I don't OC in Twin Falls anymore due to the influx of locusts from the PRK(I now live in Nevada but I was born and raised in southern Idaho). Anyway, the sign, paraphrased, states that firearms need to be checked at the customer service counter basically to keep the people happy in their shopping experience and blah blah blah. In Nevada unless it's one of the clearly stated prohibited areas in NRS, signs on private businesses don't carry the weight of law. If you CC and get caught in a business that doesn't like CC, then the owner can ask you to leave. If you don't leave then you can be cited for trespass and that's it. However, when in Rome, you do as the Romans do, so I stopped at the customer service desk and asked to speak to the manager. When he got there I pulled him off to the side and asked him how his firearms policy applies to CCW permit holders and he stated that CCW holders are more than allowed to carry in the store as long as they(the staff or public) don't see the weapon. The policy only applies to those people OCing. He went on to say "We need more of you guys around", meaning CCWers. While I was half pleased with his answer about allowing concealed carry in the store I wasn't so pleased with the OC policy. I mean seriously folks, you are walking into a store that at least half of it is hunting and gun related, but the sight of someone with a weapon is going to cause folks to stroke and think war is about to break out. If you are that freaked at the sight of a gun in a GUN STORE then stay home people!! I am becoming extremely disappointed in Idaho and the butt kissing of the commifornugees that have invaded. Twin Falls used to be extremely OC friendly, but I'm beginning to think that isn't the case anymore. It was always an unwritten rule that if you went into the Shoshone Basin or out towards Three Creek you took a pistol or some sort of firearm, and if you stopped at a gas station on the way no one gave you a second look other than to ask if you shot any snakes that day. I hope Idaho comes back to the old days and quick!!

sorry to hear this. Maybe the lack of open carrying caused it to become undesirable? Stay open carrying more, bring it back to normal.

The wholesale sports (which I believe used to be a sportsmans warehouse) in Kennewick, WA has had no issues with me OC.

In town, definitely. In the rural areas people still own, OC, and enjoy their guns, but the "I want to live in the country and get away from the city" commifornugees are becoming more prevalent. It's just a matter of time until they start to complain and whine about landowners shooting on their property. Normally they would get told to can it, because it's perfectly legal to shoot on private property outside city limits, and the farmers and ranchers would fight through hell and back to keep it that way, but who knows when the governmental body tends to kiss the invaders butts more and more these days.

I live in Buhl, near Twin Falls. I am a Kalifornia transplant but boy do I feel at home here. Been here over 7 years.

Here is my story: I was scoping some whistle pigs with the scope on my pellet rifle. They are within 10 feet of the road so I cannot shoot them so I had placed some bait for them. I was watching to see if they were taking it.

Pretty soon I see a Buhl PD car pull over and stop up the road 30-40 yards away. I play it cool and held my position. A little while later a Sheriff's car pulls up. They both get out. The Sheriff's Dep is walking down towards me as well as the PD guy. She (the dep) is just walking. The PD guy is carrying an AR-15 AT THE READY!!! Can you believe that garbage. Maybe he was afraid I would put his eye out.

I think it used to be one could be OUT IN THE COUNTRY with a weapon and that was normal. Probably some city slicker speeding up and down the road at twice the limit got a feared.

So, now I am the neighborhood terrorist.

I live in Buhl, near Twin Falls. I am a Kalifornia transplant but boy do I feel at home here. Been here over 7 years.

Here is my story: I was scoping some whistle pigs with the scope on my pellet rifle. They are within 10 feet of the road so I cannot shoot them so I had placed some bait for them. I was watching to see if they were taking it.

Pretty soon I see a Buhl PD car pull over and stop up the road 30-40 yards away. I play it cool and held my position. A little while later a Sheriff's car pulls up. They both get out. The Sheriff's Dep is walking down towards me as well as the PD guy. She (the dep) is just walking. The PD guy is carrying an AR-15 AT THE READY!!! Can you believe that garbage. Maybe he was afraid I would put his eye out.

I think it used to be one could be OUT IN THE COUNTRY with a weapon and that was normal. Probably some city slicker speeding up and down the road at twice the limit got a feared.

I was really hoping you were going to say the AR-15 was at the ready because he was going to pop some groundhogs with you. Though I'm pretty much anti-groundhog-shooting.

Kinda disappointing. But, today my husband and I went into the local Big R and he was trying on a belt and asked if he could put his gun on the counter and the cashier said "Sure." So maybe there's some hope.

My local Sportsmans Warehouse has you check items as part of their inventory control, they do it for archery and long guns and fishing gear that is being taken back to the shop. I wonder if what happened was a misunderstanding of that policy. I have never seen a OCer in the store so I don't know how it would effect them.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

There's a TON of information missing from all this, but if Buhl PD showed up(it's hard enough to get them out of the cop shop much less out of their cars), you were most likely still in the city limits. The discharge of any weapon, yes including BB and pellet guns, is illegal in the city limits of Buhl(Article 3 Para 4-3B1 Buhl City Code). Baiting for the purposes of hunting in Idaho is also illegal other than for black bear so that one COULD have bit you in the a$$ had a game warden shown up and was in a pi$$y mood. I was born and raised in the Buhl area, and it might serve you well for the future if you talked to a few of the original families from there that know how things work. Personally, I wouldn't have been caught dead shooting 30-40 yards from the road that close to town.

There's a TON of information missing from all this

Nothing missing. I stated I was in the country. I never said I was shooting. I was not shooting, just scoping. The bait was to KILL them and I was watching to see if they were taking it.

The PD officer was at least a mile outside the city limits.

Put yourself in the shoes of a person driving down the road. Looking down the scope of a rifle would infer to a reasonable person that you intend to shoot. That's why the cops stopped. Ask just about any farmer or rancher that has grown up in that area and they would most likely agree with me. That's why the cops stopped. They aren't mind readers and considering some of Twin Falls County's finest, I'll leave it at that. Using poison bait on rockchucks to KILL them as you stated is referred to as POISONING. Why you didn't specify that earlier still makes me wonder what was really going on, but it's your story you tell it how you want. There's a more effective method to watching that wouldn't have put you in the position you were in. It's called binoculars. I'm sorry but Buhl PD being outside city limits would be like B.O. becoming a conservative republican. They haven't done it in all the years I've been around that area, why would they start now?

Rant on, not pointed at anyone in particular, just seemed like the perfect time to get this all out in the open and take it for what it is:
This is what really pi$$es me off about people that move here and it's not just an Idaho problem, it's a Nevada problem too. People move in from these nanny states where gun ownership, concealed, and open carry is frowned upon if not outlawed outright and they think now that they have this freedom they can do whatever they damn well please. Well, I hate to break it to you but it's not so. For example, let's take the problem with people shooting up the area around the canyon rim north of TF. People had been shooting out there for well over 50 years with no problems whatsoever. Now you go out there and it looks like a complete dump. People go out there and blaze away and don't even bother to clean up the mess. They figure some one else will take care of it for them. The county gets bombarded with phone calls and in turn has to pass an ordinance to keep people out. Then you get the furor of "by God it's my right to carry a gun out there and you're just infringing upon it and blah blah blah". No one's going to infringe upon your rights if you are responsible about things. We've become a nation that shuns personal responsibility and accountability. Before you go out and run hog wild, sit down and talk to the people that have grown up there and have lived there. They know what the score is and if they don't know the answer they will tell you where you can find out the answer. If you decide to go out and blast away at rockchucks make damn sure your neighbors know what you are up to. It's a lot easier to tell Joe Blow that you might be out blasting away at the rockpile than it would be for you to have a round screaming downrange when he comes over the hill to see what's up. There's places out there that you have no clue which direction someone's shooting in until it could be too late. If folks know to steer clear, then you won't have the "Oh Sh!t" to deal with. I can't say either way that I agree or disagree with what the cops did in the above situation. I wasn't there, and don't know the facts, but knowing what I do about the area, neighbors don't normally call things like that in unless there's an issue. Why? Because the people that live and farm there can't stand rockchucks one damn bit and are happy if someone takes a few if not all of them out. All us natives ask is that you be responsible, don't create a mess, don't do stupid crap, and we'll all get along just fine. Rant off. No need to acknowledge, net clear.

The Sportsman's Warehouse Nampa, ID.

I was OC'ing at the Sportsman's the other day and saw that same sign in their window so I too went to the service counter to ask what was up? They said it only applied if you were going to remove your weapon from your Holster in order to check holsters and such. If you are just carrying for self defense she said there was no problem. So at least that's how they do it at the Nampa store. It's the same response I got from the Cabela's in Boise. It doesn't hurt to ask before you get upset and cross them off your list. Thanks & Later

I was OC'ing at the Sportsman's the other day and saw that same sign in their window so I too went to the service counter to ask what was up? They said it only applied if you were going to remove your weapon from your Holster in order to check holsters and such. If you are just carrying for self defense she said there was no problem. So at least that's how they do it at the Nampa store. It's the same response I got from the Cabela's in Boise. It doesn't hurt to ask before you get upset and cross them off your list. Thanks & Later

From my original post concerning asking before getting upset:
"When he(the store manager) got there I pulled him off to the side and asked him how his firearms policy applies to CCW permit holders and he stated that CCW holders are more than allowed to carry in the store as long as they(the staff or public) don't see the weapon. The policy only applies to those people OCing."

Update - over the last year the store changed the sign(roughly September)from what I was told. I figure they decided that OC'ing wasn't so bad after all.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back