Sport Bike To "Adventure Tourer"...? Yep, I'm doing it!

gunnerbob

PEW Professional
As some of you know, I've pondered the idea of an "Adventure" bike of sorts but sadly don't have the cash for another bike. So..... I'm converting my SV650 to fill that role! I love my SV but, I've been honest with myself and find I don't have as much interest in riding her for what she was made for... I'm gettin' old or something :eek:! Anyway, the plus to this conversion is I get to keep the SV but get to add another riding genre to the table. Win-win!!!

Here's some pics showing the SV before and after a trail ride. Now, some pictures are of the windshield that I added that was broken (of which you'll see the fix I did) as well as the handle bars that are taller... These are the first modifications in the process, as they were the easiest. Oh, some of the pics will show a small, black side panel missing under the seat... I was in the process of changing the battery when I decided to snap some pics.

Naturally... New Rubber Is In Order....

So, I got these!!! $200 shipped for the pair, I'm going to have these put on asap.

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

The sport tires on it are Mich Pilot Powers in the 120/60/r17 & 170/60/r17 variety, the new tires are Shinko 705s that are 120/70/r17 & 150/17/r17... that's listed as front and then rear, by the way. The new tires are taller but will fit fine and the thinner rear will fit the 4.5" rim, no probs!

The To-Do's.....

I have already ordered a set of Suzuki DL650 V-Strom hand guards, of which will bolt right on to the SV. I am going to pick up some neoprene fork protectors that simply velcro on and will fabricate a "bash guard" of sorts out of either aluminum or some Diamond plating... haven't decided on a thickness yet. Then, I plan to pick up a simple set of nylon saddle bags that will look "high speed"!!!! Heh..... pics will follow accordingly.

Wash the bike first, or you may have difficulty mating the tire to the wheel. You know...birds of a feather and all that.

Hmm, some brake work was in order before the washing began...

I removed the rear caliper, flushed the system and cleaned everything up. The was a wee-bit of corrosion.... no biggie.

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Having had 3 vstroms in the past, things I would do
Protect the radiator they get beat up.
Replace the rear spring. I had a stutter one done that helped a lit
Redo the fork springs the stock in Suzuki are pretty weak progressives. I went to fixed rate that are stiffer
A fork brace helped a lot

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

Looks like you had a fun ride.

Yes I did!

Having had 3 vstroms in the past, things I would do
Protect the radiator they get beat up.
Replace the rear spring. I had a stutter one done that helped a lit
Redo the fork springs the stock in Suzuki are pretty weak progressives. I went to fixed rate that are stiffer
A fork brace helped a lot

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

I have been looking into an engine guard that is made for the SV, it's $280... In time, I'll get it for sure. I've got a ZX14 shock that bolts right in place but, that may be too stiff for the intended applications. The front forks have .90 Sonic Springs with 15wt oil, far better than the stock configuration of the SV... thus far, they've handled the terrain well. I have also thought about a fork brace!

Thanks for the tips as a Strom owner!

DL650 Hand Guards Installed!

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Still no new tires installed.... yet.

$25 Skid Plate Anyone....?

It's 16 gauge steel that I cut to fit, bent, drilled and installed... It's held on the exhaust with stainless steel hardware w/ locktite and it actually really sturdy! It's plenty to prevent rocks or other small debris from damaging the lower part of the workings and for what the SV is capable of, enough protection.

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

I haven't gotten around to putting the tires on yet..... been busy. I will try to get it done soon.........

Update:

I've been rather busy and cash flow is low, haven't been able to finish the project yet but it will happen!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back