SP101 thoughts

mwhals

I fired a few rounds from my new SP101 357 magnum of 38 special and 357 magnum today. I thought the recoil was very manageable with either round with the stock grip. I wasn't using a target, but felt the gun handled extremely well for me. The first shot had the most felt recoil, but the rest of the shots were managed much better after that first shot. I had not shot with a handgun outside of a 22 caliber before and my thoughts are that I am not recoil sensitive. :) That is something with which I was concerned.

The SP-101 is a great revolver. I occasionally carry one with a three inch barrel as a secondary. Apparently you've stumbled onto one of the secrets of using a double-action revolver: You seem to know, instinctively, how to keep the muzzle up and correctly manage recoil. Instead of worrying about being, 'recoil sensitive' (A popular myth associated with far too many calibers.) I'd suggest you learn how to manage recoil, instead. Recoil is a tool; a skillful shooter uses it in order to a make his gun shoot faster and more accurately. I think you're off to a good start! Anyone who learns how to manage a double-action revolver early in his shooting career is going to be a better pistolero for the rest of his life!

Do yourself a favor and put a soft rubber Hogue Monogrip on yours. It'll give you more control, and help you to more naturally point the muzzle at the target. I use a pair of HKS speedloaders with my SP-101. According to Jim Cirillo, the right place to carry your revolver speedloaders is immediately in front of your holster; personally, I've found this to be correct; and I agree with Cirillo. (The idea is to never attempt to reload a combat revolver with your support (or weak) hand. This takes a little practice; but, eventually, it becomes faster than weak hand reloading; and you'll learn how to twist the revolver over your weak hand without crossing the shooter next to you with the muzzle.)

Matt Del Fatti makes the best speedloader carriers in the world! Link Removed

I have owned my Sp101 2" for 2 years now. Let's just say to get it from me you would have Pry it from my cold dead hand after a slew of JHP's coming your way. Needless to say I love this wheel gun. It's my everyday OWB carry at 9:00 (I'm left handed). The only thing I have done to this gun is to switch to a Hogue Grip for a larger hold and more protection to my middle finger from the Trigger Guard.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back