SP101 in 4" for CCW?

mwhals

I am seriously thinking about a Ruger SP101 for CCW and am wondering how the 4" barrel would compare to the 3" barrel regarding IWB concealed carry. Not really interested in the shortest barrel for .357 magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I carry a Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum in 4-5/8 inch, but not IWB. Bianchi Lawman belt holster conceals perfectly for me.

I used to carry an SP101 as a CCW but mine was the 2.25", the 3 would be fine as well. I wouldn't carry a 4" as a CC gun. The SP101 is heavy enough and the short barrels are plenty accurate.

I conceal carry Revolvers every day. I also have several of them, to include a 2.25, and a 3 Inch SP101.
I carry in a Rocky Hill Pancake at 3:30 - 4 O'Clock. This positions the Revolver Muzzle over my Right Back Pocket.
With a barrel length over 3 Inch you probably will not be able to access that pocket. The 3 Inch is right at the top of most of my pockets.
My best advice is to get the shorter barrel SP101. I tend to carry my 2.25 more than my 3 Inch.

142fq69.jpg

My 2.25 SP101 and the Rocky Hill Leather Pancake
This one has been slicked up, has a Wolff #8 Trigger return Spring and a #10 Hammer Spring. It also has the Full Shim Pak installed. A .005 on each side of the Hammer, a .005 on each side of the Hammer Dog, and a .003 on each side of the Trigger. It is about as slick as you can get an SP101.

25tfgid.jpg

The SP101 has a Gemini RED Fiber Optic Front Sight. HUGE Improvement in picking up the Front Sight

258xo40.jpg

This is a Big Creek Kydex Belt Carrier for the F Model Jet Loader which is THE Speed Loader for the SP101. They are a pretty well kept secret. The only sources I am aware of would be Power Custom, and Pistoleer. Also shown is the HKS 36. The Jet Loader is 3/4 Inch Taller than the HKS 36. The HKS 36 is a very good speed loader, but suffers some from Frame Clearance turning the knob. You also have to use a technique reloading which anchors the cylinder so it does not turn when you turn the knob. The Jet Loaders .75 extra length, and Push Down to release operation is way faster.
If SNUB Matchs were more popular and common this would be the only speed loader used in a 5 shooter with J Frame/SP101 cartridge spacing.

Which ever barrel length you ended up with an SP101 is hard to beat.

Bob The Revolver Guy

My wife's speedloader (one on right) is nearly useless on her 85 ultralite, because cylinder release button protrudes too far, requiring inserting the package at an angle, seriously impeding a quick reload. I've thought about asking her to sell the firearm (she picked it, because she can't rack slides due to a horrific crash that mangled one arm) and finding a larger frame revolver so the speedloaders will work. She pretty much squashed the idea, even the though the wheel gun is mint. I put hogue grips on for her, and she really likes the sidearm now.

Trade-in value would be unacceptably low where ever she went.

She won't carry, she doesn't want the responsibility, she said, because she has me (but only when I'm with her)!

I'm done with arguing the merits of my viewpoints with her, but i might as well be talking to a box-of-rocks.

I love this gal dearly, and will respect her personal choices in this matter...

I'm done arguing the merits of a different choice. Her mind is made-up.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back