South Carolina Senate Bill S.88 - Democrat-Lite

Phil1979

2017-2018 Bill 88: Concealed weapons - South Carolina Legislature Online

Why do they even bother? This is just more evidence of why South Carolina's gun laws are the worst in the South.

Just to get a few more off-limits locations opened up require extra government mandated and approved training EVERY SINGLE YEAR held only at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.

And government owned public buildings such as libraries, museums, and park buildings will STILL be a FELONY!

Pursuit of Patriotism: S.88 - A Firearm Liberty Bill? Think Twice South Carolina! © 2016 Phillip Evans

Thanks for the heads up.

This too:

"TO AMEND SECTION 56-3-1230 OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO LICENSE PLATE SPECIFICATIONS, TO REQUIRE THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES TO ISSUE A STICKER TO EACH CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT HOLDER WHO IS A VEHICLE OWNER THAT MUST BE AFFIXED TO THE VEHICLE OWNER'S LICENSE PLATE TO INDICATE THE VEHICLE OWNER IS A CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT HOLDER."

I've never heard of such a thing. ^^^

How about a sticker that must be worn visibly by the CWP holder or the CWP number tattooed on the arm?

I realize this is not a perfect piece of legislation, but it does address some issues. It is a start. However, Section 5 is a non-starter. I have sent an email to the Senate Judiciary Committee. I will post that here so anyone interested may edit it to suit their needs.

-----Email Follows-----

Honored Committee Members:
I am a Concealed Weapons Permit holder. I read S.88 with interest, as there are several timely issues addressed in this legislation. However, Section 5 gives me cause for concern.
SECTION 5. Section 56-3-1230 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"(C) If a vehicle owner is a concealed weapons permit holder, the department shall affix a sticker to the vehicle owner's license plate identifying the vehicle owner as a concealed weapons permit holder. The department shall establish the specifications for the sticker and the method for obtaining information regarding a vehicle owner's status as a concealed weapons holder."

Ladies and Gentlemen, such an identifying mark would be a very unwise idea. This mark, no matter how well concealed my firearm is, makes it known to the public at large that I am, in fact, armed. What is the point of then concealing my firearm? Further, such a mark, would mark me as someone who possesses firearms of the type that criminals prefer to use in crimes, possibly targeting my home or my person, or even a person driving my vehicle who is not armed, for theft. Someone walking through a grocery store parking lot would need only collect license plate numbers with this decal to set up a list of homes to rob. This unnecessarily increases risk for every CWP holder.
I understand this would give law enforcement information they may need to know in a traffic stop, but this could be accomplished by coding that information to the vehicle registration, so it is displayed in a routine check of the registration, otherwise invisible to the public. This idea is every bit as bad as the idea of publishing names and addresses of CWP holders. I urge you to give this section of the bill utmost attention, and do what you may to remove it from the legislation.
Thank you for your consideration,

-----End Email-----

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back