South Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Link Removed

Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:
Subject: CWP cost.

South Carolina CWP's are free for all disabled vets. All they have to do is include a letter from the VA stating that they do receive at least 10% disability compensation with the (re)application. The letter is available at any VA office and costs nothing but a few minutes of your time and a thank you. It does not add any time to the permit process.

Subject: Open carry.

You are allowed to open carry without a permit on lawfully held (owned or rented) property, whether private or commercial. You are also allowed to open carry on private or commercial property with the express permission of the property holder.

Have a great day.

South Carolina CWP's are free for all disabled vets. All they have to do is include a letter from the VA stating that they do receive at least 10% disability compensation with the (re)application. The letter is available at any VA office and costs nothing but a few minutes of your time and a thank you. It does not add any time to the permit process.

Does this include when renewing?

Does this include when renewing?

Yes it does. I called SLED a few weeks ago because mine is coming up for renewal. She said it has to be submitted within 90 prior to expiration and not a day sooner. You can renew it online and she stated it won't charge you if you have at least a 10% disability. If you paid for the original CWP then you have to submit the letter from the VA with a renewal application to them in order to get it free. Since mine didn't cost me anything the first time I'm going to try the online renewal.

A bit of a technical question for you guys in the know...

The SC CCW permit is a Concealed Weapons Permit according to the SLED website. Does that mean, like in Arizona, a "weapon" as defined in the CCW Regs . . . for example, a knife or dirk with a blade exceeding 2" . . . can be legally carried by a SC CCW Permit holder, assuming it's not for illegal purposes? A switchblade? I've read the law, and maybe I'm dense, but I can't clarify these questions with what it says there. Specifically, see SECTION 16-23-460., where it says "The provisions of this section do not apply to . . . dirks..."

Opinions...?

23-31-210

(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

A permit covers nothing else.

Thanks for the info on the free permit. My instructor didn't include that tidbit!!! I am going to talk with him anout it today and get him to tell his classes in the future.

Clarification to Carry

I and my family have traveled to South Caralina twice a year for some twenty five years. Great state and have plans to retire in SC. I have recently been licensed to carry in Ohio and would like to know the legalities on carrying in the state of SC. Please advise to my obligations to be legal. Thank-You. MJB.

Welcome to the forum, boss of the moss! First start in the first post of this thread by Lukem. There's a lot of great info on that page. Near the bottom follow the thread to our Castle Doctrine. Then follow the link for our state laws. If you have any specific questions please start a new thread and we'll be glad to help you get answers.

you no longer have to include a picture they pull it from your drivers license.

They have been pulling the picture form your DL for quite a while but you still had to submit a recent picture.

I just looked over the new application and am not sure that I am reading it correctly! From what I can tell you no longer have to supply a certificate from the CWP instructor or a listing of arrests.

Basically you just fill out the form and include the Instructor's certification number, a date of training, make a copy of your DL and get fingerprinted.

The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the fingerprint cards. :biggrin:

Be sure to include a money order or cashier's check. NO personal checks or cash.

They have made a bunch of changes lately.

When I took the class they made a color photocopy of our driver's license and had a notary notarize it and that took care of the residency and photograph part of the application. Personally, I would go that route rather than just sending a copy just to avoid any delays to an already lengthy process.

You supply the certificate as proof that you've taken the course within the three year timeframe.

I really wish they would allow true OC.

Don't hold your breath on that. Actually, and I know it will rub some wrong, I would prefer the Tenn. type deal where a permit allows either OC or CC. I know too many people that would love to walk around with a gun that I would feel much better about them not doing it. However that is a totally different arguement.

Hello from Johns Island SC. I am curious to see if anyone knows of where I could attend a CWP class so I can start the process of getting the permit. I know of several people at my company that want to do it but it seems that finding an instructor that is available to hold a class is very difficult.

Hello from Johns Island SC. I am curious to see if anyone knows of where I could attend a CWP class so I can start the process of getting the permit. I know of several people at my company that want to do it but it seems that finding an instructor that is available to hold a class is very difficult.

ATP Guns in Summerville/Ladson is probably the more expensive but they do it all, no going to PD to get fingerprinting done. A little bit of a haul from John's Island. ATP Gunshop & Range

Trader's World in North Charleston does it on Saturdays. Very basic, classroom & qualification testing, you bring your paperwork, etc. but fingerprinting needs to be done elsewhere. Trader World, 7163 Cross County Rd
North Charleston, SC 29418, (843) 552-5964

There are some local trainers that will do groups, don't have the contact information off hand. They'll do the training but you need to have a place to qualify, some require you to go to their place to qualify.:yu:

Don't hold your breath on that. Actually, and I know it will rub some wrong, I would prefer the Tenn. type deal where a permit allows either OC or CC. I know too many people that would love to walk around with a gun that I would feel much better about them not doing it. However that is a totally different arguement.

I'm from TN and would like to see SC adopt a similar policy as well.

Wish I could help but I'm up in the Myrtle Beach part of the state and don't know much about your area. Good luck with finding the class!

if you're still looking for a place to take a class, try BELT training. bit of a drive, but all inclusive - they have someone there to print you, they send it all off for you, and include a home cooked awesome lunch! it is close to the I-95 and hwy 15 intersection. 10000% worth it. www.belttraining.com

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back