South Carolina Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

Are there any more stringent record requirements to getting a CCW? I have heard both sides 'if you can legally purchase the handgun you can get a CCW' and the other that your record must be flawless? Which is it?

We are constantly argruing about the "carry in establishments selling alchol for consumping" What it actually says is:

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption.

The restriction should be on the list and it is not. "UNLAWFULLY" should mean concealed carry without a permit.

We need a test case . . . Volunteers?

Are there any more stringent record requirements to getting a CCW? I have heard both sides 'if you can legally purchase the handgun you can get a CCW' and the other that your record must be flawless? Which is it?

I realize this reply is months late, but maybe someone else will be looking for the same answer at some point...

My record is not flawless, but I had no issue getting a permit. I have plenty of traffic violations, and a few misdemeanors. I do not have any felony or domestic abuse convictions.

You don't have to be squeaky clean, just reasonably clean.

We are constantly argruing about the "carry in establishments selling alchol for consumping" What it actually says is:

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption.

The restriction should be on the list and it is not. "UNLAWFULLY" should mean concealed carry without a permit.

We need a test case . . . Volunteers?

I agree with this interpretation. So did my CWP course instructors, but they also made it very clear there was very little precedent in SC for this specific situation, and unless you desired to be the test case you should refrain from carrying into bars or restaurants which server alcohol until such a time the law was clarified.

I don't have the time, money or inclination to be such a case. I hope this gets clarified sooner rather than later. I do not enjoy disarming myself, especially due to such legal vagueness.

A thought to ponder

Hello

The letter of the law (according to our interpretation at best) states that you can not carry a firearm into an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages for consumption. Following this mandate means that you will be sitting in this establishment while your firearm is locked in your vehicle in hopes that some non law abiding turd decides to come into the same establishment and start shooting innocent civilians. That includes you and your loved ones as well. What are the chances of that happening? I would say slim to none but then again all it takes is that "one time" and you will be sitting there (running for your life) with your pants down and unarmed.

I have two schools of thought on this. If you are carrying concealed and you are there to have a good time and eat dinner with your family and you do not do something stupid to reveal that you are armed then no one will be the wiser and you will be able to answer any gun toting turd that decides to ruin your dinner. Yes, the threat will be neutralized and you will find yourself in the back of a patrol car with cuffs on. The cool thing about that is you will be alive and so will your family. It is not the perfect situation but at least you will live to tell the story which is the reason why we carry to begin with, to protect ourselves and our loved ones from idiots in society that thinks that laws dont apply to them and they can do as they please.

The other school of thought may be simpler and less messy. If you do not want to be a test case then simply do not visit establishments that sell alcohol. If everyone that carries a concealed weapon legally were to boycott all of their local businesses that sell alcohol and let them know that you nor your family will not be spending your money there then that might motivate them to help us get the laws rewritten. We must educate ourselves as to what the laws are and then be proactive through groups like this to approach our law makers and ask them to make the necessary changes to the laws so that we can do what we need to do within reason. Amen or Oh me?

Carry into an establishment that sells alcohol

I have read and I can add the posting that says its unclear. It doesn't specify sitting at the bar or just in the resturant. Therefore, as long as u are not in or around the bar and not drinking... Unless instructed to remove it out the resturant by the owner its fine.

I have read and I can add the posting that says its unclear. It doesn't specify sitting at the bar or just in the resturant. Therefore, as long as u are not in or around the bar and not drinking... Unless instructed to remove it out the resturant by the owner its fine.
Actually, the law is pretty damn clear, however un-Constitutional it may be. You cannot lawfully carry into an establishment that sells alcohol for on premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both. In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

That doesn't leave much wiggle room. Let me know when you want to be the test case and I'll be happy to be there to call the cops and film the arrest. I won't be expecting your call.

Yeah, except SC CWP is still extremely limited in it's reciprocity. Having the Utah permit in addition gives you a lot more range of travel interstate. Almost as much as having a Michigan CCW alone offers.

I live in NC and have applied for a CCH permit, however it will take 3-4 months before I get it. In the meantime, I plan to transport my handgun in the cab of my pickup truck between NC and SC, locking it in the cab while playing golf.

My question is simple. Do I need to install a gun safe or can I simply lock the gun in my range bag and keep it behind my seat?

The range bag has individual locking compartments that use luggage zipper locks to secure them.

Per the law - you can store it in a "secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle"

IANAL but considering I stow my luggage in my cab of my truck and if it is in a closed container secured with an integral fastener, i.e. maybe like a zipped range bag, that would fit the definition.

In SC you do not need a permit to have a handgun in the car. It does not need to be locked up. It can be in the glove box or console so of course the trunk or bag is fine. Stay off school grounds unless you have a permit to carry and then it must be off your body. I think SC also included "under the drivers seat" but I wouldn't swear to it.

Without a CHP, NC is trickier for vehicle carry than SC. In NC the gun must be in view, or inaccessible to both driver and passengers. In SC, just out of sight.

So in NC, you could have it on your dash or console, and then put it in the console as you cross into SC.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back