South Carolina, New Residents

Terry G

My Daughter and Son-in-law are permantley re-locating to South Carolina. Would some of our Forum members give me some information on what they can or can't do until they get their resident divers licenses? For example, how to transport to the range, how to store in the home, and is open carry allowed in rural areas? They both will be applying for CCW permits, is this difficult in South Carolina? I checked the websites, but I would appreciate any Forum information. Thank You

Welcome to South Carolina.

Transport - Handguns can be carried in the glove compartment, console or trunk (behind the rear seat in a SUV) with or without a CWP. Can be loaded in the glove compartment and console (and trunk but think safety). As for long gun transport there are very few laws that I can find.

Store in home - No restrictions other than common sense.

Open Carry - Prohibited except on private property with permission. On your own property or someone else's property if they say OK then no restrictions. Also you can OC while hunting or fishing if you have a hunting or fishing license and to and from such.

CWP - Just find an instructor and the process is easy. One day class of 4 hour learing laws etc. then some range time. Send application to SLED and it takes up to 90 days but is easy other than the waiting.

CWP Class

The class is 8 hours. If your in the southern part of the state, I recommend palmetto indoor range. They are awesome. There is also one close called palmetto state shooting center and DO NOT go there. They are the worst. Welcome to SC.

If they are moving to Charleston area, there are 2 very good classes that I am familiar with; one is Belt Training (843)729-3822; email: [email protected]. James Judy and wife Lisa Marie are excellent and you get a good lunch from Lisa; the other is ATP Gunshop in Summerville (843)873-2250; web: ATP Gunshop & Range. Both provide all the services you need--just do it and wait for your permit. I used the Judys and found them to be extremely helpful and very competent.

Dang, when did 8 hours of class? When I took it (twice and don't ask) it was four or so of class time minimum and then the range was supposed to be four hours. The second time it was about 6 hours of class then we had about four hours on the range. The class ran long as the instructor wanted to be sure we covered everything.

Dang, when did 8 hours of class? When I took it (twice and don't ask) it was four or so of class time minimum and then the range was supposed to be four hours. The second time it was about 6 hours of class then we had about four hours on the range. The class ran long as the instructor wanted to be sure we covered everything.

I think it was least two years ago. The last few classes I helped with we did 4hrs-6hr inside class and two-four hours outside which included safe handling techniques, clearing malfuntions & live fire practice.

If I'm not mistaken, you now have to have a total of 9hrs (8hr class including the written test and 1hr range time which includes practice and qualification).

-

I think it was least two years ago. The last few classes I helped with we did 4hrs-6hr inside class and two-four hours outside which included safe handling techniques, clearing malfuntions & live fire practice.

If I'm not mistaken, you now have to have a total of 9hrs (8hr class including the written test and 1hr range time which includes practice and qualification).

-

The 4-6 and 2-4 was what we had last time I took the class but it wound up being about 10 hours total. Steve Cooper with Paladin Training of Florence did a great job trying to cover as much as he could and I highly recommend him. To me the class part of it is the big thing and more people need to take the course just to know the laws and response to situations. I agree that we should not be required to have to get a permit but if you carry you should know the laws and safety.

On a related note... Does S.C. offer a "non-resident" carry permit? I live in GA., but have recently taken a job that may require frequent trips into, or through S.C. and I would like to be able to carry legally.

According to the reciprocity maps I've seen, the GA. license is not honored in S.C.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back