Some times I worry about my felllow gun owners

Treo

Bullet Proof
I’m getting ready to leave work tonight and 3 of my co-workers start talking about guns. I didn’t listen to the whole conversation but I heard one of them talking about all the cool gunz for sale at the PX on Ft. Carson. “They’re really cheap and all need is someone in the Army to buy them for you… “

At this point I turn around and tell them that they are talking about a straw purchase and they could go to jail for a really long time for it.

Their response? “Oh you don’t know”

Then they start talking about different ranges in town some one mentions Rampart Range and they proceed to talk about how it got closed because some Mexicans got in a gang fight up there….

I join their conversation again to mention that Rampart Range was closed because some one got shot when their muzzle loader malfunctioned and it’s been proven that unsafe firing practice had nothing to do w/ the incident

The conversation moves on to this wonderful huge new range that will be built on Ft. Carson. It will be open to the public and it’ll be big enough to shoot a Barret on "the General said so" ... ( I so wanted to ask " Are we talking about the ADCM? The Post Commander? the Meddac Commander? which General said? but I didn't)

By this time you’d think I’d had enough sense to just shut up, finish my paper work and leave but noooooo. Glutton for punishment that I am I decide to take one last shot at it and I mention that I’d be hesitant to fire on an on post range because you’re required to register your guns w/ the Post Provost Marshall before you’re allowed to bring them on post . You know what happened next right?

To be fair I’m 46 and I think the oldest of them was like 24 maybe. So, I’m sure they thought I was just some old fart that didn’t know but I’ve met rocks w/ higher IQ’s than theirs collectively.

Am I being a hypocrite to say that if it was up to me none of the three would ever get into the same grid square as a gun ever again?

I mean just their conversation in that short time convinced me that they aren’t old enough to be trusted w/ a firearm ( and two of them have at least 2 deployments in Afghanistan under their belts) w/ out direct adult supervision.

Was I that much of a know it all when I was 23 ?

You are absolutely right about registering firearms with the post Provost Marshall. That is AR 190-13 if I remember correctly. Plus most base commanders add requirements on top of what is required by the AR. I do have fun with the PM because when I have hunted on and installation I have used a flintlock that I built from parts. There is no serial number and they always insist that there is a serial number somewhere. I actually recently found an installation that required Bows to be registered with the PM before hunting.

As for if you were that much of a know it all at 23, I don't know. I do know I tended to be that way a bit.

YMOS,
Tony

Some people are dumb. A wise man of any age would listen to your advice. If they do as they say (straw purchase), then they're committing a serious crime and they should not be allowed near a gun... says the law. So you are NOT at all a hypocrite. Just responsible.

I’m getting ready to leave work tonight and 3 of my co-workers start talking about guns. I didn’t listen to the whole conversation but I heard one of them talking about all the cool gunz for sale at the PX on Ft. Carson. “They’re really cheap and all need is someone in the Army to buy them for you… “

At this point I turn around and tell them that they are talking about a straw purchase and they could go to jail for a really long time for it.

Then they start talking about different ranges in town some one mentions Rampart Range and they proceed to talk about how it got closed because some Mexicans got in a gang fight up there….

I join their conversation again to mention that Rampart Range was closed because some one got shot when their muzzle loader malfunctioned and it’s been proven that unsafe firing practice had nothing to do w/ the incident

The conversation moves on to this wonderful huge new range that will be built on Ft. Carson. It will be open to the public and it’ll be big enough to shoot a Barret on "the General said so" ... ( I so wanted to ask " Are we talking about the ADCM? The Post Commander? the Meddac Commander? which General said? but I didn't)

By this time you’d think I’d had enough sense to just shut up, finish my paper work and leave but noooooo. Glutton for punishment that I am I decide to take one last shot at it and I mention that I’d be hesitant to fire on an on post range because you’re required to register your guns w/ the Post Provost Marshall before you’re allowed to bring them on post . You know what happened next right?

To be fair I’m 46 and I think the oldest of them was like 24 maybe. So, I’m sure they thought I was just some old fart that didn’t know but I’ve met rocks w/ higher IQ’s than theirs collectively.

Am I being a hypocrite to say that if it was up to me none of the three would ever get into the same grid square as a gun ever again?

I mean just their conversation in that short time convinced me that they aren’t old enough to be trusted w/ a firearm ( and two of them have at least 2 deployments in Afghanistan under their belts) w/ out direct adult supervision.

Was I that much of a know it all when I was 23 ?

They will get what's coming to them, people like that always do.

They'll learn the hard way. They'll be somebody's girlfriend in prison and then they won't be able to legally own firearms anymore. They can't say they haven't been warned.

I hope there are no soldiers at Ft. Carson who are dumb enough to make a straw purchase for a civilian. Not only will he lose his PX privileges but his freedom for a while. That might entitle him to become a resident of Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas (inside those large gray walls).

If two of these guys have done deployments to Afghanistan, then why would they need someone else to purchase something from the PX? I mean, with the exception of a dishonorable discharge, I would think that they would be entitled to purchase anything that they wanted at the PX.

Treo,...you don't know.

Sorry couldn't resist. I agree someone will eventually school them on what they are legally allowed to do and it will probably come from the big ole UCMJ book they throw at them.

I was never "20-something", or a teenager for that matter therefore I've alway's known nothing...

A straw purchase is when someone purchases a firearm for someone who is legally barred from purchasing the firearm, if the person receiving the firearm is not barred it is not a straw purchase.

"oh you don't know?"
Yeah, if they keep talking like that, get an LEO to talk to them and explain how much of the law they are breaking.

Aww come on guys! We were all know it alls at one point in our lives even if we won't admit it out loud!Give the young pups a break.

Treo, the best thing you can do for your 3 Musketeers is to educate them and try to draw them into the reality of THIS world!

And if they won't listen or learn, well then roll up a wet news paper and give 'em a good swat on the nose! That'll get their attention!

A straw purchase is when someone purchases a firearm for someone who is legally barred from purchasing the firearm, if the person receiving the firearm is not barred it is not a straw purchase.

Nope, you are wrong.... answering one thing on the firearm purchase form, and doing another is a BIG no-no, not that ANY of that crap is Constitutional though....

Axeanda45:214524 said:

Nope, you are wrong.... answering one thing on the firearm purchase form, and doing another is a BIG no-no, not that ANY of that crap is Constitutional though....
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/straw+purchase?region=us. This is a link the dictionary. Please check the meaning of straw purchase.

If two of these guys have done deployments to Afghanistan, then why would they need someone else to purchase something from the PX? I mean, with the exception of a dishonorable discharge, I would think that they would be entitled to purchase anything that they wanted at the PX.

First one of the "guys" is a girl. Second, one is still USAR one is out he's the one that needs someone to buy for him (but only on Ft. Carson)

Yeah , no. A straw purchase is any purchase designed to get around the 4473

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back