Some news on ranges in the Chicago area

ScottMac

I checked out a new place up in Crystal Lake called "On Target Range and Tactical Center" - Very Nice!
They have two ranges; one for handguns (25M), one for rifles (50M). Both are well ventilated and clean. The rifle range has lower benches and stools for shooting from a rest. Both ranges are restricted from shooting steel-core ammo to help preserve the traps. The ammo will be checked, and if it's magnetic, it can't be used (was a challenge for feeding my AK). Most / all Bear, Tiger, Tula, some Herters and a couple others are not allowed. I was able to find suitable ammo at Cabella's and GAT (a local gun shop), but it's not a cheap as the steel case/ steel core stuff.
Overall the facility is very nice. The have quantity range passes, and memberships that cut the range costs in roughly in half.

GAT has plans posted in their entrance showing a new expansion that includes some rifle ranges (50M and 75M) due for completion in the first half of 2013.
Website w/ details (upper right corner): GAT GUNS - FIREARMS SUPERSTORE

Maxon in Arlington Heights received Des Plaines city council approval for construction of their new place, which also includes new handgun and rifle ranges.

I'm looking forward to using all of these facilities!

Maxon is currently already in Desplaines, and just got approval to move to another location in Desplaines.

Shore Galleries in Lincolnwood is looking to expand as well and is seeking Lincolnwood township approval to do so. They had a meeting July 17th, but I do not know the outcome of that meeting.

Have you tried the new Article II gunshop in Lombard? Owned by the same owner of Gunworld previously on Irving Park Rd before the Ohare expansion? I haven't been there myself but I hear good things. Amazing the progress we are making in Illinois when it comes to firearms.

I believe there' are ranges on every street corner in Englewood on the South Side, Little Village on the Southwest Side and Humbolt Park on the North Side. Also anywhere along the Eisenhower expressway.

:laugh: :rolleyes:

Yep, been to Article Two as well; great ranges! They have lounge area with some pop & snack machines. The old place had some too, but this is a nicer lounge.
I worked part time at Gun World a long time ago, the new ranges are orders of magnitude better (better ventilation, better target travelers). They hade an "auto" setting to send the target a set distance, but a friend of mine that's been there recently says that feature is now disabled.

The store is pretty much the same stuff as the old store ... I recognize some of the used / curio stock (like the Nazi tanker Luger with the longer barrel, stock, and holster).

It's way back in an industrial park, maybe a little hard to find (On Target is back in an industrial park too).

I haven't been to Shore in decades, I thought they were closed. Way back it seemed their primary mission was selling to cops and making up the margin by overcharging the civilians. When my place of work moved out of Evanston, I stopped going to Shore because it was too far out of the way.

Bell's on Manheim, South of Irving Park, used to be pretty good too but I think Cook County pretty much drove 'em out of business.
I haven't been to Midwest in decades, but they used to have the best 1911 gunsmith(s) in the metro area.
I'm looking forward to checking out Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park; I don't know anyone that's been there, and I haven't see any reports, but their advertisements sound like they have a good facility.
Gun Doctor too (in/near Glendale Heights), but I don't get down that way very often. I have some time coming up, maybe I can check 'em out and post something ...

Yep, been to Article Two as well; great ranges! They have lounge area with some pop & snack machines. The old place had some too, but this is a nicer lounge.
I worked part time at Gun World a long time ago, the new ranges are orders of magnitude better (better ventilation, better target travelers). They hade an "auto" setting to send the target a set distance, but a friend of mine that's been there recently says that feature is now disabled.

The store is pretty much the same stuff as the old store ... I recognize some of the used / curio stock (like the Nazi tanker Luger with the longer barrel, stock, and holster).

It's way back in an industrial park, maybe a little hard to find (On Target is back in an industrial park too).

I haven't been to Shore in decades, I thought they were closed. Way back it seemed their primary mission was selling to cops and making up the margin by overcharging the civilians. When my place of work moved out of Evanston, I stopped going to Shore because it was too far out of the way.

Bell's on Manheim, South of Irving Park, used to be pretty good too but I think Cook County pretty much drove 'em out of business.
I haven't been to Midwest in decades, but they used to have the best 1911 gunsmith(s) in the metro area.
I'm looking forward to checking out Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park; I don't know anyone that's been there, and I haven't see any reports, but their advertisements sound like they have a good facility.
Gun Doctor too (in/near Glendale Heights), but I don't get down that way very often. I have some time coming up, maybe I can check 'em out and post something ...

Gat is my favorite place to spend a few hours drooling and dreaming, their stock is huge. Article 2 is clean and quiet and on my way to work, definitely a thumbs up for them. I rode the bus to IGOLD that they sponsored.

I went in to Gun Doctor on Lake street and honestly, as I talked to the gun smith he pretty much had the typical elitist attitude and was more concerned about getting back to his sandwich than helping me. That really sucks because its a full service gunsmith mere minutes from my house but I really dont think I would step foot in there again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back