Some bills (finally) up in the legislature

SmiddySW

Read yesterday there some bills going up in Oh govt.
One was for no carry license requirement other than having been legal to purchase the handgun. Suppose that's essentially "constitutional carry." Was glad to see this.

Another was regarding duty to inform being deleted.

And one that would prohibit employers from banning employees from leaving a firearm locked in their vehicle on company property.

Last one I can remember had to do with active duty and retired military not needing a CHL if they carry military ID and proof of their weapons training

Personally I feel that if someone can legally purchase a handgun they should be legally ok to carry it open or concealed.

All this other stuff is the government getting revenue for "granting" our rights that they have no business in to begin with!

Don't get me wrong, I do everything possible to be legal in every aspect of life, but think it's ridiculous for our right to purchase proper tools and carry them to defend ourselves to be regulated. Glad the guys who fought the Revolutionary War weren't under such firearms oppressive laws else we'd not be a free nation.

Lastly, no i didn't get the bill numbers or save links. Saw the articles on the WHIOTV app for my area.

USAF(Ret)

And one that would prohibit employers from banning employees from leaving a firearm locked in their vehicle on company property.

This is already the law and has been since March 21st. This was in SB 199 which passed last December.

Last one I can remember had to do with active duty and retired military not needing a CHL if they carry military ID and proof of their weapons training

This is already in place, too, for active duty military members. I don't recall seeing anything under consideration for retired members.

IMHO, HB 233 is the one to watch this year--it makes inadvertent carry into a GFZ a trespassing charge if caught and asked to leave. With 51 sponsors in the House, it has a lot going for it.

Here's a run-down of current firearm-related bills under consideration in the OH General Assembly:

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-gun-legislation-guide

That listing on BFA's web site is nowhere near complete.

The bill regarding military is SB 81: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA132-SB-81

I would love to see HB 233 pass. The bill that has progressed the farthest so far is HB 142 (remove notification) which has had three committee hearings. I'm hoping it will get passed out of committee and gets a floor vote before the General Assembly goes into summer recess. Once summer recess starts nothing will happen until mid-September.

SB 81 waives fees and relaxes training requirements for military and veterans applying for a CHL. I think the OP confused it with an earlier bill that is now law.

Is anyone maintaining a complete list of 2A-related bills in the OH GA?

I've become very familiar with the IL GA but am now attempting to learn more about OH due to our pending relocation. Thanks for the info.

Is anyone maintaining a complete list of 2A-related bills in the OH GA?

I'm not aware of anywhere online that has a complete listing including the two major Ohio organizations BFA and OFCC. I have an Excel spreadsheet where I track all the bills as they progress through the Ohio General Assembly.

Basically, I scan the session journals ( Link Removed ) of the House and Senate looking to see what bills have been introduced that day. Then I track their progress in whatever committee they are assigned to. Committee hearing testimony is posted online so you can even see who testified in favor of the bill and who testified against the bill. Seeing what the antis say can be amusing sometimes.

I'm not aware of anywhere online that has a complete listing including the two major Ohio organizations BFA and OFCC. I have an Excel spreadsheet where I track all the bills as they progress through the Ohio General Assembly.

Basically, I scan the session journals ( Link Removed ) of the House and Senate looking to see what bills have been introduced that day. Then I track their progress in whatever committee they are assigned to. Committee hearing testimony is posted online so you can even see who testified in favor of the bill and who testified against the bill. Seeing what the antis say can be amusing sometimes.

Thanks for the insight.

Have you considered offering to post your status spreadsheet on BFA's web site? That would be informative for all who are interested in tracking these bills.

Does the OH GA provide a live feed of their committee hearings and floor deliberations? IL does this and that is really eye-opening.

Have you considered offering to post your status spreadsheet on BFA's web site? That would be informative for all who are interested in tracking these bills.

Does the OH GA provide a live feed of their committee hearings and floor deliberations? IL does this and that is really eye-opening.

I'm not a member of BFA. The only Ohio group I am a member of is Ohioans for Concealed Carry. https://ohioccw.org/ OFCC forum is here: Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums ? Index page

Some committee hearings are broadcast but not the ones that deal with gun bills. Floor sessions are broadcast live here The Ohio Channel and the debates over gun bills can be entertaining. The most entertaining time was when a Cleveland Democrat was using the old tired argument that guns were meant for the militia which he pronounced mill-lih-tee-uh.

IMHO, HB 233 is the one to watch this year--it makes inadvertent carry into a GFZ a trespassing charge if caught and asked to leave. With 51 sponsors in the House, it has a lot going for it.

HB 233 passed the House today by a vote of 64-32. Now it goes to the Senate. Since summer recess is starting don't look for any further movement on this bill until some time in the fall.

HB 233 passed the House today by a vote of 64-32. Now it goes to the Senate. Since summer recess is starting don't look for any further movement on this bill until some time in the fall.

Thank you for the update! That's good news. Any projections on how it will be received in the Senate?

Thank you for the update! That's good news. Any projections on how it will be received in the Senate?

24 Republicans and 9 Democrats in the Senate. I am optimistic. One thing I'm a little puzzled about is that four gun bills have been introduced in the Senate and assigned to the Judiciary Committee. For some reason the committee has not held a single hearing on any of those bills yet this session. I'm just wondering what the heck are they waiting for?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back