so what changes to NC gun laws do we need next in your opinion?

Actually drinking and carrying a firearm is not like drinking and driving, it's more like drinking and carrying car keys. Having car keys in your pocket doesn't mean you are driving, have a firearm in it's holster doesn't mean you are shooting. If someone has a few beers at red robin during dinner, I still think they should have the ability to defend themselves in an emergency, just like they should have the ability to drive somewhere in an emergency. Drinking and carrying car keys isn't illegal, why should a firearm be any different?

I don't even drink and I agree with this.

Self protection is not exactly something you can just hand off. Like calling a cab and have it take you home. Agreed, ideally you should not drink (or at least not get drunk) while you carry.

resturant with on premsis and car carry in any place including state parks, educational ( because right now you are not legal have your gun in your car at 90% of hospital parking lots or college campuses)

Actually drinking and carrying a firearm is not like drinking and driving, it's more like drinking and carrying car keys. Having car keys in your pocket doesn't mean you are driving, have a firearm in it's holster doesn't mean you are shooting. If someone has a few beers at red robin during dinner, I still think they should have the ability to defend themselves in an emergency, just like they should have the ability to drive somewhere in an emergency. Drinking and carrying car keys isn't illegal, why should a firearm be any different?

. I know I'll get a ration for this BUT IMHO zero BAC to CC/OC whilst off your own property. Your judgment/emotions are impaired with ingestion of alcohol. IF you feel the need to protect yourself don't drink! If you have a problem with NOT drinking then you may a a problem with drinking. While the key analogy seems to be a good one, you're not normally going to engage in a behavior that requires LIFE/DEATH decision making. I also add that how many of you have driven after knowing that you REALLY shouldn't be behind the wheel. Jus saying, my opinion

No drinking and carrying, but we should be allowed to carry in bar if we're not drinking. I think it does make sense that if you've been given a license for CC, then you should be able to carry everywhere. Open carry, though, is different. I can see how that wouldn't fly in a lot of places. Regarding the previous hunting on Sundays suggestion, I really like the fact that there is NO hunting on Sundays. It's nice to have that day to go hiking without having to worry about stray bullets and the sound of gunfire in the woods.

No drinking and carrying, but we should be allowed to carry in bar if we're not drinking. I think it does make sense that if you've been given a license for CC, then you should be able to carry everywhere. Open carry, though, is different. I can see how that wouldn't fly in a lot of places. Regarding the previous hunting on Sundays suggestion, I really like the fact that there is NO hunting on Sundays. It's nice to have that day to go hiking without having to worry about stray bullets and the sound of gunfire in the woods.

Sunday hunting is allowed on private property. Regardless of what you really like, which really doesn't have anything to do with it, except you have a vote at the polls, the state is losing revenue to bordering states which allow it. If you're planning a hunting trip, are you going somewhere that allows Sunday hunting or doesn't? In the end, I think we'll end up with it, simply because bordering states allow it.

I don't see any problem with it on private property. You're objections, while duly noted, notwithstanding :)

Yep, private property would be the exception. State parks, national forests, etc-----for me it works to have Sunday be a no-hunting day.
I don't know other states' laws---SC and TN have Sunday hunting?

I agree about restaurant carry, movies etc. on the fence about being able to consume alcohol, though. If a beer or two emboldened you just past the point of doing everything possible to avoid using your weapon, it could get very ugly in many ways. Not just for you in court, but for all of us when the backlash tightened legal restraints, rather than what we want, which is expansion.

Absurd law. Can't carry in a restuarant? Even liberal NYS allows carry in bars and restuarants. So much for "shall-issue."

That's the one area where NY beats NC, true. But how many people have permits in NY and how hard are they to get? I am not dissing you, it's a serious question.

That's the one area where NY beats NC, true. But how many people have permits in NY and how hard are they to get? I am not dissing you, it's a serious question.

In a population of 11 million there are 1.3 million CCW permits. Being in the permit business we've handled over 1,800 permits in the past few years with only two denials. Once was a convicted felon. One had pled to a reduced charge from a simple assault. The permit process in NYS follows a specific law. There are no arbitrary denials. Everyone without a past criminal or psych history gets a permit. The process is a little long due to backlog and varies from a few months in lower counties to a year in small upstate counties.

In NY there are no education, training or qualification requirements. Most counties issue an unrestricted permit. Some issue only unrestricted permits (40 miles from NYC). There are no limitations on carry in a bar, under the influence of alcohol, in resturarants, on public transportation, in churches, hospitals, medical offices, banks, cars, etc. The permit is valid for life, no renewals needed. There are no gun control laws waiting to be enacted. The population oves about unmolested by crazy laws.

Those in "shall-issue" states need to know that there is no such thing as a shall-issue state. As in NYS, all have a provision under the law to completely deny certain classes of people. All are simply one election away from newly seated officials exercising the state's right to end all carry (as per fed law). A "shall-issue" state that denies it's permit holders the right to move about freely has placed restrictions on that permit. So they "shall issue" a permit and then restrict where and when.

i agree that if you are ccw you should not be drinking, but should be able to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. anyone remember the mass murder at Luigi's in Fayetteville some years back?

I believe that the laws regarding what disqualifies a person from getting the CCW should be changed. As they stand right now if a person made a mistake and was found guilty of a disqualifying crime it doesn't matter if it was yesterday or 30 years ago the applicant will be denied. There needs to be a time limit set because sometimes people make mistakes when they are young which is the case that brought this to my attention. The short story is that a man in my county was arrested and found guilty of fighting at Myrtle Beach when he was 18. He is now 64, living by himself and wants to get a CCW permit. He has NO criminal record of any kind and has been unsuccessful at getting his CCW.

This needs to change.

I also agree with most of what everyone has already pointed out, but I would like to add one thing that I think should change. Not so much dealing with where we are allowed to carry, but more dealing with what businesses are required to do if they don't want to allow weapons in their establishment. As I understand the law, they have to display the their wishes conspicuously so that a reasonable person can see it. While most places do that, I have found a couple that didn't. Such as the Aldi's near where I live. They have it posted in text only that is in such small font that the whole line isn't much longer than a few inches long. Such that, you have to stop and bend over to actually read it. I know, I had to do a double take it was so small. So I would like some sort of a definition to businesses as to what they must display so I don't break the law because I didn't see the little blurb that you need a magnifying glass to read. I know this mean more government regulation, and that is not always good, but It would make law abiding citizens life much easier.

I agree with everyone else. Why place restaurants, movie theaters, and other places where you have to pay admission as off limits to conceal carry? The only ones that don't follow these laws are the criminal "insane" individuals who show up at these places and open fire on law abiding citizens.

I agree with everyone else. Why place restaurants, movie theaters, and other places where you have to pay admission as off limits to conceal carry? The only ones that don't follow these laws are the criminal "insane" individuals who show up at these places and open fire on law abiding citizens.

One of the movie theaters close to the Aurora shooting actually just changed to anti gun policy. It's amazing.

One of the movie theaters close to the Aurora shooting actually just changed to anti gun policy. It's amazing.

That's the logic behind all these "No Weapons Allowed" signs. Once you put up your sign it creates a mystical barrier which is impenetrable by gun totting evil doers.

Seriously though my thoughts go along these lines. The Aurora shooter was not a legal carrying citizen that was sitting in the theater and then suddenly decided "Hey, I'm going to shoot everybody up!". His attack was planned and orchestrated - do the gun grabbers really think all his months of planning could have been thwarted by a simple sign? I swear it seems as though our society is growing dumber and more idealistic as the years pass. Everyone lives inside their own little world.

That's the logic behind all these "No Weapons Allowed" signs. Once you put up your sign it creates a mystical barrier which is impenetrable by gun totting evil doers.

Seriously though my thoughts go along these lines. The Aurora shooter was not a legal carrying citizen that was sitting in the theater and then suddenly decided "Hey, I'm going to shoot everybody up!". His attack was planned and orchestrated - do the gun grabbers really think all his months of planning could have been thwarted by a simple sign? I swear it seems as though our society is growing dumber and more idealistic as the years pass. Everyone lives inside their own little world.

If anything the Aurora shooting should cause people to wake up:

Police did not even need to respond as in drive there, they were already THERE. And still unable to prevent the attack.

All the good law abiding citizens had followed the rules and obediently disarmed. Nobody was able to shoot back. We will never know if that would have helped but we do know it didn't help that nobody was able to shoot back from the resulting body count.

Once the shooter encountered the first armed resitance he gave up.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back