So is OC legal?

XD40scinNC

This is posted at my Credit Union, in NC.
NC is a OC state, and has no limitations on carry in a financial institution.

So if I am CC'ing, and I uncover my gun and OC into the CU? Has anyone done this, has anyone that normally OC's carried into a business with a sign worded to ban CC only.

In NC gunbuster signs do have the power of law, though there is no standard as to size, color, wording, or location, other than vague references as being near an entrance.

That is a very good question. A private business has the right to ask you to leave even if their signs do not meet legal description. But some fool put "Concealed weapon" in stead of "no weapons" in an unrestricted open carry state. Sign designer could be in hot water. Ban only applies to concealed weapons although that obviously was not their intent.

Legally you would appear to be ok (advice of this this nature is worth nearly a much as it costs) but a prosecutor could still cause you a ton of grief and perhaps you would be risking your CCP. Call the cop shop and ask them how they would handle the call. Write down the name of the officer you talk to and make sure he has some authority.

This could be highly entertaining. Do please keep us informed.:wacko:

Ask the credit union, if they say no weapons at all, tell them they have to change their sign. Then I would suggest going to a different credit union that hasn't made that choice.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Private property rights take precedence over just about everything else. The sign may only address CC, but if a representative of the bank approaches you while OCing and asks you to remove your firearm from the premises, you would be required to do so. Only one way to find out, and as long as state law doesn't prohibit OC in a bank, then you should be free to do so until asked not to do it.

Then you need to decide if you want to continue doing business with them.

Ask the credit union, if they say no weapons at all, tell them they have to change their sign. Then I would suggest going to a different credit union that hasn't made that choice.

Changing CU's ain't an option, as this one provides all the services, convenience, and online banking that I need, and no fees. I find myself actually "in" the CU only once or twice a year, and I will never ever give any of my money to a "for profit" bank.

Changing CU's ain't an option, as this one provides all the services, convenience, and online banking that I need, and no fees. I find myself actually "in" the CU only once or twice a year, and I will never ever give any of my money to a "for profit" bank.

I hear you...I'm fortunate enough (as sad as it is to say that) that my credit union doesn't prohibit firearms from any of their branches. Good luck!

I was with the NCSECU for about a year carried every day, OC of course. no one said anything. till one dip stick said they were scaarrred.
so the manager told me not to carry in there but i was welcome. I pointed out that it said CC, but the cow wouldn't listen.
i then called the corporate, and talked to some guy who claimed to be a VP. even though I argued with him and won the argument. he still would not change it.
I consider the NCSECU to be a very anti American business. I now go to First Citizens, and Wells Fargo. i go there all the time and have talked to employees about carry and they had no problem

BTW, the signs in NC have no power of law. the property owner has to tell you in person to leave. then if you refuse to leave, they can only charge you with trespass

BTW, the signs in NC have no power of law. the property owner has to tell you in person to leave. then if you refuse to leave, they can only charge you with trespass
In NC it is an "infraction" that is either at $100 fine, or surrender of your CHP.

§ 14-415.21. Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction.(a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14-415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14-3.1. In lieu of paying a fine the person may surrender the permit.

(a1) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun in violation of subdivision (c)(8) or subsection (c2) of G.S. 14-415.11 shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) A person who violates the provisions of this Article other than as set forth in subsection (a) or (a1) of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 21(a); 2013-369, s. 16.)

In NC it is an "infraction" that is either at $100 fine, or surrender of your CHP.

surrender your CHP. big deal! the only reason i have one is so i don't have to do that stupid, bigoted, waste of time, PPP

still the signs mean nothing. the agent of the property must tell you to leave. they can even do that if there is no sign. still then you will not be charged unless you refuse to leave

I frequent a thrift store that has a similar sign - no concealed weapons - so I asked the manager that same question. She said that it wouldn't bother her at all. From that point on, I OC'd there.
As I was cashing out one time, a crashier asked if I was a LEO. I said, NO. Why do you ask?
She pointed to my 1911 and said that they don't allow them in the store. I explained that the sign says "no concealed weapons" and this one is not concealed.
She asked, "What DO concealed mean ?"
My CU didn't used to have signs but recently put them up. I won't say what I do when I have to frequent their locations....

surrender your CHP. big deal! the only reason i have one is so i don't have to do that stupid, bigoted, waste of time, PPP
Since having a CHP is the only way to have my gun with me when on a school campus, not an option. I teach at a college, I pick up grandsons at the elementary and middle school.

Not to mention that a CHP makes having a gun in your vehicle is simplified and can remain on my hip instead of having to place it "in plain sight".

Plus I prefer CC over OC, a personal choice, MY choice!

Since having a CHP is the only way to have my gun with me when on a school campus, not an option. I teach at a college, I pick up grandsons at the elementary and middle school.

Not to mention that a CHP makes having a gun in your vehicle is simplified and can remain on my hip instead of having to place it "in plain sight".

Plus I prefer CC over OC, a personal choice, MY choice!

Sorry, i am usually good about keeping up with laws. i thought it was illegal in NC to carry a gun on collage campus. the last time i checked a CHP only allowed you to keep it in your car (which i think is wrong). same with elementary schools

i am not going to knock how you carry. just carry and carry all the time

I'm not sure about NC, but in TN you can have your gun in your car or on you when your in your car but you supposedly cannot walk around with it, this is CC or OC, now that being said and I certainly am not advocating doing anything illegal, but I carry 24/7 anywhere/everywhere I go open carry 95% of the time, and conceal the rest, god forbid if something happened at my granddaughters school, and I may have been able to stop or prevent it, and my gun was in the car, I think I would prefer takeing my chances with the law afterward than be making funeral arrangments, illegal yes, but the right or wrong thing to do I'm not so sure, this is why I preach if your going to carry no matter what carry it very well concealed, and above all else KEEP YOUR PIE HOLE SHUT about it, I meen not your wife, kids, buddys, anybody, because no matter how innocent you think a casual mention to a buddy may be, it can be your undoing,

In the town of Sylva, NC where I live, you can walk around town with a gun on your hip. Except these stupid Florida people get all upset when they see it in this idyllic mountain town so they call the cops and they'll harass you for about 10 mins then send you on your way, so I'd rather carry concealed. Less bothersome.

In the town of Sylva, NC where I live, you can walk around town with a gun on your hip. Except these stupid Florida people get all upset when they see it in this idyllic mountain town so they call the cops and they'll harass you for about 10 mins then send you on your way, so I'd rather carry concealed. Less bothersome.

Sounds like your police department sucks...should try and change that.

Sounds like your police department sucks...should try and change that.

It's not that bad, just they cater to tourist dollars cuz our little town has lost major bucks lately, so whatever makes the tourists happy. I only OC in my neighborhood to protect against dogs.

I know Sylva, there's a shop there that used to do machine work for me, this was a few years ago, before guns got the popularity they do now, only had a couple of guns then, all the money went into the race car, LOL

It's not that bad, just they cater to tourist dollars cuz our little town has lost major bucks lately, so whatever makes the tourists happy. I only OC in my neighborhood to protect against dogs.

The cities I live around get most their money from Hanford and tourists. I don't get harassed, ever. Your cops suck.

Went to a small restaurant and found a sign with the same verbiage as this one, was OC at the time. No one bothered to ask anything.

Most of the itme I won't go unarmed just to satisfy a sign unless it carries the weight of law. I go into several places with signs but they don't know I'm carrying and I don't expect it to come up. I use the drive up window at the CU for my transactions and let my wife go in when necessary. She's the corporate treasurer so I don't deal with the CU up close. The same applies to the less efficient, more costly regional bank we use for my wife's business accounts.

The new additions to NC gun laws have been helpful for CC but OC is allowed and changes aren't really necessary. I work in a big box retail store where a couple of guys come in now and then with one openly carrying and he's not a LEO. No one has ever confronted him and I hope they never do as he's within the law.

My wife works on a state university campus and I pick her up for lunch. The signs restricting guns state that if you are covered under the law you aren't restricted within the law. It is lawful to carry on my person while in my vehicle waiting for her.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back