Snub Nose Revolver???

mwhals

I thought of a snub nose revolver, but am thinking something with a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel would be a much better choice. A thinner body seems more important than a shorter barrel for CCW. I am 6"2", so I would think a slightly longer barrel wouldn't be an issue concealing.

Thoughts on the merits of snub nosed revolvers? Can you change my mind and convince me that a snub nosed revolver is better than a longer barreled semi auto?

While I do not want lots of weight, I do want more than a lightweight gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Look at the Ruger LCR. You are correct , thinness is the most important factor. The exception is if you carry appendix then most definitely a short barrel is more comfortable. If the gun is for CC the reason I like the LCR for a revolver choice is it light , hammer less and well made. A snub nose makes it possible to pocket carry as well as other places easier IMO.

Go Seahawks!

I thought of a snub nose revolver, but am thinking something with a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel would be a much better choice. A thinner body seems more important than a shorter barrel for CCW. I am 6"2", so I would think a slightly longer barrel wouldn't be an issue concealing.

Thoughts on the merits of snub nosed revolvers? Can you change my mind and convince me that a snub nosed revolver is better than a longer barreled semi auto?

While I do not want lots of weight, I do want more than a lightweight gun.

It really depends on how and where you will carry your firearm. Personally, I conceal a full size Glock in .40 and have no problem carrying it daily. I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs.

My best advise is to get the largest caliber firearm that you can easily shoot. Once you have found the firearm that you comfortable using for self-defense, THEN figure out the best method to conceal it. There are numerous ways to carry concealed that are very comfortable regardless the physical size of the firearm.

I would suggest a Glock 23 or 27 Gen 4. Better stopping power, more rounds in the gun and faster reloads if needed. For you, they can be carried concealed just as easily as the snub nose that you're talking about. Also the Gen 4 Glocks have a adjustable backstrape, so if you have a big hand you can make the handlebigger to fit to your liking.

It depends on how you carry the weapon. To my mind the snubby is at it's best as a pocket gun. I own K and L frames with 2.5 inch barrels they have real charm in that they are lightening fast from the leather and they are easier to draw if you have shoulder mobility problems. What the six gun does offer for (me at least) is potent ammo in 357, extreme reliability, a very simple manual of arms and a trigger action that is close to Murphy proof.

Another vote for the Ruger LCR, in .357mag though. Lightweight, highly concealable-IWB, AIWB, OWB, pocket, multiple ammo options (if .357mag too much, can carry variable .38spl rds), manageable, accurate-even at longer distances-installed XS Big Dot too, with 5 Star Speedloaders and practice=as fast as semi-auto, very "revolver" reliable, and actually "fun" to shoot-as demonstrated by NutNFancy on YouTube. If that's too small, can get the same attributes in a Ruger SP101. Just love revolvers is another reason. Good luck in your search. Take care.

I have carried a SW642 in a leather pocket holster in my front, right pocket for 7 years. I can walk into a convenience store or stand by a gas pump with my hand wrapped around the grips and no one knows it. In 2 seconds, I can draw the weapon and fire five rounds into a three inch target position 7 yards away. I can follow those rounds with 2 six-round neoprene speed strips. It is both comfortable and comforting....

I appreciate the suggestions! I will have a look at all of them. I am not interested in pocket carry. I may get a .357 and load it with three .38 and two .357 bullets. If there is more than one person, the second one will wish he was the first. I may get a snub nosed .22 magnum for an ankle backup. Decisions, decisions....

Ruger SP101 model 5771! Yum, I am going to have to handle it this weekend!

I go between a S&W Model 60 with the 3 inch barrel and a 40 caliber Sig 229. I carry the 229 more than the 357 magnum. I do not like the 1 and 7/8 inch barrels on the J Frames. Too hard for me to hit what I'm aiming at. 3 inch barrel works very well for me.

If you get a snub (1 7/8" or 2" bbl) don't waste your money shooting magnums. All you're getting out of it is more recoil and noise... neither one effects ballistics positively but, both can negatively effect your ability to put lead on target. Some of the "short barrel" loads help with this issue, just at a price and only marginally. You run into the same issue with any caliber, be it .380 or .40... but having to throw lead across a cylinder gap, the problem is magnified a bit. I suggest you get to the range and get-a-shootin'!

I carry a snubby but also carry a 4" some of the time, depends on time of year, where I am going and what I will be doing. Regardless I carry a revolver, I guess I am just old school.

Another vote for the LCR 357 here. I love snubby revolvers. You can always carry 38+P in them if you don't want the extra kick and muzzle flash or choose a 357 designed for short barrels if you like. Anyone that says that the 357 in a snubby is a complete waste has not done enough ballistic research. There are rounds out there that outperform any 38+P you can put in it. Granted if you shoot someone at night in a confined space you better make sure you hit the target because you'll be blind and deaf for a while. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Anybody have any videos or reports on the ballistics of .357 in 2" vs 4" or something like that? I don't need anyone to go hunting for them... I'll do that eventually. My few quick searches have only turned up .357 vs .38 and stuff like that. It's mostly just curiosity... couldn't conceal a 4", and in my Rhino recoil isn't exactly a factor anyway. (Okay, so I really want a reason to go buy the 4" or 5" someday to hike with... :wink:)

Anybody have any videos or reports on the ballistics of .357 in 2" vs 4" or something like that? I don't need anyone to go hunting for them... I'll do that eventually. My few quick searches have only turned up .357 vs .38 and stuff like that. It's mostly just curiosity... couldn't conceal a 4", and in my Rhino recoil isn't exactly a factor anyway. (Okay, so I really want a reason to go buy the 4" or 5" someday to hike with... :wink:)

Check out this you tube video. He uses a 2" barrel: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=16m0jVAhBZ8

OP: mwhals -- Watch This Video and Make Up Your Own Mind...

I choose to shoot .38Spl in snubs. I'm not an expert, I have no certifications and there is no reason to believe what I say... For what I desire in a concealed carry piece, knowing what the stats say about what that scenario will look like and using my combat training and experience to feel confident in my choice of caliber/weapon... I know I can empty my cylinder on target faster than your average shooter, I go .38Spl.

To each his own...

I choose to shoot .38Spl in snubs. I'm not an expert, I have no certifications and there is no reason to believe what I say... For what I desire in a concealed carry piece, knowing what the stats say about what that scenario will look like and using my combat training and experience to feel confident in my choice of caliber/weapon... I know I can empty my cylinder on target faster than your average shooter, I go .38Spl.

To each his own...

What brand/type of 38 special ammo do you like for yours?

What brand/type of 38 special ammo do you like for yours?

Generally, I'll carry whatever LSWC I can find... if I'm in a pinch (for whatever reason) I'll carry LFP or LRN. From the data I've found, these loads can provide sufficient or near sufficient penetration (going for the FBI #s) with little chance of over penetration. Expansion is as expected from a solid... minimal. I'm of the mind that shot placement, not bullet design, wins a gunfight... so I don't worry about not having the latest wiz-bang JHPs. Yes, I understand how great modern JHPs can expand.

I have been carrying a .357 from EAA called the "Windicator". Its a German made, all steel, 2" barrel, 6-round powerhouse. It aint lightweight (about 24oz), which helps with the recoil, but it's lighter than my 1911. I carry it in a Don Hume pancake style owb holster with 2 speed loaders for backup. Awesome pistol at under $300.00

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roosince1911
Back