Smart Technology with Polymer or Steel Framed Firearms

What do you think?

• Already in most polymer frames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Where's my car keys I have to get rid of that chip now!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rising2ndSun

Good Day to you all. I was thinking about the smart technology that exists in new car keys. This technology will not allow you to start the vehicle without the key due to some embedded chip the car ignition recognizes.
1-Is it possible to install similar technology in a firearm where it can be recognized/located from a distance for whatever reasons?
2-Would this technology be more likely to be installed in Polymer or Steel/Metal frames or both?
3-Would this technology be installed as embedded stealth technology or would it be necessary for the manufacturer to notify the buyer?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I look forward to reading your comments and my participating in this discussion.

if they could build the transmitter that would be required to do that, fit it in the gun, with battery, antenna, and an electronic switch to unlock the gun. ive seen the technology in the cars, its not huge, but i dont see it fitting in a gun. and if they can do it, dont forget the key at home. im not saying its not possible, but its definitly not probable, and i would think it would be very expensive, so im going with no, being a mechanic that has worked on these systems.

technology will likely prove me wrong in a few years.

right, the magnetic ring. i wouldnt consider that "smart" technology. its not personalized like the newer car remotes/ security keys. someone else could get a megnetic ring and use the gun.

Good Day to you all. I was thinking about the smart technology that exists in new car keys. This technology will not allow you to start the vehicle without the key due to some embedded chip the car ignition recognizes.
1-Is it possible to install similar technology in a firearm where it can be recognized/located from a distance for whatever reasons?
2-Would this technology be more likely to be installed in Polymer or Steel/Metal frames or both?
3-Would this technology be installed as embedded stealth technology or would it be necessary for the manufacturer to notify the buyer?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I look forward to reading your comments and my participating in this discussion.
Just my opinions...
1 - I'm sure it is but may be hard to do without a "tumor" on the gun. The issue would be the need for a power source on either the "key" (ring, key fob, whatever) or the gun. As this will require a battery that will need changing we would have to have access to it.

2 - Slight edge to polymer as it could be molded in. However, it could be put in metal frames as well. That said, it would be easier to find as it likely could not be molded into the frame.

3 - I would not be surprised if it was done as a "stealth technology" but, to be honest, we would know that it is there, where it is located, and how to defeat it within a week of it's arrival (God bless the internet). Plus the presence of a "key" in the box would be a giveaway.

Seems like one more thing that could malfunction at the most inopportune time. I don't want it in something that I may need to use to save my life.

The new auto keys, to my knowledge do not have replaceable batteries but it has some mechanism within that the car recognizes. Therefore, if this same mechanism were embedded into a polymer or metal frame could the firearm be "recognized" and located from a distance by a governmental agency no matter how large or small the equipment?

Yes, Magnatrigger works. It's sold by Tarnhelm Supply, since the inventer passed away. It works on S&W and Ruger revolvers. I believe the ring on your gun hand is a rare earth (cobalt samarium?) magnet. But I'd agree that it's not "smart" technology. It is also something that will still work even after an EMP. No electronics.

Sure they can make "smart guns." A few years ago, there was talk about smart guns for cops, even talk about mandating smart guns. Supposedly, the Officers would wear a transponder in much the same fashion as wearing a wristwatch. The weapon would only function if close to the transponder.

One fellow, perhaps an amateur radio enthusiast, published on the internet a promise: If they came out with "smart" police guns, he'd publish plans for a simple jammer that would shut down all cop guns within two blocks of the jammer.

We haven't heard much about smart guns lately.

I don't want guns dependent on electronics.

I'll even take a Trijicon scope over an electronic red dot scope, in the long run.

A terrible idea. For multiple reasons. Smart implies electronics.

You need to sleep, shower, etc. with some sort of RFID chip or some other sensible (to the gun) device. For a defensive weapon, I don't think that is reasonable.

Batteries. IF the gun is to be un-safed, there must be a battery powered electrical to mechanical conversion device (e., solenoid) inside the gun to unlock some key part n the firing mechanism. The electronics will always be on (albeit that with the right technology that can be an extremely low power use). Using a smart method implies that the gun knows you are the actual owner (vs the simple magnet approach). That will require the electronics in the gun to constantly look for an external identifying chip. This is not an intrinsically low power process. A radio transmitter/receiver pair must sample often enough to catch your presence before you need to pull the trigger. Very frequently. Midnight in the rain, BG runs out of alley wielding a knife; no bang; damn I forgot to change the battery. No thanks.

Adding a fairly complex bunch of pieces to a defensive weapon significantly increases the probability of a FTF. I really don't want to have my life hang on a key fob on steroids. A couple of months ago the smart key system in my car went Postal. Door locks started cycling on an off so fast that you could not actually pull the handle to open the door. I was trapped in the car.

And then there is the cost and opportunity for defacto registration and display of the guns. Much more than just the serial number stamped on the gun. And an invasion of privacy when you carry into some place and those scanners at the door looking for shop lifters determines you are carrying and you get rushed by all the Wallmart greeters. Your movements can be tracked anywhere someone cares to populate with the equipment. For example, the cop on the beat. It essentially completely subverts concealed carry in many places. Hand held devices to go gun hunting. No doubt there will be an app for it.

Short answer - Hell no.

My guns already have smart technology, my brain,every time my brain says pull the trigger the gun goes bang. I have had my smart car key go bad and not allow me in the car, I do not wish that to occur to my guns when I need them.

The electronics in our brain are sufficient, I was a tech for 20 years and saw my share of vehicles TOWED IN for FAILURE TO START, due to the SECURITY KEY.........NO THANK YOU!!!!!

The new auto keys, to my knowledge do not have replaceable batteries but it has some mechanism within that the car recognizes. Therefore, if this same mechanism were embedded into a polymer or metal frame could the firearm be "recognized" and located from a distance by a governmental agency no matter how large or small the equipment?
It still requires 12volts from the battery to operate...If the battery goes dead the system needs to be RE LEARNED...ie no bang bang without outside assistant...

All things are possible. I would become a great shade tree gunsmith! (Taking them out and putting my gun back together.)
Just sayin.

Its a chip in the back part of the key its been out for a while. I agree with above one more thing to go wrong. But for full auto firearms? Makes sense but I believe it would be rather simple to take out of said firearm.

Very possible but I hope it never happens. Our idiot government will chomp at the bit to regulate it and control. (NO THANKS!!! We're over-reg'ed as it is.)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back