Small Impact Tool Options

ChrisFry

Small Impact Tool Options
By Chris Fry

DSC_0958.jpg

For years I have carried one form or another of small impact tool as part of my Every Day Carry Gear. Small impact tools (SIT) offer a force multiplier and option for carry of a tool in non-permissive environments such as municipal facilities, hosptials and airports. Utilization and SIT training integrates well with and shares common movements with many practical empty hand combatives skills and point driven edged weapon applications. Small impact tools also provide another force option that can be utilized depending upon the circumstances of the situation. Remember, pulling a folding knife out of your pocket and striking with the closed folder is a viable application of non-lethal force but in many jurisdictions it will still be construed as you pulling a knife. Some ladies whom I've worked with were not comfortable carrying or the thought of deploying an edged weapon but took to the suggestion of a small handheld impact tool rapidly, without hesitation.

DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

Some Small Impact Tool Considerations:
•Whatever tool you choose to EDC it must be readily available. Like pepper spray or OC, a "keychain" kubotan is of no use buried at the bottom of a purse or backpack.
•Many traditional kubotans, palm sticks and keychain devices are VERY overt in my humble opinion. These types of SIT could possibly draw unwanted attention from friends and co-workers or provide information about your possible level of preparedness to potential assailants.
•Some commonplace SIT's seen today include the newest trend and flood of "Tactical Pens" and tactical flashlights into the market. Both offer excellent dual purpose applications.
•While pens and flashlights are applicable consider that TSA and commercial security companies are more aware than ever of these items and their potential uses; be aware of this and plan accordingly. A standard sharpie marker, firm metal pen, wooden stylus or letter opener stowed in your carry-on serves the purpose without giving away your situational preparedness or holding you up. Although I like collecting gear and tactical items I do my best to not carry them openly when traveling and attempt to blend in as best I can. The highly visible pocket clips found on folding knives, tactical flashlights and tactical pens can be a target indicator to some.
•If traveling or working in a non-permissive environment, consider carrying a SIT in the same location or general area as your primary EDC personal protection tools (firearm, folding knife or fixed blade knife). This will facilitate easier access and deployment of the SIT without having to add another motor skills to be trained such as accessing from an off body location or breast pocket etc.. Carrying the SIT in the same pocket as your folding knife for example provides commonality of movement when accessing and drawing either tool.

Conclusion:
A tool is better than no tool when it comes to personal protection. Criminals do not hesitate to use any items they can to commit their intended crimes. Research and consider integrating a small impact tool into your own or a loved ones personal defense profile. Remember that any tool requires the proper software and an understanding of justifiable use and proper, effective application, so get some training.

I like the S&W pen in the picture. My local dealer has them in stock and I have looked at them with curiosity. I usually have a small folding knife (Benchmade that opens very easily with one hand) and my Leatherman Wave.

Perhaps I'll reconsider my dismissal of the pen as hasty and give it further consideration.

Good post. Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the S&W pen in the picture. My local dealer has them in stock and I have looked at them with curiosity. I usually have a small folding knife (Benchmade that opens very easily with one hand) and my Leatherman Wave.

Perhaps I'll reconsider my dismissal of the pen as hasty and give it further consideration.

Good post. Thanks..

That also is my load out. Someone stole my leatherman wave that I had for years so I replaced it with the new black wave. It stays in my Maxpedition jumbo EDC bag.

Good post. Thanks..

6Shooter, I carry that same SWPen at work every day. For the price, it is a good tool.

Chris

6Shooter, I carry that same SWPen at work every day. For the price, it is a good tool.

Chris

Is it ball point or roller ball? Can it be loaded with either type of refill?

I use roller ball pens most of the time. Not that it really matters, but if I'm gonna carry it I'd like it to function for me.

Thank you.

That also is my load out. Someone stole my leatherman wave that I had for years so I replaced it with the new black wave. It stays in my Maxpedition jumbo EDC bag.

The Leatherman is my go to tool. I use it every day at least 1 if not 2 times.

Post 9/11/01 I was traveling for work and was in the security line at the airport. I realized it was still on my hip, whoops! I put it on every day. I had to get out of line and find a box to pack it in and have it checked like luggage...

Anyway... I'll have to take a look at the pens.

The Leatherman is my go to tool. I use it every day at least 1 if not 2 times.

Post 9/11/01 I was traveling for work and was in the security line at the airport. I realized it was still on my hip, whoops! I put it on every day. I had to get out of line and find a box to pack it in and have it checked like luggage...

Anyway... I'll have to take a look at the pens.

Oh man I know just how you feel! I can not tell you how many times my waved got used a day or how many times it saved me. I found a pink tactical pen for my wife and she loves it. I cant wait till it gets here so she can use it. The S&W pen has outstanding reviews but the same can not be said about the M&P tactical pen.

I also have the S&W pen in blue, always clipped in my pocket. As far as refills , it will take any Parker refill and mine has the roller ball in it now. Also carry a Boker Top Lock automatic, since that is covered under concealed carry in Florida.

What about all of the other nifty impact weapons, like highlighters, MAXIM Magazine (Or any magazine), Kleenex boxes (Not that you are going to carry one), and the list goes on. Pont being there are a million things that are just laying around that nobody would ever think was a weapon till you use it as one. Improvised weapons are the best weapons, because they are the ones nobody ever expects.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back