Small gun

agough23

What's a good gun small enough to carry in my purse?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

The only real good thing about a purse is the ability to carry a larger gun. Take advantage and carry something big!

I think a 38 revolver like a lady smith or a ruger sp101 would be good,if you would rather carry an auto pistol try a karr 9mm or a kimber solo9mm.

At the risk of incurring the ire of the macho caliber adherents, I would suggest a Beretta 21-a in 22 caliber loaded with CCI Stingers, Velocitors, or 40gr round nose Mini-Mags. It's an ultra reliable firearm, easy to load with the tip up barrel, mild enough to shoot often and accurately (its shot placement and practice), packs 8 rounds, is small, and has a great grip. The reliability of the CCI 22lr ammo mentioned negates concerns about whether it will go "bang" when you pull the trigger. At true self-defense distances, well placed center-mass and/or head shots will resolve adverse social situations.

If you prefer a revolver, buy a stainless steel S&W Model 640 hammerless with the full Hogue grip, or Ruger SP 101, either in 357 caliber. The S&W would be preferable because there is no hammer to snag when removing it from a purse, and it can be fired from inside a purse or coat pocket. The S&W may be a little pricey, but it’s cheaper than buying multiple guns to replace the ones you didn’t like. You sound like a newer shooter, so stay away from ultra-lite revolvers. They are hard to shoot accurately, have a hard, pounding recoil, and you will not like to practice adequately with them.

Load it with 38 special Hornady Critical Defense 110 gr, or Federal HydraShok 110 gr ammo for controllability and performance. Do NOT carry 357 magnums in it. In a short barrel they add very little performance increase, are painful to shoot, hard to control, and in a car, or building - even outdoors without proper protection could damage your hearing. When you get comfortable with the gun, then consider a 38 Special plus P Critical Defense load or the Gold Dot 38 Special plus P for short barrel 135 gr load.

For the record, purse carry is NOT recommended. The purse may be snatched and the gun stolen, or if you are grabbed from behind it will be almost impossible to retrieve your firearm.

Look at the traditional small guns that don't skimp on the handle. Walther PPK or PPK/S, and those like the Sig Saur P238.

I only use my purse for a solution to "wardrobe issues" when I carry. I have on occasion had to use purse carry as my choice because of the type of outfit I needed to wear. When I carry in my purse, I have to think about where and how long I will be hauling everything around. It is really easy to get a very heavy purse by the time you add the firearm, spare ammo, knife, pepper spray, tactical light, ... I usually carry as much as I can haul so often, I carry a CZ 2075 RAMI at the largest (tough to argue with 14 round mags) or a Sig P938 being the smallest. I generally leave the revolvers at home because the 5-6 round capacity and mess with reloading (even with speedloaders, I am slower than with a semi-auto).

One last thought on the purse carry, be sure that whatever you choose to carry can be drawn from the purse after you have everything in it! It is amazing how hard it is to draw from a purse carrying the "normal" stuff. I took the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course with a number of gentlemen. After they "drew" a firearm from an empty purse, the ladies in the class shamed them into trying with a "real" purse situation. Every one of them had a lot of trouble doing it for a variety of reasons: surprised at the weight of a lady's purse and all the stuff we usually carry.

After my daughter took the CC class and pass the shooting range test.I bought her the pistol of her choice. Which is the same as my profile name a Taurus Polymer Revolver 38 Cal. she love's it because it light weight . I added the " Judge " to the name .lol

The best gun is the largest caliber you can consistently and reliably control. I've shot thousands of guns, and I hate the little ones and the light weight one. They are not nice to shoot at all, very difficult to be accurate with, and I can guarantee you that most people will not practice regularly with a gun they hate to shoot.

If you are serious about carrying a gun for self defense, change your wardrobe and accessories to compensate, and get the best gun for self defense, not just convenience. When I absolutely must conceal, I use a "fanny pack" with an internal holster. Carry in a purse is simply asking to find yourself without it when you most need it, or at the least risking having it stolen. I don't know anyone who doesn't set their purse down at least some times. I have not carried any kind of purse for more than 30 years, simply because of that. I figure that's why God invented pockets. :) But then, I'm an old lady and don't need much "girl stuff." :)

The Man I Might Have Killed | The Price of Liberty

Just make sure you pay attention to what purse you carry and how you carry it first. Purse snatching would not be funny in any case.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back