Small Caliber Hi-Cap VS Heavy Caliber Low-Cap

hi cap 9mm would be my choice of carry , if im around big game i carry a rifle with a 9mm backup.

Since your preference is the larger caliber, that is what I would carry. You can always reload (assuming you carry the extra ammo) but you CANNOT increase your impact size during the fight.

That said, it comes back to balance. I generally only carry a .380 because of concealment issues however, my largest caliber that I own is only a 9. If I truly felt more comfortable with a larger caliber then I would get one, to me it mentally does not make a difference. But you must carry what YOU believe is YOUR best round... so for you it sounds like the .44

I think shot placement matters more than the calibur you are carring. I mostly carry a .380, but I also carry .9mm and .45. I think that you should carry what you feel most comfortable with.

I think shot placement matters more than the calibur you are carring. I mostly carry a .380, but I also carry .9mm and .45. I think that you should carry what you feel most comfortable with.

In a fire fight, you won't have much time to aim. With that in mind, you need to adequately train with whatever SD firearm you're carrying. A .44 won't do squat for you in a fire fight if you're missing your target. :nono: OTOH, if you have a .22 mag (which BTW I would NEVER recommend for SD unless absolutely necessary) and you're hitting the BG, you'll do a lot more than simply throwing lead. When shooting the smaller calibers, you need to train appropriately keeping in mind that a "center mass" shot won't always be the best choice in "shot placement".

Pick your SD firearm and train properly. Use good quality ammo for both practice as well as for carry. Be sure to shoot a box or two of your SD ammo to ensure that it functions properly in your gun.

gf

I use a Star Firestar in .40 or Detonics Combatmaster in .45 when I carry. Either of these has pretty good knockdown power, but both are low-capacity types. Although I DO carry a spare mag when carrying.

I look at it this way. I don't have a lot of rounds, so I better be able to hit what (or who) I am aiming at.

If I have to hit what I am aiming at, I don't need a buttload of ammo just to hit my target. (By the way, that last was NOT a slur at anybody - excepting maybe myself!) Just my own personal incentive to make sure I am the best shot I can be (and it's a good excuse to go to the range and shoot more ammo! lol).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back