Slide release on a Kimber

johnsonabq

Still thinking of a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II but I looked at one today and had a hell of a time with the slide release. Couldn't do it with my thumb. Will this work out with use?

Kimber Ultra Carry II

Yes it will get a little easier but most instructors want you to rack back the slide to release it anyway and not use the catch to do so...

yes it will get much easier but it's also a lot easier to do with rounds in the magazine... such as when the last round is fired and a new, loaded mag is inserted, the catch is a lot smoother...try it once without a magazine inserted and i guarantee it will be easier to rack...

Kimbers are nice. But when i got my ultra carry last year i had an enormous problem with it failing to return to battery. when i called and spoke with one of their armorers i was told to put an imense amount of lube on it and to that i needed to shoot it approx 750 to 1000 times to break it in. And then if it continued to have failure's i could send it back for them to look at it. No other brand of firearm do i know of that you have to put $350 worth of ammo through it before you can bet your life on it. needless to say yes i put a case of ammo through it and it worked itself out but no longer felt comfortable carrying. those failures were in the back of my mind so i sold it .i basically broke it in for someone else! dont get me wrong im not trying to down kimbers they are sweet, but if i called glock, springfield, ruger, smith and wesson or Sig sauer with that problem they would have wanted it back to prevent their customers from being disgusted with their product

I have the Kimber CDP II and it is a sweet gun. I for one did not have to put a 1000 round through mine to get it to work worked fine right out of the box. I for one have not had any problem with my Kimber or the company. But the thing to remember is no mater what gun it is and no matter how good it may be if you do not feel comfortable with it, it is no go to you.

I've owned both the Ultra Carry II and as of two days ago the CDP II. The Ultra carry only had 50 rounds through it when I bought it and the slide catch wasn't overly stiff. The CDP I have now has had about 500 rounds through it and the slide catch feels fine on that one.

Kimbers have very tight tolerances and do take acouple hundred rounds more then your glocks and XDs to break them in. I'd put 400 - 500 rounds through it and see if that resolves your issue. If not I'd call Kimber the slide release may just need a little more fitting done. I talked to them once and had a really good experience.

1911 can be a little fenicy to get up and running but once they are running they won’t stop. Hope this helped.

I have the Kimber Ultra carry IILG and Like any good firearm it has a break in period. Shoot some cheap UMC through it or go on line and get your ammo in bulk. You can break it in on a week end and have lots of fun doing it. Plus when you are done with the break in you should be fairly proficient with you new firearm.
Never complain about having to shoot up a bunch of ammo. I have to make excuses to do it and I have my own range.

The slide stop / takedown lever will experience some wear if used constantly as the 'slide release'. Personally, I think the slingshot method is the way to go - whether both hands or one hand is available. Here is an interesting assessment of all of the methods at Link Removed .

I'm curious if the manufacturer's even call the catch/stop a "release," or if that shortcut is just so common it's taken on that name and usage. (I don't own a Kimber, so I don't know if they even call it a "release.")

I agree with the "sling shot" method for a host of reasons, the primary being the loss of fine motor skills under stress, and the continuity in training through actual encounters. (Not to mention that fraction of an inch more spring to do the job of locking and chambering that first round off a fresh reload.)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back