Slide moving forward on round in chamber question...

tuts40

I've been reading some about bullet set back when a round might get chambered a time or two, as if you emptied the gun to clean and rechambered the round. I see that it's mostly a problem with high pressure rounds like the .40, especially in less-supported chambers such as a glock.

I have a question: Is it a bad idea to place a round in the chamber then let slide go forward. (then of course, place mag in gun) In other words, particularly in a glock, any concern about the pin igniting the primer with such an action as that? I wouldn't think it'd be a problem, but I'm not in the "know", ya know?

There should be no problem with chambering a round then placing the magazine in the well unless you negligently pull the trigger during this action.

On a Glock doing this is bad for the extractor. You can break off the corner that will hang up on the round. Not a good thing

I was kinda think'n it'd be alright insofar as the primer ignition goes, however I did not realize the potential problem with the extractor.

Thank you!

I'm wondering why you would want to do this.
Why not put the mag in then chamber a round?

I'm a big believer in dry practice. If I dry practice 3x/wk, that's three unloadings/reloadings and rechamberings. I do verify the practice on occasion at the outdoor range with the ammo but it may be months between. Also, carrying everyday the gun is subjected to humidity & sweat, dust, and whatever else so every few weeks I like to field strip, remove old lube and relube. This involves unloading, then reloading AND rechambering just like after dry practice sessions. Even if I rotate the first round so they take turns being chambered, it will be rammed into the chamber again when it is it's turn in the mag. So, i was wondering about the round being chambered twice, or more, over time before firing it at the range. I could have solved that problem by placing the round in the chamber THEN bringing slide forward thereby reducing the number of times the round would have been forcebly chambered by the slide, reducing the set back possibility. But the pesky extractor foiled that plan!

http://www.vintagepistols.com/setback.html Just one place I read about set back at.

I mean, sure, rack the slide with a loaded mag inserted, just like anyone does. However, multiple chamberings of a round and resulting possible set back is the crux of the question.

Just measure your LOA and it should not be a problem!

-Doc

Sounds good, I do have a micrometer. How would I measure a round after it's been chambered? Keeping in mind it may be the second, the third time chambered over time possibly increasing the possibility of being set back on it's way into the chamber. (explaination in above post)

Maybe I should file 13 a previously chambered round if I'm paranoid about it.

Use several brand new rounds of the same type or lot. measure them and get an average. Then you will know when setback has occurred.

-Doc

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back