Silly State Governments!

B2Tall

Stirrer of the Pot
January 1st is just around the corner and this is the time when states like to enact new laws. 2 stand out as being utterly ridiculous.

1. California (oh the surprise!!) is going to require classes be taught in their schools that teach students the important contributions made by gays and lesbians. Yup....that's right. Now I have no problem with gays or lesbians although I find it a bit repulsive (I also find eating liver to be repulsive but I'm not going to discriminate against anyone who does). It's a personal choice. Anyway, if CA is going to require this, then they should simply require that teachers point out the apparent sexuality of everyone that they teach about ("That's right, kids....Einstein came up with the equation E=MC2, and he was straight".). Where does it end?? Teach classes that emphasize the contributions of overweight people?? People who wear glasses?? People with the middle initial "R"??

I'm actually embarrassed to say I was born in CA.

2. Utah is outlawing any sort of daily or hourly price reduction on alcohol. Tranlation: No more happy hour at your local watering hole, no more ladies night, no more "$1 Mondays", etc., etc. Now, the state government of Utah is dominated by Mormons (no surprise since they're the majority), and Mormons don't drink. My question is - why are people who don't consume alcohol so eager to impose petty restrictions on those who do participate in this perfectly legal activity?? I know the answer....it's because Utah, along with a few bible-belt states, just can't resist ramming their religious dogma down the throats of others. Even here in Florida I can't buy alcohol in any form before noon on....(drum roll please)....Sunday! Hmmmmm....why only Sunday??? Could it be a religious thing??

Utah should just become a dry state if it's that important to them. At least I could understand that. It's all this nit-picking that makes no sense.

I've said before, I don't like theocracies of any sort. Please feel free to add any other "wacky" laws that'll go into effect in your state on Jan. 1st.

The reason people who don't drink try to ram their ideas down your throat is the same reason the anti gunners do it. It's called CONTROL and they want to do it. They believe that their way is the way everyone should live and if they have the resources to do it they will.

Yeah...it's better if the drunks and winos ram their way down your throat. That is when they aren't ramming their car into a family of five, killing everyone but the drunk.

If you can see past you're drunken stupor for a minute. Why do you have happy hour? To bring people in to have a quick drink then send then home? No it's to get the alcohol flowing like a river. But hey getting drunk never caused any harm did it. I didn't even know they passed this law here, but if you don't like it don't visit.

Yeah...it's better if the drunks and winos ram their way down your throat. That is when they aren't ramming their car into a family of five, killing everyone but the drunk.

That's why I said that if Utah (or other states) are so worried about that, then they should just become dry. Outlawing happy hour isn't going to stop somebody from getting drunk. Making a bartender pour a drink from a mini-bottle instead of a regular bottle isn't going to make someone drink any less. What's the point of Florida preventing anyone from legally buying alcohol before noon on Sunday?? Is the state trying to save somebody's soul by not letting them buy alcohol during church hours?? I would love for somebody to explain the rationale behind that one!

99.999% of people who drink don't go out and kill or injure people with their cars. We have BAC limits and other laws in place to deal with people like that. But these silly ordinances affect 100% of the people involved in the bar business or those who like go to a bar and have a drink. It's the pointlessness of it all.

Sorry man gonna use basic logic here. Happy hour is all about cheap alcohol. Same way I walked into the store and found ammo on sale. I bought more than I would have otherwise.

Sorry man gonna use basic logic here. Happy hour is all about cheap alcohol. Same way I walked into the store and found ammo on sale. I bought more than I would have otherwise.

I understand your logic and I agree with it.....for buying ammo. Buying a couple of extra boxes of ammo isn't going to get you arrested or cause you to kill someone, and you know that. If you were out having a drink and discovered that the prices were lower than you expected, are you going to throw caution to the wind and get plastered and get behind the wheel of a car?? No, you're probably not. As someone who's spent many years working in the bar business, I know that drink prices have very little bearing on the amount people drink (the exception being if the prices are unbelieveably high like at some ultra-upscale nightclub). Sure, everyone would rather pay less for a drink, but I've found that most people stop drinking based on the number of drinks they've already had...not because of the amount of money they've spent. People don't sit at a bar and say "Man....I'd really like to get blitzed but these $3 beers are killing me! Now if they were only a dollar....". Drink prices aren't what keep 99.99% of the people from driving drunk, and a drunk is not going to be scared off by an extra dollar or two per drink.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back