Silencer Co on Mythbusters

It's on YouTube. Mythbusters posts them almost immediately after the show ends. Anyway, while a 50 to 60 dB reduction is huge, it noway gets close to "silence"er, especially in larger calibers. I am thinking about getting one for my Ruger MkIII .22, but the cost of the BATF - $200; waiting time - now in excess of 6 months; and cost of the Sparrow - $500; and the cost of the threaded barrel - $150+ means NOTHING but hassel. Also, the cost of the suppressor "stuff" means I have almost $1K more invested in a $450 gun. HELLO! I get it with the mods, but I'm no fool. If anyone thinks they can get a suppressor and happily plink / target in the City limits of Dallas...wrong. Another "small" issue is that Texas Law states that the possession of a suppressor is illegal even if BATF approves your application. I belong to Texas Law Shield and sent an email to one of the legal gurus. Still waiting for a reply.

I have the Silencerco Sparrow and its awesome. I run sub-sonic through it and it's no louder than a pellet gun. I can mate it up with my S&W 15-22, Sig Mosquito, Ruger 22-45, GSG1911, two Walther P22's and a Ruger 10-22 with a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel. So, for one $700 investment, I can mod 7 of my guns. The thing that's great about the Silencerco Sparrow is that you can tear it down and clean it. .22 rounds are filthy and you can lead up the internals of a suppressor pretty quick. If you get too much lead build up, then the suppressor will not function as designed. Silencerco took that into considerations and all the internal parts are replaceable and you do not need to re-register or transfer the suppressor for the work. The outer shield of the Silencerco Sparrow is the actual registered part, so you can replace the internals without any problems.

It's on YouTube. Mythbusters posts them almost immediately after the show ends. Anyway, while a 50 to 60 dB reduction is huge, it noway gets close to "silence"er, especially in larger calibers. I am thinking about getting one for my Ruger MkIII .22, but the cost of the BATF - $200; waiting time - now in excess of 6 months; and cost of the Sparrow - $500; and the cost of the threaded barrel - $150+ means NOTHING but hassel. Also, the cost of the suppressor "stuff" means I have almost $1K more invested in a $450 gun. HELLO! I get it with the mods, but I'm no fool. If anyone thinks they can get a suppressor and happily plink / target in the City limits of Dallas...wrong. Another "small" issue is that Texas Law states that the possession of a suppressor is illegal even if BATF approves your application. I belong to Texas Law Shield and sent an email to one of the legal gurus. Still waiting for a reply.

At a gun show, a couple of years back, I saw a company that made "noise reduction" barrel assemblies for a Ruger MkIII .22 pistol. I didn't pay much attention to it since I don't have a Ruger. I have no idea if they are still in business or not, but wouldn't a reducing barrel be better than a screw on can if the reduction is the same or close?

Ok lets start with the fact that the suppressor can be used on any firearm you have in that caliber as long as it is threaded unless they are integral. Next sound reduction depends on the suppressor AND on barrel length and ammo used. I can shoot subsonic 9mm through my mp5 with a suppressor and you hear almost nothing Ie hollywood quiet., As far as 22s go the same applies I can shoot standard ammo that has a sonic crack even with a suppressor however when you use say Remington subsonic ( I buy this by the case ) you have ZERO sonic crack and with my 10/22 the only noise you hear is the bolt going click click. You simply purchase a tax stamp and yes those with criminal records do not get approved depending on the crime. Next wait times are starting to drop due to the extra contractors hired to process the paperwork. Last I am unsure where you go this illegal in Texas thing from but I know many folks in Texas with suppressors. As a matter a fact Texas now allows the use of suppressors for hunting with a permission slip. A threaded barrel may cost you 150 BUT you can have one threaded for less.

I live in Texas and I have a suppressor. It was built right here in good ole' Texas, 100% legal. I bought it for my SIG 522 and just yesterday purchased a used SIG Mosquito Tachtical as it has a threaded barrel and with an adpater I can use my can on it. As stated above, when shooting with subsonic ammo all you here is the action.

I have an Osprey for the HK USP and it makes the .45 ACP so quiet you only hear the action opening and closeing when fired at the range....

I love my Silencer Co Sparrow on my Ruger10/22. I'm looking for replacement barrels for my other .22 so I can use it on that one too.

The noise from the action and the noise from the bullet impact are audible while the shot itself being fired is whisper quiet.

I use 710 fps and 1050 fps with excellent results. Sonic bullets still crack but are much quieter than unsuppressed.

Silencer Co better known as SWR makes the best suppressor on the market. I own there .223 can and yes Surefire is as good maybe slightly better but it is also $1500 which is twice the amount. Since I own both I feel qualified to make this comparison. I also own 2 of their sparrows, 2 Octane 9's and Osprey for my 45 Kriss. Great company with an excellent customer service record. Once you shot with silencers it's hard to shoot without them. I can not even find my hearing protection anymore. I also own a few Gemtechs and due to their customer service I would never purchase from them again. If you going to purchase do not try to save a few hundred dollars because it will bite you in the butt in the long run. Ex. Gemtechs .223 silencer can only be fired 30 to 50 times max before it needs to cool off and can not be fired in auto mode. SWR needs no cooling and fires in semi or full auto. SWR for the win.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back