SIG P-220 Compact & Hornady TAP!

Sgt. SIG

Like most of us, I have several brands of ammo around that I have either tried or am planning to.

I picked up a SIG P-220 Compact last week and thought I would load up some Hornady TAP ammo and give it a try... IT WOULDN'T FIT IN THE MAGAZINE! :eek:

Oh the first round did but at an angle. The problem seems to be it's too long for the magazine! It does however fit in a standard P-220 magazine.

This is a first for me!

I've never tried any of their ammo but planned on getting some on my next ammo order.

It seems to me, if it is longer than standard ammo, it would end up causing other problems. I have never tried the Hornady. I usaully load my own if I am going for anything other than cheap stuff. However, I guess it would have surfaced by now if it was truly a problem.

My P220 mags are a snug fit with most factory ammo. I have to be real careful with OAL when rolling my own. Sorry to hear about that.

Never heard this before, but will keep it in mind. I have a couple of friends that carry one.

is this a ammo problem or mag . Are the mags for the 220 fs and compact interchageable like Glock?

I use Hornady TAP 230 grain +P in my Ruger P-345. Never herd of this before, must be a mag problem. Need to try to put these rounds in another 45 mag and that should tell if this is a bad box of ammo or the mag.

I've Used alot of Hornady Tap 200gr. 45 ACP

I've use it in just about all of my 1911's and Glock 30. The 200 grainers shoot like a target gun in my Springfield Micro Operator. Sig mags can be pretty tight lengthwise if I'm not mistaken. I don't own a P220 compact, but I do own a couple of P220's and a P245, and the TAP's work in both. Just tried 'em. :cool:

but I do own a couple of P220's and a P245, and the TAP's work in both. Just tried 'em. :cool:

Same here, I own both and have not had any problems. Let us know what you find out. This might be information that all Sig .45 owners might benefit from. I'm glad that you posted your problem. :D

Yeah, TAP works with everything except the P-220 Compact magazine. My Cor-Bon, GoldDot, SXT and Hydro Shock ammo all fit the magazine fine.

I think Hornady just went a little high with the bullet when seating it. :eek:

Is this a NIB SIG?
SIG brand mag or aftermarket?
I have had this problem with a couple of aftermarket mags not for SIGs but for other brands of pistols.
raybsc

Brand new SIG P-220 Compact (and magazines) and new Hornady ammo. (4 boxes) :confused:

It works great in all my other P-220's so must just be the Compact's magazine is made a little closer to minimum tolerances?

Last edited:
and for sure the standerd mags don't work with comp? I like glock for this reason back up to 22 is 27 and mags work 22-27

There's a thread on THR (found it with a google search for "saami specs for .45 auto") that a guy started about some 230 gr. XTP's he bought being way over 1.275" . He swears his mic is dead-on, and they measure 1.34" - 1.36" .

I'd bet the compact mags are a tad smaller, like you said, and evidently, Hornady loads 'em long, too. Sorry they won't work.

Last edited:
Like most of us, I have several brands of ammo around that I have either tried or am planning to.

I picked up a SIG P-220 Compact last week and thought I would load up some Hornady TAP ammo and give it a try... IT WOULDN'T FIT IN THE MAGAZINE! :eek:

Oh the first round did but at an angle. The problem seems to be it's too long for the magazine! It does however fit in a standard P-220 magazine.

This is a first for me!

Sounds like what happened to me with a Kimber mag. Took the floorplate off and found out it was a .40 cal. This was from the factory.

Comparing these rounds to other brands it looks like they are a little longer. I think I need a micrometer! ;)

No problem with the magazines not being right, I've bought a few more and they're all the same.

I fired two boxes of the TAP in my other three P-220's and one Springfield and they fed fine. :cool:

Sarg get a gluck it will eat anything. It really surprise me that the compact won't take 220 fullsize mags.

Sarg get a gluck it will eat anything. It really surprise me that the compact won't take 220 fullsize mags.

My Sig 245 takes Sig 220 mags with no problem! Doesn't the 245 classify as a Compact? I was looking into getting the 220 Compact because according to the Sig brochure the same magazine can be used in both. I figured that I can use my 245 accessories for either pistol. I called Sig to order wood grips for my 245 and was told that the frames differed between the two pistols in certain locations. Yes they can us the same magazines but no they can not use the same grips!!!:confused: I ended up getting the Sig 220 Carry-R SAO. Great pistol!! :D

Mystery solved.

Looking at my P-220 Compact magazines, (same magazine as a P-245), I noticed that the very front of these magazines at the top is where the Hornady TAP bullet hangs up. The bullet has a large hollow point and sits ever so slightly taller than other ammo I compared it to. The reason it fed in my other P-220 magazines I think is due to the magazines being used and the top rounded portion of the magazine tube isn't as tight as the new P-220 Compact magazines. The standard P-220 magazines do indeed fit the compact as mentioned by slowfire. The P-220 Compact looks like a P-245 frame with a P-220 Carry SAS slide.

Still, until Hornady seats these rounds deeper, I wouldn't recommend them for personal defense in a P-220 as the bullet could hang at a critical moment in the magazine.

I plan on contacting Hornady and explaining this to them and see if it has already been addressed or not.

I'll report back with what they say! ;)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back