Showing State Location Under Username

Should We List User's States

• No, keep it as it is, optional and on the profile page.

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Yes, but keep it an optional choice.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • Yes, but make choosing a state required

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
This came up in the Site Feedback forum and I wanted to take a site poll on it. What do you think about adding a feature that shows the state the person is located under the area that shows their username and title? This way you have a quick glance to see where they are from and what state they are referring to. Should we require you list which state you are in? Let me get your feedback.

I voted "yes, but keep it optional". I can't see where it's any big deal to list your state but I'm sure someone on here might see it as an invasion of privacy so thats why I think it should be optional. ;)

optional

I voted "yes, but keep it optional". I can't see where it's any big deal to list your state but I'm sure someone on here might see it as an invasion of privacy so thats why I think it should be optional. ;)

+ 1. I agree.

I like the idea. If everyone had their state listed then you could search for post from people in your state. Packing.org had a feature like that and I use to use it quite a bit. I voted for it to be mandatory.

I voted yes, but optional. I like to know where someone is from when they are answering questions about CCW laws. I've seen lots of examples where someone tries to apply their state laws to someone else's -- result is unintentional bad info.

Voted no keep it optional. While I don't mind anyone knowing what state I'm in, there are those who wish as little private information as possible being placed on the internet. With identity theft as rampant as it is I can understand their desires.

I voted yes, If you say in my state you can or cannot do something pertaining to gun carry and don't name the state it really won't help the readers. Looking up to see what state their from would really help.

I voted yes for the optional choice. I do not see a need to require people to provide personal information. While I have no issue in disclosing the state I live in, I do live in a small town, and I do not want the location published. There is a good chance people would be able to figure out who I am and I do not want someone to walk up to my employer and say "do you know he carries a gun?" Obviously, the state alone provides very little personal info, I just don't think it should be required.

Thanks for asking our opinion Luke. Obviously you are about making this site what we want. That is why it's the best site of this kind on the net. Thanks again for creating it.

I also voted optional

but does it make sense having the state displayed as a default and the member will have to go into his account settings to change it?

Cheers
Joe from NY

I'm not really sure where my mind was at but we already have this! On the top right hand side of each post it shows Join Date and then under that Location. This shows whatever the user puts in the Location field in their profile. And it is optional.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back