Shouldn't Bank Tellers Be Armed?

gdcleanfun

Banned
Link Removed

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

'The Chatty Bandit,' believed responsible for nine bank holdups in Southern California.

A San Diego-area Wells Fargo bank was robbed twice on the same day — by two different robbers, according to the FBI.

The thieves, nicknamed "The Hard Hat Bandit" and "The Chatty Bandit" by federal agents, held up the La Mesa, Calif., branch about three hours apart, said FBI spokeswoman April Langwell.

"The Chatty Bandit," wanted in at least nine bank robberies since March, strolled into the bank about 3 p.m. Monday, brandishing a handgun and demanding cash.

Three hours later, the Wells Fargo was hit again when "The Hard Hat Bandit" — who has struck three times in the past week alone — walked in with a note ordering employees to give him money.

Neither thief has been arrested.

"Chatty" is a black male between the ages of 20 and 30 who is 6 feet, 1 inch tall and weighs roughly 170 pounds, Langwell told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

"Hard Hat," who wore his characteristic construction head gear, is said to be a white male in his mid-20s who is about 6 feet, 2 inches tall and of thin, lanky build, the paper said.

Those with any information are asked to call the FBI in San Diego.

Click here for surveillance photos and more from the Union-Tribune.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The bank is in PRCA, so it's unlikely that they will allow the tellers to be armed. Bank tellers are working with money, which can be replaced, hence why they have insurance. If they are allowed to be armed, they should use the firearms only to protect life, not defend property.

In other states where CC is legal, I feel that citizens who have proper training should be able to CC on the job. Few exceptions would be if they work in areas that are "secure" or "sterile", and other citizens aren't able to carry (like the parts of airports and court houses). I do strongly feel that if ANYONE wants to carry, they should have proper training to safely handle the firearm, and so they will be aware of the law and when it's legal to use deadly force.

gf

The bank is in PRCA, so it's unlikely that they will allow the tellers to be armed. Bank tellers are working with money, which can be replaced, hence why they have insurance. If they are allowed to be armed, they should use the firearms only to protect life, not defend property.

In other states where CC is legal, I feel that citizens who have proper training should be able to CC on the job. Few exceptions would be if they work in areas that are "secure" or "sterile", and other citizens aren't able to carry (like the parts of airports and court houses). I do strongly feel that if ANYONE wants to carry, they should have proper training to safely handle the firearm, and so they will be aware of the law and when it's legal to use deadly force.

gf

So true. That's the way I feel about my wallet, my watch, etc., they are only things and they can be replaced. but don't let anyone touch me or mine in or out of my house or vehicle or your or yours, etc. They WILL be sorry!

In addition to arming the tellers, more banks should do what the banks around here do, and that's install bulletproof glass.

I'm really surprised that all banks don't have bullet-proof glass, floor-to-ceiling if need be. I guess that would make too much sense. Another thought, does that type of glass protect against only low-velocity bullets or also against high-powered rifles or other types of explosives? (Patricia Hearst and the SLA, as well as the North Hollywood shootout, come to mind.)

I'm really surprised that all banks don't have bullet-proof glass, floor-to-ceiling if need be. I guess that would make too much sense. Another thought, does that type of glass protect against only low-velocity bullets or also against high-powered rifles or other types of explosives? (Patricia Hearst and the SLA, as well as the North Hollywood shootout, come to mind.)

I know the glass at the range I shot at is rated for everything up to and including 50 BMG. That stuff is about 2" thick. I doubt it would hold up to to many steel core rounds. I'm sure it comes in different ratings. I'm going to say the biggest reason the banks don't install it has to do with the price. The range officer mentioned one time just the small section between the shooting lanes cost 10 or 15 grand.

Here in PRHI several banks have video screens, where on teller can help 3 or 4 customers at a time. It's kind of wierd using the telephone (like the one they have in the movies for prison visitations), talkng ro a face on the television. Part of the reason behind the system was cost (only need to hire 1 teller instead of 3 or 4), and safety (hard to rob a televison). In any case, I'm sure it's a lot less expensive than ballistic glass.

gf

Last edited:
Robbery is a threat to lives or nothing should be turned over

Bank tellers are working with money, which can be replaced, hence why they have insurance. If they are allowed to be armed, they should use the firearms only to protect life, not defend property.

I tend to disagree. If a robber threatens life to get property I see no reason that he should not be shot. If he doesn't threaten life to get property, there is no reason to give him any property (or money). It is this, you can't shoot someone just because he is stealing your car or whatever attitude, that encourages robbery.

Now given the majority of bank tellers I have run into, I would probably not want them to be armed.

The system used in Europe would stop bank robberies. The door is a double door with a chamber in the middle. They are bullet-proof (plastic if I remember correctly). You have to be buzzed into the bank and buzzed out of the chamber between the doors to get out of the bank. The robbers go in, but they can't go out :nono:(until the cops arrive, of course).

I tend to disagree. If a robber threatens life to get property I see no reason that he should not be shot. If he doesn't threaten life to get property, there is no reason to give him any property (or money). It is this, you can't shoot someone just because he is stealing your car or whatever attitude, that encourages robbery.

Now given the majority of bank tellers I have run into, I would probably not want them to be armed.

Too funny! I too have run into many bank tellers that would make me very nervous if they were armed. With that said, suppose a robber comes into the bank, shows no weapon, but simply slides the teller a demand note that reads something like "I have a gun, give me the money." It would be safest to simply give the BG the money and let him go on his merry way. Shooting a BG at this point would be excessive force IMHO. Now if the BG points a gun or fires shots, that would be a different story.

BTW, welcome to the group.

gf

Welcome to USA Carry, maybejim.

I like how you think. However, because the law treats people who use deadly force to protect property as criminals, I'm not sure I'd do it.

Thanks for the welcome.

With that said, suppose a robber comes into the bank, shows no weapon, but simply slides the teller a demand note that reads something like "I have a gun, give me the money."

The answer should be "I'm not authorized to do that, I'm so sorry".:girl_wacko:

It would be safest to simply give the BG the money and let him go on his merry way

Sure it's the safest thing but wouldn't stopping bank robberies be the safest thing in the long run?

Thanks for the welcome.

Now you're challenging the BG and possibly escalating the situation. Supoose the BG does have a gun, is doped up on some substance and decides to go on a shooting spree. Now you have innocent lives in danger/lost, where handing over the cash may have been the simple solution.

Sure it's the safest thing but wouldn't stopping bank robberies be the safest thing in the long run?

At what cost? Aggrivating BG into being more violent, actually firing off a few rounds when the enter the bank? Maybe even more "invasion" type robberies like the ones where the BG jump over the counter and grab the cash themselves. As long as there are BG in this world, there will be crime. Don't think we'll ever be able to "stop" bank robberies. Minimizing injury/deaths are far more important IMHO. Based on the new tactics adopted by banks, it seems like the number of robberies has gone down here in PRHI. Not sure about nationwide, but I'm sure hearing a lot less about BG doing "invasion" type bank robberies.

gf

Stopping bank robberies

Aggrivating BG into being more violent, actually firing off a few rounds when the enter the bank?

Why would it be a publicized policy? Even if it were why do you think it would cause anyone to come in shooting if they wouldn't anyway?

Minimizing injury/deaths are far more important IMHO.

I agree in the long run that has to be the goal. I'm not too sure that making that the short term goal is always the best policy.

Don't think we'll ever be able to "stop" bank robberies.

Most all strong arm bank robberies could be stopped as I said using the system used in some European countries. A door, a space, another door. You have to be buzzed in and you have to be buzzed out. Policy is no one is buzzed out after a robbery until the police arrive.

Not sure about nationwide, but I'm sure hearing a lot less about BG doing "invasion" type bank robberies.

There's still lots of bank robberies in Kalifornia. But then there is lot's of crime in Kalifornia and lot's of gun control (hmm, think there may be a connection?).

Why would it be a publicized policy? Even if it were why do you think it would cause anyone to come in shooting if they wouldn't anyway?

I agree in the long run that has to be the goal. I'm not too sure that making that the short term goal is always the best policy.

Most all strong arm bank robberies could be stopped as I said using the system used in some European countries. A door, a space, another door. You have to be buzzed in and you have to be buzzed out. Policy is no one is buzzed out after a robbery until the police arrive.

There's still lots of bank robberies in Kalifornia. But then there is lot's of crime in Kalifornia and lot's of gun control (hmm, think there may be a connection?).

You know what buddy, think what you wanna think. I'm not going to waste my time going back and forth with you. There have been many folks like yourself that have come and gone since I've become a list member. I've got other priorities.

gf

Thanks for the welcome.

As I was once a person working with money in a business. If I was ever being robbed, even IF the BG did not show a weapon, I would still not risk my life for $7.25 an hour. Id carry the load to the guy’s car before I resisted or told him I can't comply.

-Capo-

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back