Shouldn't Bank Tellers Be Armed?

At one point in my civilian career I carried a guard card. My employer wanted me to carry a firearm. I asked him if he would pay my life insurance premium. His answer was predictable. "No," he said. "No," I said. That was the end of that discussion.

Who knows for sure?

As I was once a person working with money in a business. If I was ever being robbed, even IF the BG did not show a weapon, I would still not risk my life for $7.25 an hour. Id carry the load to the guy’s car before I resisted or told him I can't comply.

I can't say for sure what I'd do but I didn't get a CCW to turn over my worldly goods or my self respect to a criminal.

I tend to disagree. If a robber threatens life to get property I see no reason that he should not be shot. If he doesn't threaten life to get property, there is no reason to give him any property (or money). It is this, you can't shoot someone just because he is stealing your car or whatever attitude, that encourages robbery.

Now given the majority of bank tellers I have run into, I would probably not want them to be armed.
If I were a bank teller, I'd be armed in case someone attacked me. I don't care about the bank. It's not my money, and the $12/hr or whatever they pay isn't worth risking one's life over. If they want the money, they can have it all. If they point a gun at me, I'll shoot back.

Unfortunately the bank would tell you that you couldn't have a gun. Good reason to not work for a bank, I suppose.

The system used in Europe would stop bank robberies. The door is a double door with a chamber in the middle. They are bullet-proof (plastic if I remember correctly). You have to be buzzed into the bank and buzzed out of the chamber between the doors to get out of the bank. The robbers go in, but they can't go out :nono:(until the cops arrive, of course).

I've seen that kind of setup in some Los Angeles area banks. I don't know good or bad any stats on robberies there.

Unfortunately the bank would tell you that you couldn't have a gun. Good reason to not work for a bank, I suppose.
Good reason to not ask them in the first place. Florida law doesn't make it easy for businesses to legally prohibit carry on their premises. It would probably annoy your bank employer and they might be able to find a reason to fire you, but it wouldn't be because of carrying.

I can't say for sure what I'd do but I didn't get a CCW to turn over my worldly goods or my self respect to a criminal.

Ditto. It took me being robbed (before I became a gun owner) to realize that. I'll guarantee that it will never happen again.

There are 2 reasons bank tellers and guards aren't armed.

1. The money is insured.
2. The amount of money a criminal is likely to get away with is far less than the amount the bank would pay out in legal settlements should a bullet go where it's not supposed too.

There are 2 reasons bank tellers and guards aren't armed.

1. The money is insured.
2. The amount of money a criminal is likely to get away with is far less than the amount the bank would pay out in legal settlements should a bullet go where it's not supposed too.

I'm thinking that you mean that bank guards, and not armored car guards, aren't armed. I've never seen an armored car employee unarmed. I don't buy into your reasoning 100%. If all that is required for bank guards not to be armed is the fact that the money is insured, then why are armored car employees armed?

I'm thinking that you mean that bank guards, and not armored car guards, aren't armed. I've never seen an armored car employee unarmed. I don't buy into your reasoning 100%. If all that is required for bank guards not to be armed is the fact that the money is insured, then why are armored car employees armed?

I've seen armored car personnel in TN and GA who weren't armed. It was surprised, but figured that there was some reason behind it. Here in PRHI there's an armored car company that sends out their personnel with revolvers that have no cylinder. In the holster, the revolvers look great. I hate to see what would happen if they were to ever get into a shoot out type situation. :eek:

gf

If all that is required for bank guards not to be armed is the fact that the money is insured, then why are armored car employees armed?

Armored car company's are contracted by the bank, so there's no liability on the banks part for a misplaced bullet.

Robberies involving armored cars usually involve very large sums of money, whereas the typical bank robbery is for a few thousand dollars.

If I were going to try and knock off an armored car, I'd try to ambush them in a remote area. The robbery would involve bad guys and armed guards, but no civilians or witnesses.

Shouldn't bank tellers be armed?

I have to agree with GF on this one, the money in a bank is insured by a federal agency, and the bank's liability would be crippling if a teller shot someone trying to stop a robbery. Usually, armored car guards I ahve seen carry money bags in one hand and their pistol in the other. Actually, bank robbery is a pretty stupid crime. If you awant to take a bank, become proficient with computers. the average bank heist nets the crook about $2,000 at great risk, and most are eventually captured. Using computers, a criminal can net millions and never be suspected. On a television program the other night, they showed a system in use in the UK. The teller pushes a button that does two things. It sounds a silent alarm a thte policestation and a wall pops up between teller and crook in less than a second. They showed a BG who had tried to jump the counter. The wall pinned his neck to the ceiling until it was released. He lived, but he probably had to plead in sign language for a few days. I heard about a quick-thinkiing teller who initialed the hold-up note and told the BG he had to get it approved by the branch manager and pointed to his desk. She then tripped the silent alarm.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. I think about my bank tellers and have to change my answer to ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY NOT.

I don't want to be next in line when some newly baptized CCW teller cuts loose on a bandit. No way.

Put in the b/p glass. Protect them that way. But no guns.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back