Shoulder Holsters

JohnLM

I want to know what the forums opinions are on shoulder holsters. Do anyone have one or have had one? I was thinking of getting one for my Glock 27. I want to know how comfortable they are and are they safe? Looking for some input please and Thank You!!::thank_you2:

Had one when I first got CHL and did not like iot because as new to carry, I didnt like my pistol pointing to the rear. COMFORTABLE YES SORT OF. i like on my belt better

Shoulder holsters are typically not good choices. Drawing can become a two handed operation and drawing a mag to reload can be a chore. If you have to run the gun can beat you to death. The Glock 27 is a small concealable weapon and it's size may contribute to drawing issues. I used a shoulder rig for a very short time and did not like it, however I was carrying a Colt Commander.

I occassionally wear a shoulder holster if I am going to be sitting down alot or driving a long distance. IMO more comfortable wearing sitting down than a belt holster and easier to draw from a seated position.

I use shoulder holsters only when I'm in tac-mode or I'm wearing a jacket and carrying 2 or more weapons.

I've used vertical and horizontal shoulder holsters. They look cool in the movies but are much less so in real life. That being said... The horizontal shoulder holsters seem to work best when I'm going to be driving for long distances, otherwise in my opinion they are a nuisance because they have a tendency to flop around. Vertical shoulder holsters can restrict your movements and generally require a longer jacket of some kind to keep properly concealed because they can be bulky even for mid-sized guns like the Glock 19. Additionally, offside magazine holders can be a pill to deal with as well if you are trying to maintain a proper stance and control of your firearm. When driving with a horizontal shoulder holster on I'll keep a spare magazine in my jacket pocket on the same side as my shoulder holster for three reasons... first, the weight of the magazine keeps my jacket down helping keep the shoulder holster concealed but helps me sweep my jacket out of the way when drawing, second, I don't have to reach across my body to get to a reload, and third, I've found it faster than the offside mag pouches as the weight of the clip generally does a good job of keeping that pocket in an easy to get to position. I also tend to keep a double mag pouch, either OTW or ITW, positioned on the same side as my weapon holster but slightly to the rear, roughly at the 7 o'clock and the 8 o'clock position. The forwardmost mag pouch has my second reload mag and the rearmost mag pouch is holding either my CRKT M16 or Cold Steel Spartan folder. Both of those folders have the advantage of being easily opened one handed by using a drag draw. Something easily achieved using the offside hand when the mag pouch is carried in that position. I have a friend who liked the way I carried but prefers to reverse it. I normally use the forwardmost offside mag pouch for a nicely sized tac flashlight. He prefers to keep his folder there and an appropriately sized taclight in the rearmost mag pouch on his hip. Either loadout will work perfectly fine if you are going to be driving long distances by yourself. Just remember two things, your holster, reloads, and general loadout are going to be dictated by the situation so think about that situation and assess your option for what will work best for you. Also, make sure you know what laws you are going to be dealing with and plan accordingly. Hope this helped.

I have used shoulder holsters in combat and occasionally for CC. Most of the time I prefer to carry in other modes, but it is an effective carry mode if you know you’re going to be sitting and unable to get to your feet quickly, or strapped in for a long drive in a vehicle. A good shoulder rig, custom fit to you and the type of clothing you’ll be wearing when you use it, should stand up to fairly rigorous physical activity without excessive flapping and banging. Concealment is fine under an overcoat, but if you’re wearing a sport jacket or suit your coat will need to be specially tailored or you will almost certainly print badly. My experience is that just going a size larger won’t cut it. It is also surprisingly easy to accidentally reveal you’re carrying with a shoulder rig.
A primary concern is the draw. A safe draw involves a more complicated movement from a shoulder holster than most carry positions on your waist. For this reason I would never recommend a shoulder rig for someone who is relatively inexperienced with carrying, or who would be unlikely to get trained properly in its use and fit, and to practice, practice.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back