Shoulder Holster Thread

340mopar

.45 Randall 1911/Glock 21
I would like to start a link for pros, cons, pics etc for Shoulder Rigs.
Please refrain from bashing shoulder Holsters in general, Limit this to experiance, and interests.
If you have an IWB, Hip,, belt, etc that you want to brag about please post elsewhere

Living in Florida where today the temp is 93 rules out a shoulder rig. Further, while not bashing them, I find them to be uncomfortable and not suitable for presentation from concealment as quickly as an IWB or paddle on the belt

Just my 2 cents

I have a couple of shoulder holsters. One a Miami Vice by Galco and a coustom made double rig by Andrews out of Fl. They are both fine rigs but still not very comfortable. That is why I seldom ware them. As with Palmach I live in Texas which is hot a lot of the year. That makes it hard to ware a shoulder rig.

Last edited:
Shoulde Holsters

Count me as a fan of shoulder holsters! I have a Galco Jack Ass Rig for my Glock 30. I wear it from September to May. I typically waer under a sport coat, suit jacket or under one of my red soxs windbreakers......which you can't tell I'm packin' no matter how hard you try to make me. I like my shoulder holster because it fits my lifestyle. I am in sales and spend a ton of time driving. As long as you're comfortable utilizing a shoulder holster, you can't go wrong.

Surfcc

I own two Shoulder Holsters.

One is a vertical Galco Holster for my Glock 19 when I'm riding my motorcycle. The other is a Ken Null for a J-Frame that goes under my dress shirt. They each fill a specific "niche".

Biker

The one I use right now is a low budget Ace Case rig. VERY comfy, and fits well. for $30 you can not beat it. I have slept in it and forgotten I was wearing it. ITs easier to conceal than my hi dollar belt holster but is not always practical.

I have been looking at the Jackass, and Miami rigs. I would love the Miami, but beeing thinner in frame think that the JA will be less likely to stand out.

As I can not find a store ANYWHERE nearby that carries, one much less both, I have held back on getting another rig. I would love to try them both on for size and see which fits me better.

HK4U You said it was uncomfortable... how so?

The one I use right now is a low budget Ace Case rig. VERY comfy, and fits well. for $30 you can not beat it. I have slept in it and forgotten I was wearing it. ITs easier to conceal than my hi dollar belt holster but is not always practical.

I have been looking at the Jackass, and Miami rigs. I would love the Miami, but beeing thinner in frame think that the JA will be less likely to stand out.

As I can not find a store ANYWHERE nearby that carries, one much less both, I have held back on getting another rig. I would love to try them both on for size and see which fits me better.

HK4U You said it was uncomfortable... how so?

Mainly it pulls on the lower part of my neck Don't notice it so much when I first put them on but after wearing them several hours I start noticing neck strain. Also kind of binds under the arms.

I have three of the original Jackass rigs that evolved into the Galco Miami series. Two are set up for 1911s and clones and one for revolvers. They have very wide, soft, suede leather over the shoulder straps and are comfortable even with a heavy rig like a Gold Cup and two spare mags.

A s/h is probably the best rig for vehicle use. True, they aren't the best for really hot weather, but aren't even that bad for that if you tote 'em OC. Nobody wants a jacket out here in August!

The Jackass-style rigs are what you might call "infinitely adjustable" and it can take a while to figger out how you want to set one up for maximum comfort and efficiency. You can set it up for the muzzle to be pointed slightly down, or up, positioning the butt exactly where you want it to be. If a Jackass rig is uncomfortable it might be because you haven't adjusted it properly. Adjusting can be tedious (chicago screws!), but you only need to do it once.

In winter-time they are excellent. A belt rig doesn't do you that much good under a bulky parka, but a s/h can work really well. My first s/h rig was a Lawrence which clamped a vertical Flat-top Ruger .357 in a leather-covered spring. A very old design. Not fast, but secure and "available" under a heavy coat. I wore that outfit all through my deer-hunting adolescence. Still have it, but it has been relegated to the "museum" now.

They aren't for everybody, and they aren't a panacea, but they sure have their uses.

When I was new to carrying and was trying to find holsters that were dirt cheap, one of the holsters I purchased was a super cheap Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. It was so complicated that I never completely figured out how to put it on and how to keep the gun from moving around. If I ever decide to purchase a shoulder rig again, I'll make sure not to purchase the cheapest one I see again, and will probably look for one made of leather instead of nylon.

My experience tells me the nylon and webbing s/hs aren't worth the price., even when it's next to nothing. Now, in fairness I have experience with only one but that was enough for me. I bought an Uncle Mike's for a scoped hunting revolver. It was just plain awful. Never used it. IMO you get what you pay for. YMMV.

I have one "real" shoulder rig, an old Bianchi X-1 and one I guess you could call a shoulder holster, a Kangaroo that is sort of a belly band with a shoulder loop that goes under a shirt.

I don't use either often but if I am driving long distance, especially if I have to wear a heavy coat in the vehicle, then the I find the shoulder rig is a lot easier to deal with than anything on the beltline. Of course since I live in Florida that does not happen that often.

I have only worn the kanagroo a few times for deep concealment.

My experience tells me the nylon and webbing s/hs aren't worth the price., even when it's next to nothing. Now, in fairness I have experience with only one but that was enough for me. I bought an Uncle Mike's for a scoped hunting revolver. It was just plain awful. Never used it. IMO you get what you pay for. YMMV.

What does YMMV mean?

I also own an unc mike..... the holster is ok but the rig is crap ... will never own another ...
the Ace Case is inexpensivep but well made, and super comfy, if I had to complain its 1/2" too wide for my frame... an easy fix if I were to be that much put out...and as I grow in age and width ... lol

Last edited:
When I was new to carrying and was trying to find holsters that were dirt cheap, one of the holsters I purchased was a super cheap Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. It was so complicated that I never completely figured out how to put it on and how to keep the gun from moving around. If I ever decide to purchase a shoulder rig again, I'll make sure not to purchase the cheapest one I see again, and will probably look for one made of leather instead of nylon.

This was my first Store Bought Shoulder rig. I am convinced the only reason they still sell them, is the number of first time buyers that go thru them. I still have it, I guess as a reminder as to why I will never own another...

My first shoulder holster was an Uncle Mike's. It wasn't so bad. I bought a second for a second gun and eventually bought 2 leather shoulder rigs. I still use them but mostly use the leather ones as they are a bit more comfortable.

They don't pull your pants down. - In fact they can keep them up if you wear tie downs.
Need to go to the restroom? No problem like using a belt holster.

Driving? Sholder holsters work best for me.

In the summertime I do not use them but when it gets cooler I wear them a lot.

However,

A lot of people just don't like them.
Adjustment is critical.
Need a covering garment that you can't take off.
They are expensive.

I had intended a one-gun, one-holster carry but it just didn't work that way for me.

I have a DeSantis for my M&P 9mm that I wear under my heavy, cold weather gear while snowmobiling and four wheeling. Anything on the belt or IWB is just too uncomfortable with all the bouncing in a seated position.

Getting the shoulder rig adjusted just ring and balancing it with two full mags on the opposite side makes it comfortable and secure.

Just not wearable in warmer weather.

TAG

I just went thru 2 years of back issues, and believe me .... the Shoulder rig was so much better during that period. I did not carry as much, heck I did not go many places, but it was easier on my back when I did.:crazy_pilot:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back