Should your carry gun have a light trigger?

tricolordad

Banned
I was looking through a few online publications and came across this...I had not considered this as an issue before. Maybe it isn't, but I feel like maybe a discussion should be warranted since there are so many new gun owners as of late (due to the political "policies" of Obutthole) who don't know enough about the handgun they are packing. And admit it, if you've been to the range lately, a lot of guys new to guns are buying tricked out competition guns for every day carry. (instructors, you know what I'm saying lolz) Read the article and leave some input.

Link Removed

Personally, I feel that if you know your gun intimately and have a good safety in your noggin, a 3 pound trigger would actually be beneficial were you in a bad situation. I do feel that someone new to guns may be at risk for an accidental discharge, but what do I know?

NO, lawyers will eat your lunch in court. Your carry gun should have NO mods from factory,otherwise you look like a crazed maniac planning on a kill to the masses(read jury).:hang3:

NO, lawyers will eat your lunch in court. Your carry gun should have NO mods from factory,otherwise you look like a crazed maniac planning on a kill to the masses(read jury).:hang3:

In theory that's probably true, but the only way I could possibly see that scenario coming into play would be if the info were voluntarily divulged. Sure the gun would be confiscated, and it would probably even be examined for mods, but the weight of the trigger pull though? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't something like the weight of the trigger pull be easily overlooked?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD

Horse puckey. If the shoot is righteous, it's righteous regardless. HOWEVER, if you shoot someone due to an ND with a gun with a hair trigger, you are most likely going to spend a long time in a small cage. Also, trigger weights are, and should be, different for different applications. My 1911's have triggers between 4 and 5#, My striker fired guns are between 5 and 7# DA revolvers have single action triggers about 6#, DA pulls are about 12 #.
Keep in mind that semi-auto pistols that have no manual safety, rely partly on a heavy trigger as a partial safety mechanism.

In theory that's probably true, but the only way I could possibly see that scenario coming into play would be if the info were voluntarily divulged. Sure the gun would be confiscated, and it would probably even be examined for mods, but the weight of the trigger pull though? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but wouldn't something like the weight of the trigger pull be easily overlooked?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
My p22 that I carry quite often has a 2.4lb trigger, stock from the factory. This is one reason why I ask. The other is because a lot of people bought their first gun in the shortage, and all that was available at times was the tricked out competition guns.

If you think criminal charges are all you will face in a shooting, you are sorely mistaken. Yes they will check everything on your gun including trigger pull. I am not sure what you are carrying but I doubt that it is functioning correctly to have a less than 3 lb trigger pull from the factory. The only handguns I own that have a trigger that light are my competiton guns All of which are custom built not factory guns.I would never carry a competion gun for SD for the reasons I would never carry a modified gun either. One less thing you have to explain in the court battle that you WILL have to fight if you have to use it.

If you think criminal charges are all you will face in a shooting, you are sorely mistaken. Yes they will check everything on your gun including trigger pull. I am not sure what you are carrying but I doubt that it is functioning correctly to have a less than 3 lb trigger pull from the factory. The only handguns I own that have a trigger that light are my competiton guns All of which are custom built not factory guns.I would never carry a competion gun for SD for the reasons I would never carry a modified gun either. One less thing you have to explain in the court battle that you WILL have to fight if you have to use it.

its listed as 4.8 lbs in american rifleman, but I had it guaged at the range and it is indeed 2.4lbs. the gun operates flawlessly, no feed or cycling issues. I myself am skeptical that it could be used against me effectively in court. I have an attorney friend and I am considering asking what he thinks.

Think what you will but I know of a case where a persons perfect score on a pistol qualification course was used against him. It doesn't matter what the reality is,what matters is what the perception is. The majority of your juries are going to be scared of and clueless about guns. Anything that can be twisted to increase that fear or abuse that ignorance will. The fact that you are asking questions here tells me you have doubts. Do what you feel is correct. It is your neck that might be in the noose. Also read anything you can find by Massad Ayoob He has a lot of experience in these areas. Don't take what anyone says on these forums as fact do your own research :cool:

If you shoot was legal it does not matter if you have 100lbs trigger pull or .5lbs....The only thing the court is concerned with "were you within the your rights to pull the trigger"....

Anything else is B.S fluff!

It won't matter what trigger pull you have if your dead. Whatever #'s pull the shooter is the most accurate with, is what should be in the firearm.

If you shoot was legal it does not matter if you have 100lbs trigger pull on .5lbs....The only thing the court is concerned with "were you within the your rights to pull the trigger"....

Anything else is B.S fluff!

Don't know what I think about this - would love to believe that, but you clearly have more faith in the legal/court system and intelligence of a jury of your "peers" than I do. Besides, I see no need to modify the trigger on my EDC.

I think it's probably a fine line to walk legally. But, a good shoot is a good shoot if you live in free America. JMHO

Personally, I don't carry a firearm that has been worked on in anyway. I think consistency of the pull and competency of the shooter may be more important than having a "hair" trigger if you ever find yourself in a courtroom.

-

I would love to sit on a case where an overzealous prosecutor tried to tie trigger pull to being a gun maniac. There are prosecutors like that out there but they often get their butts chewed by the jury in the end. And a loss in court does hurt their record.

Don't know what I think about this - would love to believe that, but you clearly have more faith in the legal/court system and intelligence of a jury of your "peers" than I do. Besides, I see no need to modify the trigger on my EDC.

Nor do I..My weapon is fine from factory....Now my Dad would never accept factory trigger pull....If you are justified in killing a man it matters not what you use or how you use it. Unless you cause collateral damage.

Think what you will but I know of a case where a persons perfect score on a pistol qualification course was used against him. It doesn't matter what the reality is,what matters is what the perception is. The majority of your juries are going to be scared of and clueless about guns. Anything that can be twisted to increase that fear or abuse that ignorance will. The fact that you are asking questions here tells me you have doubts. Do what you feel is correct. It is your neck that might be in the noose. Also read anything you can find by Massad Ayoob He has a lot of experience in these areas. Don't take what anyone says on these forums as fact do your own research :cool:

Rather than rely on advise from Massad Ayoob, you should consult a criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction.

The trigger on my semi-auto is double action for the first shot. So it is like carrying a revolver. Every shot after that is single action. I like it that way, don't use any safety but still feel safe.

:dance3:

IMHO, I would not buy a gun if I didn't like it. Both my CC guns are DAO, and I don't care what the trigger pull is if I can hit what I am shooting at. I personally do not like DA/SA for a gun that I might need to shoot in an emergency with adrenalin running high, I prefer consistency of having it be the same every time. If I had to guess, my LC9 and LCP are about 7-8# DAO, but whatever they are it is right out of the box, and I practice with them so I am comfortable with it.
-
In answer to the initial question, if my gun had an extremely light trigger pull, I would prefer that it has a good manual safety to help prevent ND.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back