Should this Minnesota man have pleaded guilty in killing a guest in his home?

fullasn

Hi All,

Please read the article and let me know what you guys think.

There is little to go by but this would have been a hard case to plead self defense.

"A third man also there to watch the game heard the girlfriend and Thomas yell at Koenig, demanding that he leave.

Koenig, saying he had the photos taken for his Facebook page, initially went to the door, according to the third man, but then rushed toward the gunman, saying Thomas lacked the guts to "do anything about it."

Thomas responded with a shotgun blast to Koenig's chest."

Burnsville man admits killing guest during Bears-Packers viewing party | StarTribune.com

Sounds like a case of at least manslughter, if not second degree murder. So, yes, he should plead guilty by reason of being drunk.

There was in the sentence that said Koenig rushed at Thomas instead of going to the front door...that was the confusing bit. Did Thomas felt threatened? If he does, then what is the castle doctrine law in Minnesota?

Hey Mom: So he rushed the guy----the guy with the shotgun. Imminent threat of death or great bodily injury? Who? As it turns out, the imminent threat was to the rusher, not to the guy with the shotgun. He was invited into the house in the first place---Castle Doctrine? Just sayin. If anything, it is amazing what goes on in this country--all this over a football game and some pictures among a group of drunks.

He really needs a good Attorney,but he has about a chance of snow in Oklahoma in August of beating the States case against him.
He might as well get ready for prison.

Hey Mom: So he rushed the guy----the guy with the shotgun. Imminent threat of death or great bodily injury? Who? As it turns out, the imminent threat was to the rusher, not to the guy with the shotgun. He was invited into the house in the first place---Castle Doctrine? Just sayin. If anything, it is amazing what goes on in this country--all this over a football game and some pictures among a group of drunks.
One thing is sure...the kid's dad did not invite that pantyhead to his house to shoot him...I am going to be hard-headed here and play devil's advocate --: he rushed towards Thomas and Thomas had very little time to think, got his gun and shoot him. If he didn't, what could have happened? Maybe the right way will be just to warn Koenig instead of shoot him outright? Or shoot on the ground, he will ruin his house or whatever is down there? God Almighty! I do not think he can get away from serving a prison term. Both of them were dead drunk. Gun + alcohol + temper is so much different than Cointreau + lime + Don Jose Cuervo.

-
Yes. They had been drinking, the shooter was pissed because his son had taken a 'topless' photo of the dead guy, & he escalated the situation by bringing a firearm into the argument.

The shooter wanted the dead guy to leave his house. He should've just called the police.

Rule number one: If someone tells you to leave their house and they are pointing a shotgun at you, LEAVE.
I'm not saying the shooter was justified without hearing more about the situation but that's the last thing I would do if I had a choice between walking out the door or rushing a drunk guy with a shotgun. I wonder how much Vodka they consumed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back