Should I get an out of state CCW?

Romans5.8

I see a few folks advertising classes for Florida, Utah, etc. CCW classes. What's the advantage? Any reason I should pursue those permits instead of a MO endorsement?

-John

Only advantage would be if that state does not have reciprocity with your home state.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

or you want to be legally exempt from the Federal 1000' School Zone prohibition in a state other than the state your permit is from.

I agree with both the other posts. With your MO CCW you'll have reciprocity/right to carry in more states than the non-resident CCW issued by Florida, Utah or Maine. The only advantage you'll gain is that with Florida CCW you'll be able to carry in Virginia and with Main'es you'll be able to carry there.

I see a few folks advertising classes for Florida, Utah, etc. CCW classes. What's the advantage? Any reason I should pursue those permits instead of a MO endorsement?

-John

Several factors come into play when investigating an out-of-state CCW verse Missouri CCW.

1. Depending on what county you reside in will tell you the cost of having a Missouri permit verse paying for an OOS permit.

2. Missouri will recognize an OOS permit, other states may not. For example to get Utah permit you must now have your home-states permit first.

3. If you take an OOS course that does not include Missouri laws regarding use of force and weapons offenses, will you be in the know regarding the laws of your home state?

4. If you have passed MDC's Hunter Ed course or have a Military DD214 (discharge papers) you can apply for a Florida permit.

5. As Navy had mentioned (Federal Gun Free School Zone Act) with a Missouri permit you are good to go dropping of children at school as opposed to not having this privilege with an OOS.

6. I personally have both. My reasoning had to do with Wisconsin. At the time Wisconsin passed CCW they did not recognize the Missouri endorsement. I have in-laws that reside in Wisconsin so I applied for a Arizona permit to cover me while in Wisconsin. By the way, Wisconsin now recognizes the Missouri permit. LOL

7. I will keep both my permits current in the odd case that my Missouri would expire before I could renew it (current case in Jackson County with better then 30 day wait for an appointment).

Your call sir. My recommendation is to always get your home state permit first and then second, an OOS if you desire.

Makes enough sense RJT. The plan all along was to get a MO permit but with folks recommending a Florida permit here and there I wondered if there was some reason. In doing some digging, I realize that reason may actually be that it's easier and cheaper. I can send a few bucks and my hunter ID card and get a permit. But, sometimes easier and cheaper certainly isn't better. I want to take the classes to get a grasp on the laws if nothing else.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back