shotshell reloading

burchesss

I know that they make shotshell specific press and kits but is it posibol to convert a metalic press to reload shotshells also? If you cant tell I have never reloaded anything but have been thinking about it.

I know that they make shotshell specific press and kits but is it posibol to convert a metalic press to reload shotshells also? If you cant tell I have never reloaded anything but have been thinking about it.

i have been reloading all my life and never have seen anything that converts a metalic press to a shotshell press.

Never seen anything like that. Here's why:

Metallic cartridge:
-deprime/size
-prime/charge
-seat/crimp

Shotshell:
-Deprime
-Prime
-Charge powder
-seat wad
-drop shot
-Pre-crimp
-crimp
-taper crimp

Now many shotshell presses combine a couple of those operations, but it is very difficult to simplify the process to a point that doing it on any existing single stage or progressive meatllic would be possible.

If you want to make your own tooling to do shotshells on a metallic press, you have my blessing.

Just wondering, I have never reloaded anything but have been looking into equiptment. Someone told me the other day that it was hard to comeout ahead loading shotshells anymore is this true? I can buy 100 for $22.97

You use to. RCBS made shotshell dies; the instructions are Link Removed. It converts a Rock Chucker into a single stage shotshell press. I was lucky enough to pick up a 12 GA die set on gunbroker recently. I think the reason RCBS killed off that product is because now they have shotshell presses. Before they did this was their solution for shotshell reloading.

I don't know about the feasibility of coming out ahead reloading shotshells. I picked up the 12 GA RCBS die set to reload shotshells in case I had to. It was also the reason why I bought a Rock Chucker back in the early 90's.

Last edited:
I reload shot shell so I can get the loads I want. I have noticed shot shell prices are going up again.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back