Short stay in Illinois

buff7mm

In a couple of weeks I will be going to western Illinois for work for about a months stay. Then its on to Missouri for a couple of months. Since I have a permit that is good in Missouri and will end up there, do you forsee any problems with thaking my handgun along for the stay while in Illinois. I have a small gun safe in my pickup to keep my firearm locked in.

Illinois has probably the strictest gun laws of any state in the union. I was there on business a couple of months ago and my Virginia CCW permit was not recognized.

Owning a weapon is not illegal, but how you carry it around is a different matter.

I talked to a shooting buddy of mine who lives in Illinois. He said the laws are as follows: The gun must be in a container (safe, case...) designed for a firearm. The gun can not be loaded, meaning no rounds in the chamber and no loaded magazine in the gun. Ammunition and loaded magazines can be in the case with the gun (i always keep them seperate just incase I run into a A-hole cop). The gun and case must not be within reach of anyone in the car, so the best way to do it is put the case in the trunk. The case does not need to be locking, but I always have mine locked in the trunk when im driving through Illinois.
My buddy did say that if driving through chicago and a cop finds the firearm it will not matter how you store the pistol you'll be arrested. Cops in chicago get bonuses for making weapons arrests.
Dont take this as any legal advice, make sure you check out all the B.S. laws Illinois has before you go.

Board Message (Link to original document)

you don't wanna get it wrong in Illinois. We are the original creeps when it comes to gun laws. Hope the link works. if not, go to illinois state police website. Seriously, there are two different codes that apply, and you must comply with both.

Last edited:
I talked to a shooting buddy of mine who lives in Illinois. He said the laws are as follows: The gun must be in a container (safe, case...) designed for a firearm. The gun can not be loaded, meaning no rounds in the chamber and no loaded magazine in the gun. Ammunition and loaded magazines can be in the case with the gun (i always keep them seperate just incase I run into a A-hole cop). The gun and case must not be within reach of anyone in the car, so the best way to do it is put the case in the trunk. The case does not need to be locking, but I always have mine locked in the trunk when im driving through Illinois.
My buddy did say that if driving through chicago and a cop finds the firearm it will not matter how you store the pistol you'll be arrested. Cops in chicago get bonuses for making weapons arrests.
Dont take this as any legal advice, make sure you check out all the B.S. laws Illinois has before you go.

I called the Illionis state police and they told me that it would be alright as long as I keep it locked in the small safe in my truck. I dont plan on going to chicago or any other big city so I hope everything works out.

The gun safe is fine. There are about 3 illinois statutes you must comply with. Unloaded and in a case by itself is only valid for Illinois residents with a FOID - and then in another statute it specifically states that the case must be specifically made for firearms. The exception for non-residents without FOID's transporting firearms is that they be broken down in a non-functioning state OR made not readily accessible - so you safe makes it not readily accessible and you should be just fine.

Here's the big argument thread with the actual statutes quoted:
Traveling through Illinois - THR

In a couple of weeks I will be going to western Illinois for work for about a months stay. Then its on to Missouri for a couple of months. Since I have a permit that is good in Missouri and will end up there, do you forsee any problems with thaking my handgun along for the stay while in Illinois. I have a small gun safe in my pickup to keep my firearm locked in.

Staying for a month is different than driving through the state. Residents of that state cannot keep a firearm in their home without a permit. I would re-check and re-think this.

yeah, and I also have a friend from their who says even having a Magazine loaded is an offense. so make sure you ammo isn't in the magazine even if the mag isn't with the gun.

but if you're going to be there for more than a passing drive through, you should really rethink the idea. maybe call the local police and ask them for what the law really says.

Staying for a month is different than driving through the state. Residents of that state cannot keep a firearm in their home without a permit. I would re-check and re-think this.

And what is the statue/law/public act/rule that requires that? I have lived here my entire life except my stint with the military and have not nor do I know of any such requirement. Possibly you are refering to a city/county ordinance?

During your stay take note of where you are living. If it is a hotel/motel room I suspect it would be afoul the law to have your weapon in loaded in the room with you-check with the local sheriff/states attorney to be mostly sure. If you rent a home/apartment for your stay then most likely you will be OK, but still I encourage you to check with the local Sheriff/SA/LEO's. I agree it sucks, but with Mayor Daily and the Chicago group....
Missouri is much more friendly!

Last edited:
And what is the statue/law/public act/rule that requires that? I have lived here my entire life except my stint with the military and have not nor do I know of any such requirement. Possibly you are refering to a city/county ordinance?

If you don't have one of these you'll be in big trouble if they catch you.

Link Removed

What is a FOID card?
The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.

Who needs a FOID card?
Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

During your stay take note of where you are living. If it is a hotel/motel room I suspect it would be afoul the law to have your weapon in loaded in the room with you-check with the local sheriff/states attorney to be mostly sure. If you rent a home/apartment for your stay then most likely you will be OK, but still I encourage you to check with the local Sheriff/SA/LEO's. I agree it sucks, but with Mayor Daily and the Chicago group....
Missouri is much more friendly!

NavyLT has some good advice. You are allowed to have a loaded firearm in your abode and HB182 passed recently and specifically said a hotel or motel room is considered your abode. Actually Indiana and Ohio seems to have worse transportation laws than Illinois. With the Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card you can have a cased firearm unloaded with a loaded magazine in the same case in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. In fact the Illinois lobbyist for the NRA says it is also legal for non residents because the state will not issue them a FOID card. If this is true the Illinois State Police website doesn't mention it. The FOID might be the permit mentioned that is needed to have a firearm in your home if you are an Illinois resident.

Exercising caution, especially in the Chicago area is a good idea since there may be local ordinances different than state in regard to transport. Also there are too many cops ignorant of the state firearm transport laws. They are on the Illinois State Police website, but don't expect every trooper to know them.

I lived in Illinois for 5 years. My son lived there for 10 years and I visited him three times a year. I will travel through Illinois (son now lives in MO) with revolver in COM safe along with laminated copy of Illinois SP Bulletin on Travel with firearms in trunk , but no way would I stay there a month with a gun. Every little community has their own laws and can make them stick. Way too easy to get locked up, those people do not like out of staters carrying guns around their state, even in your car!

Those of you from the western states that want to start screaming you need to make a 2dA stand because they can't do that would find yourselves announcing your rights through jail bars in Illinois.

When I went to my son's house in IL, I left gun home because it is way to easy to get in trouble. For RTKBA purposes I consider IL a foreign country ( USA laws don't apply!) and act accordingly.

The gun safe is fine. There are about 3 illinois statutes you must comply with. Unloaded and in a case by itself is only valid for Illinois residents with a FOID - and then in another statute it specifically states that the case must be specifically made for firearms. The exception for non-residents without FOID's transporting firearms is that they be broken down in a non-functioning state OR made not readily accessible - so you safe makes it not readily accessible and you should be just fine.

Here's the big argument thread with the actual statutes quoted:
Traveling through Illinois - THR
The state of Illinois does not recognize any concealed carry license for carry, but if you have one, they do consider it to be an accepted non-res FOID.
Nobody in Illinois is supposed to transport any loaded firearm, but you can have a loaded firearm in your dwelling. You must carry in to/from the vehicle unloaded and cased.
If you don't drive stupidly, and have your lights and seat belts on, the cops are too busy to bother you.
Be more worried about the car thieves and burglars who will steal your gun, or any other thing of value.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back