Shooting while Pregnant??

Just had our last ultra sounds, unless there are complications, and talked with the doctor.

Noise will not affect the fetus at any point in development. Recommended shooting in a well ventilated area and to wash your entire body asap.

So basically what jcreek and rotor said.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I hope things continue to go well, and that everyone remains healthy, and happy.

Many thanks for the update regarding potential harm to the fetus. Yours is the first feedback from any doctor that I've personally heard about.

Regards, Jay

I hope things continue to go well, and that everyone remains healthy, and happy.

Many thanks for the update regarding potential harm to the fetus. Yours is the first feedback from any doctor that I've personally heard about.

Regards, Jay

I hope that there are the proper number of fingers and toes, and that the constitution is the baby's first bedtime story! (you know initially it's the sound of your voice rather than what you say...)

Our local range does not allow pregnant or nursing women on the range.

I could understand nursing with no confident way of guarding the babies ears...but why pregnant? Seems rather discriminatory. I'm all for private property rights, but I still don't understand some of the illogical, or rather uninformed, reasons to discriminate.

Just had our last ultra sounds, unless there are complications, and talked with the doctor.

Noise will not affect the fetus at any point in development. Recommended shooting in a well ventilated area and to wash your entire body asap.

I need to echo something I said previously that I notice isn't being said when recommending washing thoroughly. When washing with warm or hot water, your pores are opened and the lead actually can be absorbed more easily. When washing after being at the range you should use cold water only. Yes, not very pleasant but it keeps the pores closed and the lead is more easily washed off of you.

I can understand a range not wanting to be responsible for babies getting unintentional poisoning b/c mom breathed in the airborne lead on the range and excreted it in breast milk. Another reason for banning nursing moms is that the airborne lead penetrates all layers of clothing. Unless Mom is diligent about washing EVERYTHING after going to the range, taking a shower and washing hair, the child may become contaminated. They don't want that kind of liability.

From what I got at the doctors, granted its only a doctor's medical opinion, the risk is so minute if one were to wash as soon as possible, even a developing fetus wouldn't have problems. I see the possibility...but it's also possible for a ricochet to hit the baby too...to me it seems to be an overreaction.

Um... I think it has to do with possible lead transferrence from mom to baby. I doubt many nursing mothers would choose to do so on the firing line.

Yeah, if I was shooting when my son was that age, I would be doing so while he was at daycare. A good cold shower afterwards and should be good to go. If you really want to be safe, pump & dump before feeding.

Yeah, if I was shooting when my son was that age, I would be doing so while he was at daycare. A good cold shower afterwards and should be good to go. If you really want to be safe, pump & dump before feeding.

TMI! TMI! :eek:
-
Really though, I'm a father of 3 so you ain't surprising me. I think the issues with lead dust would be more of a concern with exposed skin and outer clothing. I understand that hot brass in cleavage isn't a wonderful experience...but I doubt there are many women that choose to shoot topless to avoid it. IMHO, I would think that a woman that is breast-feeding would be better served to just wear an over-shirt (or a t-shirt under regular shirt), and not worry about looking good by displaying the mommy-boobs at the range and opt for a closed neck shirt or buttoned up shirt.

TMI! TMI! :eek:
-
Really though, I'm a father of 3 so you ain't surprising me. I think the issues with lead dust would be more of a concern with exposed skin and outer clothing. I understand that hot brass in cleavage isn't a wonderful experience...but I doubt there are many women that choose to shoot topless to avoid it. IMHO, I would think that a woman that is breast-feeding would be better served to just wear an over-shirt (or a t-shirt under regular shirt), and not worry about looking good by displaying the mommy-boobs at the range and opt for a closed neck shirt or buttoned up shirt.

Haha sorry... kind of figured this was mostly parents/prospective parents who have been there, done that! Three kids, you know how it goes... eventually you just gotta do what you gotta do.

And yeah, think so too... I always wear t-shirts with high necks. Besides, who would be willing to comment on the looks or attire of a sleep-deprived, armed, new mother just trying to relieve stress and get some practice in?

Haha sorry... kind of figured this was mostly parents/prospective parents who have been there, done that! Three kids, you know how it goes... eventually you just gotta do what you gotta do.

And yeah, think so too... I always wear t-shirts with high necks. Besides, who would be willing to comment on the looks or attire of a sleep-deprived, armed, new mother just trying to relieve stress and get some practice in?

Don't get me wrong. Mommy boobs are a wonderful gift, I just think the firing line probably isn't the smartest place to show 'em off:no:

Don't get me wrong. Mommy boobs are a wonderful gift, I just think the firing line probably isn't the smartest place to show 'em off:no:

Definitely not (hot brass + any type of cleavage = no good!)... but possibly she didn't anticipate the... um, expansion... properly, and hasn't gotten new shirts yet. LMAO

Babies and noises

If pregnant women cant be in gun ranges for fear of damaging the childs hearing,, then they shouldn't be able to be in cars with loud sound systems either.....

Actually there are a couple of possible concerns. Sound is one, but also lead ingestion. This url will take you to an article hosted on Tennessee Tech University's web site entitled, "Shooting while pregnant: Dangerous or not?"
See what you think.

Unfortunately, there are no definitive studies that clearly answerthis question.

When this topic first came up this author contacted several respecteddoctors for their opinion (including the co-author of this article)as to whether a pregnant student should participate in a firearmstraining
course for women. The doctors we contacted seemed to agree thatthere was no reason why she shouldn't shoot. We knew the rangewas lead-free and the ammunition was frangible, and with thatproviso, the doctors all agreed.

Then someone brought up the question of the noise, and no oneseemed to have any answers as to whether that could harm the baby,and thus began a quest to find out the truth about shooting andpregnancy.
Link Removed

I could understand nursing with no confident way of guarding the babies ears...but why pregnant? Seems rather discriminatory. I'm all for private property rights, but I still don't understand some of the illogical, or rather uninformed, reasons to discriminate.

Lead. It is an indoor range.

Unfortunately, there are no definitive studies that clearly answerthis question.

How many pregnant mothers do YOU know that would want to subject themselves and their baby to that study on the off chance that it is safe?

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back