Shooting range question

ugarolla

I was wondering about the laws regarding shooting ranges. I have a concealed carry permit, but everytime I go to my local range in Athens, Ga the guys seem to complain about something. I had my gun unloaded strapped in the holster and cocked back and they got onto me b/c the magazine was in. Then, next time I had it unloaded magazine out and strapped in and they complained the slide wasn't locked back. Are these guys busting my balls for no reason, am I out of line here, what is the law about this. You would think they would be gun advocates, the employees are all packing yet they call me out on some little thing every time. Please explain.

I just want to know if there is some law, because if not I will tell them to fuck off and just carry it in there like I want to b/c I have a permit anyways.

I'd be careful on how you act on any particular range. Be respectful and keep in mind that the range is "private property". They can "trespass" you at any time. Meet with the manager and get the range rules in writing if possible. Do your best to comply with the rules. If you don't like the rules on that particular range, you can always find another place to shoot.

I've been to many shooting ranges and have had numerous range RSO types get on me for various things. I do my best to keep my cool and have had my share of conversations with the manager or "range master" to clear things up. What I do know is that using language like "f**k off" will be an almost certain way to get kicked off of the range.

gf

There is probably no law that governs how a firearm is carried into a range but I'd be willing to bet they have policies that cover it. Safety is the major priority at a firing range and having a cleared weapon to and from the range area is just standard procedure. Being a private range they can have you bring it in any way they want. Telling them what you said will most likely just get you kicked out of their facility. Instead of being negative about it why don't you just ask what their policy is and abide by it?

I fully understand the policy. What I'm saying is, Of all the places in the world you would think you could carry your sidearm with a permit it would be there. And even having the magazine out and in the holster is not good enough for them. I have been nothing but respectful to them so far. They are carrying there weapons properly as long as I am I don't see why they have a problem.

Different ranges have different rules. I've been on ranges where they don't mind if you have your "Concealed" firearm "concealed". Most ranges I've been on don't allow OC for customers unless there's an organized event or function going on. I've never understood the policy, but abide by it since it's their range and they make the rules for the range.

I've run my share of ranges. Once checking in with me and producing the proper documentation (training, permit/license, etc) I have no problem with law abiding citizens having a holstered firearm on my range. What I don't allow is "holster draws" unless special arrangements are made. There are folks on the range who may "freak out" if they see another shooter drawing a firearm from a holster. It also gets the other RSOs' a little "edgy". Everyone needs to know what's going on to eliminate any misunderstandings.

My recommendation would be to talk with the range staff and see if you can work something out. If not, as stated earlier, I'd find another place to shoot.

gf

Unless it's the owners, or a range supervisor type, just nod your head and say thanks. As stated before be respectful with everyone. I don't know if Atlanta has a specific law but it's possible they would use the "public gathering" clause against you. The mayor and P.D. aren't the friendliest towards CCW and it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I know of at least one range here that requires you to have all guns unloaded when you come in the front door. No law just policy.

We have one range loacally that's run by the state and they are sticklers for their rules. All guns have to be in a case (not a holster), unloaded, no magazines inserted and no magazines loaded, action open and they check everything on the way in. No holster carry even if you have an HCP and no silhouette targets. Once you're on the range, the rules are just as tight. The upside is that it is a safe family oriented range. There really isn't a downside, but I do like to practice with silhouette targets. They say shooting a human shaped target sets a bad example for the kids.

Another state owned range has basically no rules. I've never been there because the shop owners say that the gang-bangers go there to shoot their AK's and it's not uncommon for one of them to open fire while someone is down range replacing a target. There is no range supervision. Some rules are a good thing. :)

The other privately owned ranges have rules, but as long as you are courteous and use common sense, they aren't hard to follow and there are never any problems.

I've had some range guys get on my case as well. even just as I was coming in and setting my stuff down they would jump on my back.. they were told in a nice way that they did not have to talk down to me like I don't know anything. since then I have found a mini game area that I go shooting at.. no range masters, just me and a buddy. can shoot all day long without some one breathing down my neck.

We have one range loacally that's run by the state and they are sticklers for their rules. All guns have to be in a case (not a holster), unloaded, no magazines inserted and no magazines loaded, action open and they check everything on the way in. No holster carry even if you have an HCP and no silhouette targets. Once you're on the range, the rules are just as tight. The upside is that it is a safe family oriented range. There really isn't a downside, but I do like to practice with silhouette targets. They say shooting a human shaped target sets a bad example for the kids.

Another state owned range has basically no rules. I've never been there because the shop owners say that the gang-bangers go there to shoot their AK's and it's not uncommon for one of them to open fire while someone is down range replacing a target. There is no range supervision. Some rules are a good thing. :)

The other privately owned ranges have rules, but as long as you are courteous and use common sense, they aren't hard to follow and there are never any problems.

They say shooting a human shaped target sets a bad example for the kids.
Safety is one thing but that is crazy. I worked with a guy once like that. He would only shoot at a bulls eye target. I guess if you are training for an attack by a bulls eye that is o.k.:fie:

I didn't know that gang bangers went to the range and practiced shooting. :lol:

gf

I'd like to know why, if it's your everyday concealed carry weapon, they would even know about it. If you want to practice with it then bring it in according to range rules and shoot it. If it's your carry defense weapon then carry it and keep it concealed as you would anywhere else you go. Concealed means just that. DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL. Our local range don't care about how you carry or what you shoot as long as you follow basic safety rules. When I go to shoot, My guns and ammo are cased until I reach the firing line and my defense weapon is concealed on my person. That's where it stays. If I want to shoot it I carry another for the evening and it is in the case. As was pointed out in previous posts, antagonizing the help will only cause you grief. Be Nice, Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

I didn't know that gang bangers went to the range and practiced shooting. :lol:

gf

They don't go to the "real" ranges. This particular range in nothing more than a field owned by the state. If they must practice, I guess it's a good thing that they can have the place all to themselves.

I'd like to know why, if it's your everyday concealed carry weapon, they would even know about it. If you want to practice with it then bring it in according to range rules and shoot it. If it's your carry defense weapon then carry it and keep it concealed as you would anywhere else you go. Concealed means just that. DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL.

The TN HCP is a permit to carry any way you want. By the letter of the law we are allowed to carry open or concealed anyplace that's not posted, federal, etc. The range is state owned and it's not posted, so the law says I can carry my loaded weapon on the premises. I did question them on it and was told that those are the rules. I don't take it further because they are the only 100 yard rifle range in the area.

Before I check in, I unload my carry gun, leave the loaded mags in the car and put the gun and some empty mags in my gym (gun) bag with the rest of the guns. After going through check point Charlie, I reload and the gun goes back on my belt. They don't check you going out, just coming in. Even though they may be pushing the whole 2A rights issue, their intentions are to keep the range safe.

I guess it's better than having a newbie experience a UD because he didn't know how to clear his new gun...and there are plenty of of newbies out and about these days. Every time we're there we see the range officers basically teaching people how to use their guns.

I was wondering about the laws regarding shooting ranges. I have a concealed carry permit, but everytime I go to my local range in Athens, Ga the guys seem to complain about something. I had my gun unloaded strapped in the holster and cocked back and they got onto me b/c the magazine was in. Then, next time I had it unloaded magazine out and strapped in and they complained the slide wasn't locked back. Are these guys busting my balls for no reason, am I out of line here, what is the law about this. You would think they would be gun advocates, the employees are all packing yet they call me out on some little thing every time. Please explain.

Unloaded, Magazine OUT, slide OPEN. If you present a weapon to anyone in our club unlike described, you can be terminated. If you accept a firearm from anyone other than that you can be terminated. If you accept one from the licensing officer for the state you will be denied a CC permit.

Hope that helps.

The TN HCP is a permit to carry any way you want. By the letter of the law we are allowed to carry open or concealed anyplace that's not posted, federal, etc. The range is state owned and it's not posted, so the law says I can carry my loaded weapon on the premises. I did question them on it and was told that those are the rules. I don't take it further because they are the only 100 yard rifle range in the area.

Before I check in, I unload my carry gun, leave the loaded mags in the car and put the gun and some empty mags in my gym (gun) bag with the rest of the guns. After going through check point Charlie, I reload and the gun goes back on my belt. They don't check you going out, just coming in. Even though they may be pushing the whole 2A rights issue, their intentions are to keep the range safe.

I guess it's better than having a newbie experience a UD because he didn't know how to clear his new gun...and there are plenty of of newbies out and about these days. Every time we're there we see the range officers basically teaching people how to use their guns.

I have been hunting with high power rifles for most of my life, so i know a little bit about firearms and safety precautions. I'm not saying im an expert, but its a mind set. I was raised to think " treat a gun as if it were loaded " regardless of whether it is or not. Rifles are more bulky than a pistol, but it should still be the same. I have been wanting my HCP for a while now and have recently started watching videos and reading about proper handling and loading and unloading procedures. I have learned alot some of which i did know, but most of it i didnt so not all newbies are insane. :-D but i cant say that ive never given newbies crap. haha.

About the CCW and the spit your getting from the range, I would venture to say if they've gotten onto you about it that many times your doing something wrong. Even if they are just giving you a hard time i would still have a "come to jesus " with the range supervisor. you can never be too safe.

Indoor range I use requires guns and clips to be empty till into the range. Do they check my guns? Not always. Do they want to keep it safe for everyone? Yes. Enterance to the range is through the store so they need the extra safety. Holstered or case is ok as long is no ammo is in anything but the boxes designed for its storage. No reloads allowed but if you buy ammo from them, discounted range time. Their prices match other local dealers too.

Range "carry"

First you don't say who "the guys" are, I'll just assume these are "guys" who know the range rules. Shooting ranges have very strict rules that are in place to protect other shooters. Most ranges require all ammunition to be removed and weapons cleared before the firing line is live. Shooting from the hip is not allowed at most ranges unless you are in a competitive event; so any firearm in a holster stands out as a possible violation of safety rules. Every range I have been involed with requires actions to be open until you are ready to shoot. Rangemasters don't care if have a carry permit or not, they need to enforce range rules. I would recommend you either look up or ask for a copy of the range rules, then either follow them or find somewhere else to shoot.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back