Shooting glasses - bifocals

mikeinmo

Missouri Shooter
I find myself having a hard time shooting with my regular bifocal glasses. I can have either the sights on the gun in focus or the target in focus but not both. For those of you that use bifocal glasses what do you do when shooting? I was thinking about talking to my Ophthalmologist about what to do but if he is not a shooter he may not understand the issue. I was hoping to hear what others in my situation do.

I used to wear bi-focals and did the Lasik thing. But, when I was wearing glasses I just had to train my eyes and brain to not have either the sights or the target in clear focus. I also shoot with both eyes open and only go strong eye with iron sights when shooting beyond 50 yards.

I've never gone bifocal. I went straight for laser surgery and had my right eye (strong eye) altered to see for distance and my left eye altered for reading. I therefore do not need glasses for normal day-to-day activities.

For shooting I have a reading lens affixed to my safety glasses that focuses my right eye on the sights. This is only applicable for iron sights as I can see perfectly fine for a scope or a red dot etc. The target being blurry is not important as the most important thing for accurate shooting is to have precise sight alignment. This is best achieved by having the sights in sharp focus.

The reading lens is just one I took out of a $2 pair of glasses. I think that it was about +1 diopter (I just tried different ones on until I found something that gave me the best focus on my outstretched finger). I simply put a bead of silicone around the lens and glued it into the inside of my shooting glasses.

With this arrangement I can consistently put shots in the 9 or 10 ring at 50 yards.

Link Removed
Not the tidiest of jobs but it has been serving my purpose for the last 5 years.

Cheers
Gregg

Link RemovedI had my optometrist make me a pair of yellow shooting glasses. I had him make the bifocal (bottom part) very low. I only need the bifocal for really close work.

Sorry 'bout the pic quality, but you can see the low bifocal anyway.

Get a special pair made with a "D" segment at the bottom, really low. I run an optical lab, btw. I've been in the glasses business for over 25 years.

Link RemovedI had my optometrist make me a pair of yellow shooting glasses. I had him make the bifocal (bottom part) very low. I only need the bifocal for really close work.

Sorry 'bout the pic quality, but you can see the low bifocal anyway.

I got prescription glasses for shooting. The real solution is a red dot sight. They put the target and the sights on the same plane.

I wear bifocal safety/sunglasses most of the time. I have a laser on my EDC. Winchester makes shooting glasses with bifocal at the top and bottom for shooters. They only come in a few magnifications but that is better than nothing.

I find myself having a hard time shooting with my regular bifocal glasses. I can have either the sights on the gun in focus or the target in focus but not both. For those of you that use bifocal glasses what do you do when shooting? I was thinking about talking to my Ophthalmologist about what to do but if he is not a shooter he may not understand the issue. I was hoping to hear what others in my situation do.

Suggestion: Try shooting groups using the sights in focus then try the same thing with the target in focus. See which gives you the tighter groups.

Gregg

For my edc I have learned to point and shoot. {much like you would in a real self defence situation** seems to work fine for me. For my hunting rifle I use a scope.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back