Shooting at mall

HK4U

This is the type of thing that is so scary. You never know when something like this may happen.

Link Removed

Teresa Negron, Omaha Police, says nine people are dead, five injured. Assailant dead. Shooter's vehicle is being sought.

So sad!

"Police Sgt. Teresa Agron said the suspected gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound."

Why must people take others down with them? If you're going to kill yourself why ruin the lives of 9+ other families!! Wish there could have been someone armed there to stop this before it got this bad!!

Prayers go out to all the families.

Sad way to end his life!

It has become more common for mentally deranged individuals to use this type of behavior to end thier life, thanks to the news media, many sad sucidial people kill others for the publicity, so that other will remember them. There is also been an increase in sucide by cop. This is one of the best reasons to carry a concealed firearm. Unfortunately, the victims were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and unarmed. My prayers for the familys of the innocent victims.

Sad, but statistically inevitable. People dying in a shopping mall is news, but car accidents and heart disease are not news. Even if car accidents and heart disease kill hundreds daily...

Not that this will stop sensationalist news media from making a big deal over it to boost ratings.

Noted on the News tonight: It took 6 minutes for the police to arrive.

6 Minutes.

Pretty quick.

This will be a reminder to all that our malls are open targets . God be with the familys.

It has become more common for mentally deranged individuals to use this type of behavior to end thier life, thanks to the news media, many sad sucidial people kill others for the publicity, so that other will remember them. There is also been an increase in sucide by cop. This is one of the best reasons to carry a concealed firearm. Unfortunately, the victims were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and unarmed. My prayers for the familys of the innocent victims.

You hit the nail on the head! Suicide note left behind said he wanted "to go out in style"

Please be safe out there guys!

6 minutes?

Noted on the News tonight: It took 6 minutes for the police to arrive.

6 Minutes.

Pretty quick.

During the shopping period between Thanksgiving & Christmas, the response time should have been seconds. In Las Vegas, the police are all over the malls and parking lots to try to stop the thefts and robberies during this period.

Wow did you read the description of how it happend? I don't think anyone carrying in his vicinity would have had a good chance to stop the carnage. He was on the third floor firing down!?! Very scary. Unless I was behind him when it started I think I would be running with everyone else.

Early still

It's a bit early for the Monday morning QB routine yet. Let’s allow some more information to build up and then we can think it through individually and, perhaps, collectively. I remember the Tacoma Mall shooting a couple of year's ago as well as the IHOP shooting in Virginia and we should be cautious of the premature “I would of…” and “I could of …” statements. This is a public access website.

Truly sad that there are such disturbed people in the world. I am sure what others said is correct. They are wanting publicity of their death

What kills me, though, is the sheer number of unarmed people out there that had no option but to run. How have we become so TIMID?! It's utter insanity. I pointed to the TV and told my wife, "THAT RIGHT THERE IS WHY I CARRY!"

There was a good point made on the radio today. The news media of course will be blaming the availability of guns but will not call this shooter or any of the other mass killers evil because they do not believe in the concept of good and evil. Isn't it funny they don't think people can be evil but guns are?

Shooting

What kills me, though, is the sheer number of unarmed people out there that had no option but to run. How have we become so TIMID?! It's utter insanity. I pointed to the TV and told my wife, "THAT RIGHT THERE IS WHY I CARRY!"

+1. That is why I carry every place I go. I believe in a level playing field.

Link Removed
===============================================

The horrible tragedy at the Westroads Mall in Omaha, Neb. received a lot of attention Wednesday and Thursday. It should have. Eight people were killed, and five were wounded.

A Google news search using the phrase "Omaha Mall Shooting" finds an incredible 2,794 news stories worldwide for the last day. From India and Taiwan to Britain and Austria, there are probably few people in the world who haven’t heard about this tragedy.

But despite the massive news coverage, none of the media coverage, at least by 10 a.m. Thursday, mentioned this central fact: Yet another attack occurred in a gun-free zone.

Surely, with all the reporters who appear at these crime scenes and seemingly interview virtually everyone there, why didn’t one simply mention the signs that ban guns from the premises?

Nebraska allows people to carry permitted concealed handguns, but it allows property owners, such as the Westroads Mall, to post signs banning permit holders from legally carrying guns on their property.

The same was true for the attack at the Trolley Square Mall in Utah in February (a copy of the sign at the mall can be seen here). But again the media coverage ignored this fact. Possibly the ban there was even more noteworthy because the off-duty police officer who stopped the attack fortunately violated the ban by taking his gun in with him when he went shopping.

Yet even then, the officer "was at the opposite end and on a different floor of the convoluted Trolley Square complex when the shooting began. By the time he became aware of the shooting and managed to track down and confront Talovic [the killer], three minutes had elapsed."

There are plenty of cases every year where permit holders stop what would have been multiple victim shootings every year, but they rarely receive any news coverage. Take a case this year in Memphis, where WBIR-TV reported a gunman started "firing a pistol beside a busy city street" and was stopped by two permit holders before anyone was harmed.

When will part of the media coverage on these multiple-victim public shootings be whether guns were banned where the attack occurred? While the media has begun to cover whether teachers can have guns at school or the almost 8,000 college students across the country who protested gun-free zones on their campuses, the media haven’t started checking what are the rules where these attacks occur.

Surely, the news stories carry detailed information on the weapon used (in this case, a rifle) and the number of ammunition clips (apparently, two). But if these aspects of the story are deemed important for understanding what happened, why isn’t it also important that the attack occurred where guns were banned? Isn’t it important to know why all the victims were disarmed?

Few know that Dylan Klebold, one of the two Columbine killers, closely was following Colorado legislation that would have allowed citizens to carry a concealed handgun. Klebold strongly opposed the legislation and openly talked about it.

No wonder, as the bill being debated would have allowed permitted guns to be carried on school property. It is quite a coincidence that he attacked the Columbine High School the very day the legislature was scheduled to vote on the bill.

Despite the lack of news coverage, people are beginning to notice what research has shown for years: Multiple-victim public shootings keep occurring in places where guns already are banned. Forty states have broad right-to-carry laws, but even within these states it is the "gun-free zones," not other public places, where the attacks happen.

People know the list: Virginia Tech saw 32 murdered earlier this year; the Columbine High School shooting left 13 murdered in 1999; Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas, had 23 who were fatally shot by a deranged man in 1991; and a McDonald's in Southern California had 21 people shot dead by an unemployed security guard in 1984.

All these attacks — indeed, all attacks involving more than a small number of people being killed — happened in gun-free zones.

In recent years, similar attacks have occurred across the world, including in Australia, France, Germany and Britain. Do all these countries lack enough gun-control laws? Hardly. The reverse is more accurate.

The law-abiding, not criminals, are obeying the rules. Disarming the victims simply means that the killers have less to fear. As Wednesday's attack demonstrated yet again, police are important, but they almost always arrive at the crime scene after the crime has occurred.

The longer it takes for someone to arrive on the scene with a gun, the more people who will be harmed by such an attack.

Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did.

Mall Shooting

Unfortunately you will probably never see the news report that the mall is a "gun free zone" ,and the anti gun people will have a field day with this of course leaving out relavent facts to the story.It is too bad that there wasn`t anyone there that could have possibly stopped this person before he killed so many,but this is the time of the year when the nut jobs come out of the woodwork and unfortunately don`t discriminate who they take with them on their death wish.As was stated a bunch of times before.This is one of the reasons i carry all the time because you just never know and there is no safe place.Prayers go out to the familys.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back