Shoot upside down with ring finger?

DrLewall

Charter Member
I normally carry a 1911 45 and just recently I started to carry as a BUG a little 38 snubby in my pocket.

The problem I had was that the butt of the snubby would fall out of my pocket thus giving away my concealment.

What I had to do was turn the pistol with the butt facing forward in my pocket, which would mean that when and if I had to draw, it would come out of my pocket upside down and I would have to use either my ring or my middle finger to pully the trigger.

Starting tomorrow (monday), I will train my self to operate this snubby with live ammo. I have done a few dry runs (drawing with no ammo) and it was a bit awkward but with regular practice, I can see me getting use to this.

Anyone else practice shooting your weapon upside down with other than the regular "booger hook"?

a better(?) option

hmmm..... I understand your problem, Doc, as the same thing has happened to me with my snub. In response, I either mexican carry in the waist of my jeans or wear a longer shirt to conceal the grip (dress around the gun). To satisfy my curiosity, I've attempted to fire each of my pistols upside-down. It's a total disaster and unsafe. The gun just bucks too much in the hand.

stay safe - don't do it

When we were using S&W Mod 15 in the Air Force I use to demonstrate firing it upside down double action with my little finger just to show that double action is accurate if you practice. I've fired complete courses with it upside down acing it every time. Just make sure you apply more pressure with your thumb around your fingers. When pulling the trigger the little finger tries to pull the weapon to the right. The extra pressure with the thumb will compensate and keep the weapon from moving. If you use the sights just sight as normal and it will hit the target. It takes a little while for your little finger to get use to the pressure and will be sore for a while. With a lot of practice it becomes second nature in gripping and firing the weapon. Plus it's a lot of fun!

I would hope that firing any handgun upside down is not the best idea that anyone ever had.

Opinions

are usually worth what you pay for them but I sure hope you think that through Doc.

I guess it is certainly possible to learn to fire in that way, but would question whether your training will hold in the heat of the moment if you drop/lose your primary and go for the BUG with a totally different grip, draw and firing position while under stress. It may be a great exercise to demonstrate reliability but as a standard fighting or defensive position it sounds like a recipe for confusion. Maybe I am being too Spock-like but it just doesn't seem logical (or natural) to expect a smooth transition under those circumstances.

Maybe more experimentation with a pocket holster, ankle or IWB would produce something more confidence-inspiring? Then again, you are a big boy and responsible/accountable for your own actions. Maybe we are too much "in the box" on this one.

Last edited:
Tnx all for the input..some of you have concerns, all justified for sure...I do prefer to hold and shoot a gun as it is intended, just like anyone else. But I can see where if you traing and practice enough to shoot upside down and get comfortable with it, I can see where it could be to your advantage in doing so.

The pants I wear, cargo pants, do not allow the snubby to be buried deep in my pocket as stated above so the BUG is backwards. I will train and practice with it and if it becomes uncomfortable or unsafe to my liking, I will change method of carry. I see this as a learning experience and I know it can be done as I have seen it done. I will follow up with it here for you guys to let you know how it is going.

How long can you stand on your head? Would a pocket holster not correct this problem.I believe all was of firing should be praticed . You never know.

Maybe I should have stated that the snubby is in a pocket holster and as stated, the butt of the gun hangs outside, thus the turning is backwards to keep the butt inside the pocket which means the gun will be withdrawn upside down..will report back after a while after firing.

Doc, could you reach into your pocket with the back of your hand against the leg?

Ok..first let me answer Echo's question abt reaching with the back of my hand against the leg..I can do that but it is very difficult in two aspects. 1) as I withdraw, it's only normal that the pull tends to twist and I get a "little" wadded up on trying to get the gun out. 2) while trying not to twist, I get a sharp pain in my shoulder which then would cause even more difficulty in retrieval with some delay.

Now for the shoot. As I mentioned, I tried a couple of dry runs with a unloaded revolver. It is difficult to get ahold of the gun and hang on to it. First thing I noticed that if you tend to get your thumb and index finger (aka Booger Hook :eek:) around the grip, when you try to pull the trigger, the hammer will rub against the heel of your hand and it will startle you.

I did notice that when I fired the gun, the recoil was not as bad as I had anticipated. While shooting a 38 the "regular" way, you do get a little kick or buck to it snaping upwards. You would think that shooting upside down, the reverse would happen, the kick would be towards the ground. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't..I could not tell. It seemed to me that the recoil was not near as bad as it usually is. Was it due to me try'n to hold on to it and pull the trigger with my ring finger? (BTW, was almost impossible to pull the trigger with my middle finger while trying to hang on to it). As for the kick, I really didn't notice it, weird I know.

I can see that with more trainning and practice, I can make this work. It is very uncomfortable right now but that is because I am not use to it. I would much rather carry this snubbyin the "right" positition in my pocket and I will strive to do it that way, but this new exercise I can see being useful down the road at some point. It does not hurt to learn something new. Shooting upside down is a dicipline I would like to have some knowledge of and maybe some basic skill.

Next time you are at the range, and if the RO gives the okay, give it a try and learn for yourself and then decide if you need to pursue. I for one will contine to train with this method. Good luck and Be Safe!

Buy a Kel Tec 380 and a Nemesis holster. Gun sits perfect...no crazy firing methods.

Problem solved. :)

getting ready to leave the house as I read this. I've got a .38 snub and a Kel-Tec .380 on me. The .38 is on my strong side because it is more powerful than a .380 -my $.02

I experiment too!

I have a IWB type holster for my ppk/s. It is of the pop-up type that places the butt of the gun below the waistline. It pinches things it shouldn't pinch when I am sitting. I now place the ppk butt backstrap towards the bottom of the pocket, both sights forward on my weak hand side. When I place a hand in my weak side pocket with my thumb over my belt or edge of pocket I can insert my finger inside the trigger guard ahead of the trigger and pull the gun out and my hand is wrapped around the slide. I can then reach over cross draw style with the strong side hand and grasp the butt of the gun. This can be done in very fast time with only a few practice draws. Even in my tightest jeans the hammer does not snag but I think I would grind it down for safety. This keeps the butt of gun from sticking out and the weight of the gun keeps the barrel towards the front of the pocket hiding it. I am trying to make a pocket holster that will secure it this way a little bit more in larger pockets. This is a different way of carrying but it is not upside down firing. Maybe this would work with your firearm.

Visit your Tailor

I normally carry a 1911 45 and just recently I started to carry as a BUG a little 38 snubby in my pocket.

The problem I had was that the butt of the snubby would fall out of my pocket thus giving away my concealment.

What I had to do was turn the pistol with the butt facing forward in my pocket, which would mean that when and if I had to draw, it would come out of my pocket upside down and I would have to use either my ring or my middle finger to pully the trigger.

Starting tomorrow (monday), I will train my self to operate this snubby with live ammo. I have done a few dry runs (drawing with no ammo) and it was a bit awkward but with regular practice, I can see me getting use to this.

Anyone else practice shooting your weapon upside down with other than the regular "booger hook"?

I would visit my tailor and have him extend the depth of my pocket!!

I would visit my tailor and have him extend the depth of my pocket!!

Give me YOUR taylors number then.. :D (as I don't have one. :p )

I do have a Kel Tec p3at and I do sometimes carry it as my BUG, infact I have a couple of different options for BUG carry..I guess I was looking for a more reliable BUG and a wheel gun seems to be an option, although not my only option. For those who really care, I also carry, at times, a bersa 380+, 9mm, 22 rev, and of course, 2 45's

I think that shooting a gun upside down is NOT the best method but I can see where if you train yourself a time or two to do it, then if the
Link Removed and for some stupid reason in the heat of battle you just happen to get ahold of a gun, yours or his, and it is upside down in your hand, then you will have the confidence to fire the gun as you have trained that way. I for one will train this way as you just never know, it may come in handy.

I had a pocket extended 3" then one day I carried on the hip and put some change in my pocket, when I reached in for the change I couldn't believe how deep 3 extra inches made the reach.

when i was at the academy,

we used to have to hit the deck roll onto our back and shoot over our head. i would advise not allowng yourself to be put into a postion where you have to do that, except as the last resort between staying alive and getting dead.:hmhm:

That is still taught and we all could have to shoot from any angle so I pratice with a bb gun in my back yard.I also shoot from a horse or from my riding lawn mower .What IF is the concern here. BB guns present a real good tool if the gun is the same shape as carry firearm.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back