Shipping to yourself - RV trip into Canada

OlympicFox

We're planning another RV trip into Canada, only this time we want to take several of our handguns. We know we can't take our carry guns with us, so what I'm thinking of is shipping them to ourselves at some place where we plan on crossing back into USA - say an RV park or possibly an FFL, since we'll be in Canada for well over a month.

Has anyone here done this? Any suggestions?

I'm an American currently residing in Canada. I have crossed the border back and forth with a handgun legally many times.

It took me about one year to go through all the hoops to acquire and possess handguns in Canada.

There is a way to legally enter Canada with firearms.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada

Essentially, you would get a temporary authorization. Also--and this is important-- no handgun barrel can be less than 4.1 inches in length. If you try to possess one of those in Canada, you will definitely go to jail.

As for storing a firearm at a retail dealer:

I visit relatives NYS. I am not permitted to possess handguns in NYS unless I am going to compete in a sanctioned competition. Worse, Title 18 USC is not an exemption in NYS.

Link Removed

It is a defense you can use at your trial. I am mentioning this because I asked a gun shop near the NYS border if they would store one firearm for me for a day or two while I visited NYS. The answer was no.

You may have better luck than I did. Let us know how it works out.

Whatever you do, don't try to enter Canada with any firearm if you do not have the requisite paperwork completed. You will spend time in jail and your firearm(s) will be confiscated. The CBSA officer will ask if you have firearms. They are professionals at identifying body language "tells".

If you intend on using an FFL, there are a couple of points to consider:

Firearms that are delivered to an FFL for repair/cusomization only can be returned to the original owner without a form 4473 and NICS check. Firearms that are delivered to an FFL for any other reason can only be transferred if the recipient, even if it is the original owner, completes a form 4473 and NICS check.

If you deliver handguns to an FFL in a state other than your state of residence for any reason other than repair/customization then that FFL will not be able to return the handguns to you, because they can only transfer handguns to residents of the same state their business is licensed in. An out-of-state FFL would have to transfer the handguns to an FFL in your state of residence who would then transfer the guns to you via form 4473 and NICS check.

If you are very intent on taking the guns with you, probably the easiest thing to do would be to rent a self storage unit and leave the guns locked up there while in Canada.

If you wish to ship the handguns back to your home, they have to go UPS overnight (by UPS policy), in care of someone who will hold the package for you without opening it, but it would be illegal for an FFL to do that.

could you not have a good cleaning done on your firearm and tell the guy you will be back in a couple of days?

I'm an American currently residing in Canada. I have crossed the border back and forth with a handgun legally many times.

It took me about one year to go through all the hoops to acquire and possess handguns in Canada.

There is a way to legally enter Canada with firearms.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada

Essentially, you would get a temporary authorization. Also--and this is important-- no handgun barrel can be less than 4.1 inches in length. If you try to possess one of those in Canada, you will definitely go to jail.

We intend to do the requisite hoop jumping for two long guns & one or two large pistols (1911), however our preferred carry gun are a Kahr K9 (3.5" barrel) & a 3" Officer's 1911 - neither are legal in Canada. :mad:

As for storing a firearm at a retail dealer:

I visit relatives NYS. I am not permitted to possess handguns in NYS unless I am going to compete in a sanctioned competition. Worse, Title 18 USC is not an exemption in NYS.

Link Removed

It is a defense you can use at your trial. I am mentioning this because I asked a gun shop near the NYS border if they would store one firearm for me for a day or two while I visited NYS. The answer was no.

I know enough to avoid NYS - people think the Sunshine State is a PITA. We won't even stop for fuel in the problematic states. Our plan is to re-enter the US in Maine & I'm hoping to add Maine to the state I have a permit for.

You may have better luck than I did. Let us know how it works out.

Luck is nice when it comes along, but it's not something to count on - Mr. Murphy tends to show up instead! :fie:

Whatever you do, don't try to enter Canada with any firearm if you do not have the requisite paperwork completed. You will spend time in jail and your firearm(s) will be confiscated. The CBSA officer will ask if you have firearms. They are professionals at identifying body language "tells".

We definitely won't be that stupid!

I've been telling my wife I want a 4.25" 1911 as an alternative to my Kahr & she's fine with that, however, she's still very partial to her 3" Kimber & it would be a hard sell moving her up to a 4.25" 1911. Then again, maybe not?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back