Shipping firearm for vacation?

Slacker

I am traveling to Florida soon for vacation and taking Amtrak. Amtrak does not allow firearms in checked or carryon bags. Can I ship a firearm to an FFL in florida if I am not a Florida resident? What is the process? Should I go through a local FFL dealer?

As I understand it,you can ship your firearm to a dealer in Fla,but,per ATF regs,a dealer can not transfer a handgun to a resident of another state.I believe you can ship it to yourself,in that state.The problem with that is the USPS will only ship to a dealer.I don't know about FedEx UPS,but I think they want you to be a dealer,too.I am not sure,but you might be SOL on this one.

I highly suspect that if you ship to a FFL dealer to yourself, the dealer will charge a handling fee and you will have to submit the paperwork again as if it were a new gun that you are buying..again, I SUSPECT so I could be wrong..anyone know fo-shur if this is correct or am I just spew'n random thoughts?

Amtrak says no guns. Plus I have to go into DC (gun ban) to get on the train. I really need to find a way to get it down there without carrying it.

I've sent firearms UPS to myself. I ship UPS, declare the firearm and show them my registration paperwork. The firearms go "Red" (Next Day Air). There's an investigator or bail enforcement agent that signs for the shipment and locks it up until I arrive. Once I arrive, I open the package, inspect the contents and get ready for whatever I'm doing.

I usually transport firearms in my checked baggage. The shipping thing was done only a couple of times when travel plans would have put me in a dangerous situation (like a night or two in NYC).

Best thing to do is check with the various shipping companies. They'll advise you if they can or cannot ship for you. They're in business to make money, so if they can do it, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to assist. They also don't want to get into any trouble, so I'm sure they'll help you do it "legally". The folks at our local UPS office were very friendly and helpful.

gf

Found my answer. You can ship to yourself in another state C/O a third party. Read it from this PDF on the BATFE site. It is on page 10, sectiob B10.

Link Removed

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back