Sheepdog attitude...pros vs. cons

I'm a little surprised by what I'm reading here.

I don't know whether I fall into your particular definition of "sheepdog" or not, but here are my thoughts.

I CCW when I can, especially when I'm out with my kids or girlfriend.

If I (think) I see something bad happening, I get involved. Most of the time my involvement is simply getting my kids to safety and then watching the situation (is that couple arguing going to turn physical? That guy seems out of place in this environment....etc) until it resolves. I've called the police several times for various things...most of the times it turned out to be nothing, but then again I've testified in court for what I've witnessed as well.

I have also gotten involved to the point of simply walking by and making my presence known. Often times my presence (I'm a very large guy) can make someone straighten up, or clarify in my mind that it is a benign situation.

I have also caught bad-guys (teenagers in this case) stealing things from cars, and I've chased them 2 blocks before physically catching one of them.

I guess I am the type of guy who you would want around if you, your kids, or your wife was getting hassled by dirtballs, if your house was being broken into, or if your car was getting stolen. I'm even the type of guy who you would want to be around if your kids were at the high school football game and getting a little rowdy/rude with others...happened just Friday night and I told them to knock it off...they said "sorry sir" and then did. Yeah, I get involved. Why? Because I'm a man. I'm not a hero, and I'm not going to pull out my glock and start a body count (never even been close to pulling my CCW) unless my life, or someone elses life, is in imminent danger.

But, if you, your family, or anyone else needs help and I can provide that help, then I'll be there. My CCW is just like the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, rope, flashlight, and tire jack in my truck - - - a tool that I can take care of my family, myself, and anyone else with.

I guess I'm just a little disappointed with what I'm reading here because it seems that there are lot of guys out there who wouldn't get involved if my kids/girlfriend needed some help and I wasn't around.

A lot to read on this forum... many schools of thought. Was reading through it all trying to think of how I interpret the right and responsibility of CCW, and how I'd describe myself as it pertains to such. Now I don't have to, because Boatswain2PA said it well.

For a time now I have thought about creating a Sheepdog logo that was very low profile and could move quietly through the CCW community. This way you would know who your brothers and sisters were. It may alert the bad guys and that is/was a slight concern.
Have you ever seen the small stickers that family members of police officers put on their vehicles?
I believe it is nation wide but it may just be here in Florida. There are 3 lines, top line is a dark blue, middle line is light blue, bottom line is dark blue. The sticker is small maybe 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch and is generally on the drivers side rear of the car.
This little sticker alerts officers that they are dealing with another officers family. Generally when pulled over the driver of the vehicle will be asked who the family member is and where they serve.
I feel that a small "Sheep Dog" logo may not be a bad thing. That is unless the officer approaching your vehicle is anti Carry.

I've read this thread twice now and still have no idea what the difference is between a sheepdog and the average armed citizen so I'm just gonna guess....

A sheepdog will risk his life for others?

I guess that's the idea. I have very mixed feelings about this. I think it's commendable on principle but very very dangerous in practice. What I mean is you would have to be able to clearly be able to establish who is the attacker and if the attacked person did nothing to provoke the attack before you intervene. Unless you were there from the start that's just unlikely. Thoughts?

• For a time now I have thought about creating a Sheepdog logo that was very low profile and could move quietly through the CCW community. This way you would know who your brothers and sisters were. It may alert the bad guys and that is/was a slight concern.​
I don't post much, but I do think this is a very good idea

• I've read this thread twice now and still have no idea what the difference is between a sheepdog and the average armed citizen so I'm just gonna guess....
I have to agree, I have mixed feelings about this one too. Maybe Wiki should take a shot at it.

seeing the additional comments here..
some are actually ridiculous claims of they'll be a hero and get involved in anything they see and that's usually a recipe for disaster, stuff like that are easier said than done, just because you are carrying it doesn't mean you will win a fight with a badguy. A CCW carrier should only pull out a firearm when facing imminent threat. If you approach an incident with an intent to stop a fight or stop an argument - you automatically turn to an aggressor and that can land you a couple of years of court dates, thousands of dollars in lawyer fee's, pay with your life or an innocent civilians life, If you see someone stealing a car, call 911! no life is worth an object, you don't need to run there and be a hero. What if they are armed just like you? you think you will win the gunfight? NO YOU WONT!

try not to take too much of the opinions on here especially getting involved in any non life threatening crime, be a sheepdog, not a police dog!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back