Shave and a hair cut, but not on Sunday!

Can you imagine the barber's reaction when the police showed up????? :angry2:

gf

What did the police do when they got there? Did they simply order the owner/operator to close or did they arrest him?

OK - Nothing to do with blue laws and was for cutting hair on Monday not Sunday. I have never heard of laws about this type on thing but I know lots of towns even still close one day of the week. I know growing up the small town I was in closed on Thursday afternoon and the neighboring town closed on Wednesday afternoon. Thye got this passed so some barber wouldn't open on monday and have no competition. As they said , Strong Arm tactics.

Here where I live, all barbershops and beauty salons are closed on Mondays. I don't know if that is because of some law or tradition, but I'm just wondering if it is the law, what the government could possibly gain from it.

Here where I live, all barbershops and beauty salons are closed on Mondays. I don't know if that is because of some law or tradition, but I'm just wondering if it is the law, what the government could possibly gain from it.

Campaign donations from the union bosses. Other than that nothing. This was the first I have ever heard of it being a law, just always thought it was a gentleman's agreement because Monday would probably be the slowest day of the week for haircuts.

By the way, my home state, Indiana, also has a law on the books prohibiting car dealerships from being open on Sundays. Never was able to figure that one out.

By the way, my home state, Indiana, also has a law on the books prohibiting car dealerships from being open on Sundays. Never was able to figure that one out.

Several years ago one of the local car salesmen would go sit out front of the dealership and hand out his cards on Sundays while all of the other salesmen were taking Sunday off. Since they couldn't buy on Sunday they would come back on Monday and guess who they asked for. He was polietely informed by the other salesmen that he needed to take Sundays off or there could be problems.

Shave and a hair cut

I was born and raised in Indiana, and I can remember when Indiana had blue laws, and no place of business could operate on Sunday. The people started an outcry,saying that they often had the need to purchase milk or bread on Sunday, and slowly the blue laws fell. If you go to the movies in Indiana, you pay an excise tax that was put on movie admissions in the early forties, to aid the war effort. It was never repealed, to my knowledge.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back