Shall Issue Effort in NJ

Smity

Hi All,
It is me, Smity, again, continuing my effort to improve gun legislation. When an issue comes up, I post on many forums so I apologize for not being more social. Some of you may remember participating in the email campaign for right to carry on National Park land (over 80 million acres) which resulted in hundreds of email letters sent to the Senate and House just prior to the vote and contributed to its successful passage. The new law goes into effect in February. The second was an attempt to counter one-gun-a-month in NJ, which we could not stop, but we were able to get exemptions for competitors and collectors (the exemptions aren’t great, but they are an improvement).
This time, we are pushing the reintroduction of a right to carry bill in NJ (that would make NJ “shall issue”) and for the bill to be pushed through the Law and Public Safety Committee. Bills can remain in committee indefinitely if there is not a public demand for them to be released. This is important for everyone, not just NJ citizens. Some of you may be familiar with Revell v. Port Authority. Gregg Revell, who was flying from UT to PA, missed his connecting flight in Newark, NJ. Mr. Revell had legally brought a handgun with him in his checked baggage. Mr. Revell’s bags ended up in the lost luggage section of the airport. He finally found his bags, after the remaining flight and all busses had left. He checked into a hotel near the airport and attempted to get on the next flight to PA the following morning. When he declared the handgun while checking his bags, he was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a handgun. Examples like this are why it is important for everyone to get shall issue in NJ.
If you have an opinion in this matter and wish to weigh in, you can do so by following this link:

Link Removed
and then click on “Sign the Petition.”

The petition refers to bill A1282 which was a right to carry bill proposed during the last legislative session in NJ. It has growing support among Senators and Assemblymen, especially after the ousting of Jon Corzine, NJ's anti-gun Governor, in the last election. They are all starting to feel the pressure.
If you wish to see the bill before signing the petition, here is the link:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A1500/1282_I1.PDF

Thank you to everyone for your help! Normally, I keep a running total so everyone can see how many signed from each forum, so confirming would be helpful and appreciated, but don’t feel obligated.

Thanks again,

Smity

Signed. Smity, have you considered posting this on the NJ Coalition for Self Defense website? You'd get a lot of support there, I assure you. Find them here: www.NJCSD.org. Good work!

Signed. Smity, have you considered posting this on the NJ Coalition for Self Defense website? You'd get a lot of support there, I assure you. Find them here: www.NJCSD.org. Good work!

Thanks for the info. Welcome to the NJCSD is actually where I learned about the petition. I'm not sure who started it, but Cemeterys_Gun_Blob posted about it there. NJCSD is probably the best forum to go to to get info about NJ gun laws.

Smity

Signed. I truly hope for firearm changes in draconian states like N.J. Especially if the McDonald vs. Chicago case in the S.C. goes our way. Could you imagine N.J. as a shall issue state? Omgosh that would be friggin sweet! Bad guys look out! :neo:

Did everybody receive an email response? Seems like a canned response...but does mention that I'm from PA

Thank you very much for favoring me with your E-mail respecting my proposed Concealed Carry legislation.

As you probably know, I am the prime sponsor of this legislation. As I enter my eighth term in the Assembly, I will be introducing this proposal for the eighth time. Not once has it ever received the courtesy of a hearing before the relevant committee.

Nonetheless, I am delighted to hear from folks advocating for freedom. Far too often, the only voices we Legislators hear are those arguing for bigger, more intrusive government, or those demanding something they have not earned, at the expense of their neighbors.

Unfortunately, New Jersey is one of the small minority of states which denies its citizens their fundamental right to bear arms in their own defense. Sadly, far too many of our legislators believe, passionately, that only governmental officials can be trusted with firearms. And, for the time being, these folks control the levers of power.

While your post makes a compelling case for this proposal, the studies and statistics you cite, which unequivocally demonstrate the merits of this legislation, simply make no impression on those whose opposition is rooted in fear and ideology. Unfortunately, “no brainer” is often a very accurate description of New Jersey legislative action. I truly believe that we will not see much in the way of advancement of freedom here in New Jersey until such time as we replace the present group of anti-freedom officeholders with advocates of freedom. Towards that end, folks who support freedom need to seek office, and freedom advocates need to vote for – as well as financially support – candidates who agree.

Nonetheless, I have confidence that, even in New Jersey, common sense will, at some point, prevail. Sooner or later, the merits of this legislation will become so patent that not even folks like Jon Corzine and Loretta Weinberg will dare oppose it.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to write.

mpcarroll

PS nice to see someone from PA take an active interest in the freedom of NJ residents. Would that more of our own residents were so concerned.

mpc

NJ is a shall issue now, and most shall not get it..:sad:.. BUT victory of this will be sweet..:victory:
pray for us in NJ:help:

Signed.
Here is an interesting article written about the problems in may issue states. Be a Good Victim | David Rittgers | Cato Institute: Commentary

That's a great article.

I tried to upload this flyer but I couldn't get it to work, so I am posting a link to another site that has it:

NJCSD Forums - View Single Post - Petition for CCW Reform in NJ

This is a flyer that has instructions on how to go on line to sign the petition. It can be placed at gun clubs, gun stores, VFW, etc. ...if anyone feels so inclined.

I printed out 100 copies and dropped them off at 2 local gun stores. They were both very appreciative and we had a good conversation about CCW and gun laws in general in NJ. They both thanked me for taking the effort to do so.

The count is up to 665.

Smity

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back