Senator Ted Stevens found guilty on all counts

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
Link Removed

Ted Stevens, a pillar of the Senate for 40 years and the face of Alaska politics almost since statehood, was convicted of a seven-felony string of corruption charges Monday - found guilty of accepting a bonanza of home renovations and fancy trimmings from an oil executive and then lying about it.

Unbowed, even defiant, Stevens accused prosecutors of blatant misconduct and said, "I will fight this unjust verdict with every ounce of energy I have."

The senator, 84 and already facing a challenging re-election contest next Tuesday, said he would stay in the race against Democrat Mark Begich. Though the convictions are a significant blow for the Senate's longest-serving Republican, they do not disqualify him, and Stevens is still hugely popular in his home state.

The jury - itself a daily drama, trying to expel one of its own members - convicted Stevens of all the felony charges he faced, accusations based heavily on the testimony of a wealthy oil contractor who for years had been a fishing and drinking buddy.

Visibly shaken after the verdicts were read - the jury foreman declaring "guilty" seven times - Stevens tried to intertwine his fingers but quickly put his hands down to his side after noticing they were trembling. As he left the courtroom, he got a quick kiss on the cheek from his wife, Catherine, who testified on his behalf during the trial.

Stevens faces up to five years in prison on each count when he is sentenced, but under federal guidelines he is likely to receive much less time, if any. The judge did not immediately set a sentencing date.

The monthlong trial revealed that employees for VECO Corp., an oil services company, transformed Stevens' modest Alaska mountain cabin into a modern, two-story home with wraparound porches, a sauna and a wine cellar.

Stevens said he had no idea he was getting freebies. He said his wife handled the business of the renovation. He said he paid $160,000 for the project and believed that covered everything.

As his attorneys had during the trial, Stevens said in a statement issued afterward that prosecutors had improperly held back favorable evidence, had sent a crucial witness back to Alaska and "allowed evidence to be introduced that they knew was false."

"I am innocent," he declared. "I ask that Alaskans and my Senate colleagues stand with me as I pursue my rights." Addressing the folks back home, he added, "I will come home Wednesday and ask for your vote."

He had asked for an unusually speedy trial, hoping he'd be exonerated in time to win re-election. Despite being a convicted felon, he is not required to drop out of the race or resign from the Senate. If he wins re-election, he can continue to hold his seat because there is no rule barring felons from serving in Congress. The Senate could vote to expel him on a two-thirds vote.

"Put this down: That will never happen - ever, OK?" Stevens said in the weeks leading up to his trial. "I am not stepping down. I'm going to run through, and I'm going to win this election."

Taking nothing for granted, Begich said merely, "This past year has been a difficult time for Alaskans, but our people are strong and resilient and I believe that we will be able to move forward together to address the critical challenges that face Alaska."

Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee, said, "The verdict shines a light on the corrupting influence of the big oil service company that was allowed to control too much of our state. It was part of the culture of corruption I was elected to fight. And that fight must always move forward regardless of party or seniority or even past service."

wow at least me and you can admit that both parties are corrupt tatte. These guys need to open their eyes and realize the truth.

Alaska has no law prohibiting a convicted felon from holding office it will be interesting to see how long he continues to serve as a senator. It is conceivable for him to serv from behind bars wouldn't that be something?

If politicians got what they really deserved 90% of them would be behind bars and a lot of them would stand trial for treason.

The only thing I think we could hope for at this time is for Stevens to win, step down, and have Governor Palin appoint a new Republican to the seat, just before she leaves to move to Washington D.C. to serve as Vice President.

The only thing I think we could hope for at this time is for Stevens to win, step down, and have Governor Palin appoint a new Republican to the seat, just before she leaves to move to Washington D.C. to serve as Vice President.

Despite Stevens' popularity and Alaska's redness, I just don't see how he can win this election.

Sheep? Is that what you call someone that votes for a Marxist?:sarcastic:

No. That's what we call someone who won't make their choices based on reason, but rather, on crazy, off the wall assumptions, many of which aren't true.

No. That's what we call someone who won't make their choices based on reason, but rather, on crazy, off the wall assumptions, many of which aren't true.

Well which assumptions that have been made about Obama do you know for a fact are false?
All you have to do is do a little digging, read a little background on Obama and you find a whole lot of history that is very, very scary and as the old saying goes, "where there's smoke there's fire".

your right kwo51 we might as well move to communist china. Maybe we should just go ahead and kill ourselves. You and hk4u are way off what will happen.

leavingmass is right. You guys are good to point out the democrats but can't see the corruption on the other side to. I see it on both sides. Thats why its impossible to vote the "christian Way" thats the stupidest thing i hear on a consitent bases.

Yet we have several supposed gun ownership supporters on this forum who totally ignore the history of Obama and gun ownership. I would guess that has to come from a blind bias.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back