Senate Bill 681 status?

Anubis

I understand this bill related to ammunition purchase but Governor Quinn re-wrote it to be an "assault" weapon ban. The changed bill went back to the state senate where Q's changes were rejected 49-to-4. It was supposed to go to the House---anything happen there yet?

I think I read earlier that the house defeated it as well. I'm sure he will come up with some other mucked up idea to ban firearms.

This is from NRA ILA.

Today, Governor Patrick Quinn’s procedural maneuver to enact a gun ban (previously reported here) was defeated by the Illinois House of Representatives as they convened for a veto session. In a 78–28 vote, an overwhelming majority of state Representatives overrode Governor Quinn’s amendatory veto to Senate Bill 681. Now, Senate Bill 681 as it was initially written and originally passed by overwhelming majorities in the state Senate and House has been enacted and is in effect, protecting online FOID purchase of ammunition using delivery services which are federally authorized to ship ammunition. Thank you to all Illinois NRA members for contacting their state legislators and reminding Governor Quinn that your voices are stronger than his subversive tactics.We have learned that due to his loss in the state House and Senate, Quinn will continue to shop around for a new semi-auto ban for future introduction in the Illinois General Assembly. Your NRA-ILA will continue to monitor any activity in Springfield and will keep you informed of developments as they occur. It is critical that NRA members across Illinois continue to remind their state legislators of their responsibility to defend the Second Amendment now and in the future.

They needed 3/5ths to override, 71 votes so it came within 7 "nay" votes of passing the House...that's way too close. Not sure about the ones who didn't show up. Even if it had passed and hit Quinn's desk, a state judge would have issued an injunction the second Quinn lifted that pen off the paper after signing the bill just based on the fact that it's a blatant violation of the Illinois Constitution for the Governor to use the amendatory veto process to gut an entire bill and replace it with a completely different bill. This was gonna be it for me...if this had gone through, I would've quit my job and left the state.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back