Senate Bill 1145 Concealed Weapons Permits Information

Gallstones

This bill--to be voted on--would render all personal information; names, addresses, etc--of Montana Concealed Permit holders be confidential, AKA can not be published.

Sponsor is Sen Fredrick Moore R-Miles City.
"Disclosure of permit holder's personal information does not fall within a compelling public interest."

Doug Nullie, a lobbyist for Montana Shootiong Sports Association supports the bill.
"This information could be used by the criminal element to locate not only the applicant but also the applicants references, and thus potentially subject those individuals to a wide variety of crimes.....[and discriminations]"

The bill is opposed by Montana Newspaper Association Jan Anderson because the "public needs to know."

Needs to know what? Some private detail about law abiding citizens and the legal possession of a legal item legally procured and legally utilyzed?
Do you know that I can't go to the Courthouse and get information on what kinds and how many vehicles a person owns or has registered to them? Why then does the same public have a right to know what and how many firearms I own?

Wow SCOTUS, you seriously think that the newspapers should be able to publish information on CCW permitt holders? I would say that you are naive as heck. The public has no right or need to know just as they have no right or need to know my bank accounts or my kids ages and names or as someone else stated, my vehicles and types. You have some serious issues about peoples rights and really need to educate yourself. I have worked in Law Enforcement for the better part of my life and now for the DoD. I don't need anyone knowing that I have a CCW permitt or that I have several weapons at my house. Due to my career I already have video camera's and an alarm system on my house. If my name were published along with my address and CCW information along with weapons information, my entire families lives would be in immediate danger. If, for some reason, you think that is ok, you should really move to Communist China, or Mass. where people are barely allowed to own a weapon unless you are in Law Enforcement. You and your opinion has not place in Montana.

Oopsie, I added one too many ones to the thread title.

Update on Montana Senate Bill 145
Link Removed

The governor also signed a bill Thursday sought by gun advocates that would make the state's list of concealed weapon permit holders confidential.

Senate Bill 145, introduced by state Senator Frederick Moore (R-20), provides important confidentiality and privacy protection for concealed weapon permit holders. SB 145 passed in the state Senate by a 37 -13 vote on January 31 and passed in the state House by an 88-9 vote on March 13.

Wow SCOTUS, you seriously think that the newspapers should be able to publish information on CCW permitt holders? I would say that you are naive as heck. The public has no right or need to know just as they have no right or need to know my bank accounts or my kids ages and names or as someone else stated, my vehicles and types. You have some serious issues about peoples rights and really need to educate yourself. I have worked in Law Enforcement for the better part of my life and now for the DoD. I don't need anyone knowing that I have a CCW permitt or that I have several weapons at my house. Due to my career I already have video camera's and an alarm system on my house. If my name were published along with my address and CCW information along with weapons information, my entire families lives would be in immediate danger. If, for some reason, you think that is ok, you should really move to Communist China, or Mass. where people are barely allowed to own a weapon unless you are in Law Enforcement. You and your opinion has not place in Montana.

This hasn't been brought before SCOTUS. It is something that some local newspapers in some parts of the country have decided to publish. They get the info, I think, because it is public record.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back