Selling a handgun in N.C.

blume357@

I was just thinking.... the person buying the handgun has to have either a permit to buy from their county sheriff or a concealed carry permit....

Does the seller in a private sale have to have anything besides being a "resident">

following up on this.....

I have been under the impression that both private and FFL sales of a handgun in N.C. required the permit from the sherrif unless the buyer had a valid NC concealed permit....

I've now been told on another forum that this is only a requirement for a purchase through an FFL not when dong a private sale.

Can somebody more informed on N.C. laws help me out here and clear this up?

Regardless of where you're getting the handgun from you need either a PPP or CHP.

Not perfectly clear on pistol transfers either. Have bought several w/o toilet tissue but do not know whether it is legal or not. Supposedly personal transfers are OK as a gift.

North Carolina

To acquire a handgun in North Carolina (including private sales, gifts, and inheritance) an individual must go to the county sheriff's office in the county in which they reside and obtain a pistol purchase permit. This is not required if one has a CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon) permit.[201] State law requires the applicant to appear in person with government ID, pay a $5 fee, undergo a background check similar in scope and scrutiny to NICS, and have a reason for owning a pistol (hunting, target shooting, self defense, or collecting). Because there are 100 different counties in North Carolina, there are different sets of rules and requirements for obtaining such a permit, which can be determined arbitrarily by the local sheriff. Some sheriffs impose other restrictions such as a limit on the number of permits applied for at a time, waiting periods, and/or proof of good moral character (a witness or references, in some cases notarized with affidavits).[202][203][204][205][206] The Pistol Purchase requirements are a holdover from Jim Crow laws that were designed to prevent African-Americans and other minorities from easily obtaining handguns.[207]

Durham County requires the registration of handguns. In accordance to North Carolina Law, no other county or local government may require handgun registration.[207]

North Carolina is a "shall issue" state for the concealed carry of handguns. Application for a concealed carry license is made through the local county sheriff's office. Applicants must complete a state approved training course. State approved courses are not highly regulated, and can be found everywhere. A CCW license is valid for a period of five years. Regardless of the possession of a CCW permit, absolutely no person may possess a concealed weapon at any government-run facility or any educational establishment.[208]

North Carolina honors concealed carry permits issued by Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia. North Carolina's permit is valid in approximately thirty states, more than any other CCW permit.[209][210]

Open Carry is also legal throughout North Carolina[211] except within the town of Cary, which forbids it by local ordinance. In the city of Chapel Hill, open carry is restricted to guns of a certain minimum size, under the theory that small, concealable weapons are more often associated with criminal activity. No permit is required to carry a weapon openly in North Carolina. You shall be able[citation needed] to carry weapons if no one is harmed.[clarification needed] If someone feels threatened by your open carrying, you may be arrested under the state's "Going armed to the terror of the public" statute. Simply feeling threatened at the sight of openly carried weapon does not rise to the level of "Going armed to the terror of the public."[citation needed] Interaction with law enforcement is often largely dependent on the attitude[clarification needed] of the officers involved and the conduct of the individual.[clarification needed]

Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States

I know there are alot of what we call Bubba sales at every gun show i have ever been to and I have bought some that way too. And the Hillsville Va flea market every labor day weekend is a huge bubba sale.

Can anybody recommend HIllsville worth going to. We've recently move to central NC and wonder if it's worth the 1 1/2 hour drive on Labor Day weekend?

for private sales, the buyer must be legally allowed to own/possess a firearm. (I.E. a have a PPP or CHP) the seller doesnt need to keep the PPP or make a copy of the CHP, but does need to at least see proof. If as a seller you wish to keep said proof on file, that's purely your choice. No legal requirement though

Yeah, it's a bit muddy. Personally I like to have a local FFL handle the transaction as what they call an "In house transfer", they do that for a measly 10$ and it gives buyer and seller peace of mind.

Well I was going to create another topic for this question but figured it'd fit in pretty well here. I am attempting to sell my Beretta Subcompact on Armslist and just spoke with an interested party. I asked if he had a Pistol Purchase Permit or a Conceal Carry Permit and he said he has a pistol purchase permit from South Carolina. Am I allowed to accept this as proof for purchase?

Well I was going to create another topic for this question but figured it'd fit in pretty well here. I am attempting to sell my Beretta Subcompact on Armslist and just spoke with an interested party. I asked if he had a Pistol Purchase Permit or a Conceal Carry Permit and he said he has a pistol purchase permit from South Carolina. Am I allowed to accept this as proof for purchase?

My best friend is a Char-Meck Police Officer and he said that in NC you DO NOT need to keep a copy of the purchasers PPP. However you do need to verify that he is not a fellon, as selling to a fellon is illegal, and having a PPP or concealed carry permit is that proof since it's issued by the Sheriff after a background check. So it's up to you to retain the proof or not. Example, If i'ts your buddy and you know he's not a fellow you can make the exchange with cash and that's it. It's smart though to keep a bill of sale at the minimum, and a copy of the PPP if you wish. It's just to cover your own butt. When you buy a gun from a dealer or FFL they take the permit to show you bought the gun as they are required by the ATF who issues their FFL license to show who they're selling to for inventory purposes as they sell alot of guns and it protects them from selling to fellons as well. I thought the ATF would show the gun registered to you but guns in NC do not have to be registered so you just show as the initial purchaser. The gun could be sold 10 times and you would still be that initial buyer and your records of sale show who you sold it to and is the paper trail should that gun be involved in a crime.

Firearm bill of sale - Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back