Self Defense & Insurance Question

GeneralSumter

Thinking about the potential for repercussions of a self-defense shooting... if one were to happen in my home, is my home insurance carrier going to drop me? What about if it's in my car (SC castle doctrine includes an occupied vehicle).

This thought came about after reading about the pizza hut guy that shot the robber and he lost his job. My work also has a "no guns on premises" policy. It's not against the law to keep it in my vehicle, but I could be fired for it (SC is a right to work state, as well). Then I logically went to insurance companies that drop people because 3 natural disasters strike your house within a 20 yr span (actually happened to my neighbor). I bet they certainly drop you if you have a SD shooting. Any experience with this?

I'd say probably not. If it did happen in your home it wouldn't be much of a claim to replace the carpet and fix any holes in the wall. Under the Castle doctrine as long as it was self defense then there is no civil liability. The best answer to your question would be to call your insurance company and ask them what their policy is on self defense in your own home.

The best answer to your question would be to call your insurance company and ask them what their policy is on self defense in your own home.

And if they have a problem with it, I'd say look for a company that supports your rights to give your money to.

Insurance companies cover negligence and accidents, not self-defense (a deliberate act).

If the BG relatives can prove you were negligent in the shooting, they will sue and your insurance company will probably settle out of court and then drop you like a rock.

Good news is - You are Alive!

Don't file a claim...just sue bad guys mama for raising a moron and have her replace your carpet. If somebody is in my home...where my children sleep...I'll not only deal with loosing my insurance but I'd even take a bullet to make sure he died on the carpet and didn't get near my kids.

I guess living through the situation,is better then worrying about Ins.
If you live to fight another day,how much is that worth to you??

Me,I don't give a Rats A_ s ,about the aftermath,as long as I win,live,and I'm righteous.
But that's just me.

Last edited:
Agree, there would be no claim on my part to fix the wall or carpet or window. And yes, as long as the intruder is removed or incapacitated and my family is safe, all else will be fine. Just a curious question. Thanks for the input.

Agree, there would be no claim on my part to fix the wall or carpet or window. And yes, as long as the intruder is removed or incapacitated and my family is safe, all else will be fine. Just a curious question. Thanks for the input.

That was an excellent question General! I never would have thought of that. Except I wouldn't want the intruder incapacitated.....just dead is all. I've been carrying here in Texas since concealed carry went into effect and I'm proud to say that not once have I even come close to drawing my weapon, although I do know for sure that if it came down to it(God forbid), I would not hesitate.

Like martial arts, a CHL to me is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterance, and de-escalation. As much as it would sadden me to be forced to take another persons life..... It is FAR better to be sad than at room temperature.

BTW, I'm an XD carrier too.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but I've been thinking about something for a while that American ME just said. The CWP is a commitment to avoidance, deterance, and de-escalation. I feel less need to loose my temper now and find it easier to walk away from situations that rile me, but aren't actually life threatening. And I don't know whether its the fact that I can step away knowing in my mind "I would have won that fight" since I'm carrying or if its due to the responsibility I feel not to contribute to any escelation that could possible lead to a firearm being drawn. In other words....I think my CWP makes me a less confrintrational person.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but I've been thinking about something for a while that American ME just said. The CWP is a commitment to avoidance, deterance, and de-escalation. I feel less need to loose my temper now and find it easier to walk away from situations that rile me, but aren't actually life threatening. And I don't know whether its the fact that I can step away knowing in my mind "I would have won that fight" since I'm carrying or if its due to the responsibility I feel not to contribute to any escelation that could possible lead to a firearm being drawn. In other words....I think my CWP makes me a less confrintrational person.

I agree 100%. I just don't feel the need to be confrontational anymore.

Agreed on the disposition factor. The antis don't have a clue about "us" over here.

Back to the insurance point though - as much as LOVE 'em for their effectiveness and ease of use, the insurance question is one big reason why I don't choose a shotgun for interior home defense. Just more or bigger holes and likely WAY more carpet to replace... but you know. Fight and win. Carpet and dry wall are replaceable. :biggrin:

Hey Aggressive1: Your last post on this thread is right on--good post. Not only should you feel less confrontational, I believe it is your duty, under the laws that gave you the right to bear arms and to CC. This forum, as I have said before, is really a great learning experience from a bunch of people all over the country who share their 2nd Amendment rights with integrity.

There is a thread here on this site called "insult my wife" good read regarding disposition when armed.
With the right ammo and 2 rounds dead center mass, the drywall should not be an issue... I have never been fond of the carpet in the living room or up the front stairs so.. Hard-wood or laminate flooring would look nice and I can install that. Better to be alive and remodeling then dead and decomposing:yes4: Forget the insurance companies, Money sucking vampires when all is good, but ask them for some cash to fix things when it goes bad and their butts tighten up and eyes roll…

Hey 6shootercarry: I assume when you talk about drywall damage you are referring only to it as collateral damage and not damaged because you shot thru it with the perp on the other side. If you discharge your weapon at someone who may not belong in your house but is on the other side of a wall or the other side of a door, you are going to be somewhat at a loss for words when it comes to convincing someone (like a jury)that you were in deathly fear of your life.

Hey 6shootercarry: I assume when you talk about drywall damage you are referring only to it as collateral damage and not damaged because you shot thru it with the perp on the other side. If you discharge your weapon at someone who may not belong in your house but is on the other side of a wall or the other side of a door, you are going to be somewhat at a loss for words when it comes to convincing someone (like a jury)that you were in deathly fear of your life.
That's correct..Just in case the perp is close and one or more of the shots is a through and through.. 357 at close range with full magnums.. It could happen...

Thirty years as an insurance agent and underwriter and I've never seen a person dropped for a self defense act. I suppose it could happen though. I've had some nice claims made in that time, almost all from fires in So. Calif. and in my case no one was ever dropped even when we paid out $200k-$800k or more.

An insurer is more likely to non-renew someone who had multiple small losses in a three year period than one big one.

Now, if you put in a couple claims for robbery, and you live in a higher crime area they might figure you're more likely to suffer another one but for the average person (about one homeowners claim every 13-15 years) in a average neighborhood it's probably not going to happen.

Insurers don't non-renew for things that have already happened, they non-renew due a abnormal higher risk of things that might happen.

As with everything in life, there are exceptions to every rule. Some insurers are more gun shy (pardon the pun) than others.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back