Self defense dreams.....

KimberPB

It's been awhile but had a crazy one last night...

I was out someplace in Ohio with my little bro. Have no idea where we were because the location didn't look familiar but somehow I knew we were in Ohio. As my brother and I were loading up a car and getting ready to leave these two guys walked by. They were laughing and made a smart comment at us. My bro laughed and said haha real funny guys. That’s all it took to set them off. As I turned to see what was going on one of the guys already had a gun out and pointed right at me. I took a quick glance at the other guy and saw that he was unarmed and was not a threat to my bro so my attention went back to the one screaming at me. He was fishing for something in his pocket and had to look down. I decided this may be my only chance to get out of this situation. So I drew and side stepped. As I drew my gun I disengaged the thumb safety and the click caused the BG to look up just about the same time I leveled my front sight. I got the first shot off as I started heading for cover behind the car. The BG was also retreating back but still had the gun pointed at me but had not fired. So I kept firing but the BG just kept running around pointing the gun at me. I went through my entire mag and as I went for my spare. All I was thinking was I see my front sight and it's on him how come he has not gone down. I engaged again with a fresh mag each shot I would see my front site line up center mass but still no reaction from the BG. I started getting pissed and wonder how I could be missing him. I ran that mag dry also and the BG was still dancing around. My bro and I at that point just tackled the guy. After we took him down I asked are you shot and the BG just replied No. Then I woke up still pissed and confused how I could have missed every shot.

Hmmmm maybe that's a sign I need to practice more..........

I have dreams like this every now and then, actually! So do a few of my shooting partners that I have conferred with.

The dreams vary from not being able to physically pull the trigger because something is jammed/too hard to operated, missing the target when firing, or the bullets literally bouncing off or having no effect on the BG at all. All you can do is get some shooting time in to console yourself and know that your guns are going to work.

This sounds funny, but I grew away from those dreams and started with the zombie dreams. Those pesky zombies are hard to take down! LOL

In my dreams, the bullets just seem to "float" out of the gun and drop harmlessly to the ground. Sometimes, I grab another gun, but the same thing happens. I usually end up pulling the trigger harder and jerking the gun, like that's gonna make the bullets speed up. Yikes....

Zombies?!! Don't need no dreams about zombies...crap, now I KNOW I'm gonna be dreaming about zombies! Well, better than sitting in a bath tub full of rattlesnakes, I guess. Oh, no...!

It's been awhile but had a crazy one last night...

I was out someplace in Ohio with my little bro. Have no idea where we were because the location didn't look familiar but somehow I knew we were in Ohio. As my brother and I were loading up a car and getting ready to leave these two guys walked by. They were laughing and made a smart comment at us. My bro laughed and said haha real funny guys. That’s all it took to set them off. As I turned to see what was going on one of the guys already had a gun out and pointed right at me. I took a quick glance at the other guy and saw that he was unarmed and was not a threat to my bro so my attention went back to the one screaming at me. He was fishing for something in his pocket and had to look down. I decided this may be my only chance to get out of this situation. So I drew and side stepped. As I drew my gun I disengaged the thumb safety and the click caused the BG to look up just about the same time I leveled my front sight. I got the first shot off as I started heading for cover behind the car. The BG was also retreating back but still had the gun pointed at me but had not fired. So I kept firing but the BG just kept running around pointing the gun at me. I went through my entire mag and as I went for my spare. All I was thinking was I see my front sight and it's on him how come he has not gone down. I engaged again with a fresh mag each shot I would see my front site line up center mass but still no reaction from the BG. I started getting pissed and wonder how I could be missing him. I ran that mag dry also and the BG was still dancing around. My bro and I at that point just tackled the guy. After we took him down I asked are you shot and the BG just replied No. Then I woke up still pissed and confused how I could have missed every shot.

Hmmmm maybe that's a sign I need to practice more..........

sounds like some video games I've played:) no matter how many times you shoot the boss he just doesn't seem to go down...

I've had some SD dreams. the last one I remember I was with a friend of mine who is almost totally blind. there was a bad guy that was taking aim at my friend then he started firing one after another but not hitting my friend. I drew the 9mm I had in my pocket and started firing back at the bad guy and hitting him most of the time. everything I remember was all in slow motion. and when I was hitting the bg I could hear his flesh tearing from the rounds penetrating him.

another dream I had I went to a friend's house and arrived pretty late at night. no one answered the door so I fell asleep on the porch until morning. in the morning there was a guy walking down the sidewalk who saw me sleeping and thought it would be an easy person to rob. so he started walking up to me as I saw him from the corner of my almost closed eye then I drew my .45 and pointed it right at him.. he immidiately raised his hands and was like.. "woah woah woah".. then he just went back to the sidewalk and walked off.

I find it interesting to learn of the dreams of others, particularly pertaining to SD situations.

I bet one could spend hours (and bunches of $$) psychoanalyzing all these variables and factors.

KimberPB, while I'm always in favor of training, training and more training - I bet all those "misses" in your dream come from something other than a lack of training. I'm not Dr. Freud, but I'd guess the "angst" generated by such a dream is a subconscious way to reinforce the training and tactics you've already got stored away in your brain.

Meaning, if in a dream you're causing yourself to bear down and focus harder on harder on what it is you've been trained to do (because of perceived failure in dreamland) than the next time you're training (or God forbid, in a real-world BG encounter), all that mental focusing in dreamland will better enable you to perform better in real time. And it'll probably feel a lot like super-slow-motion too because of all the mental prep in dreamland.

Like I said, I'm just spit-balling here. But that's my take on all those "misses" from a shooter who has taken the steps to ensure they're trained.

I find it interesting to learn of the dreams of others, particularly pertaining to SD situations.

I bet one could spend hours (and bunches of $$) psychoanalyzing all these variables and factors.

KimberPB, while I'm always in favor of training, training and more training - I bet all those "misses" in your dream come from something other than a lack of training. I'm not Dr. Freud, but I'd guess the "angst" generated by such a dream is a subconscious way to reinforce the training and tactics you've already got stored away in your brain.

Meaning, if in a dream you're causing yourself to bear down and focus harder on harder on what it is you've been trained to do (because of perceived failure in dreamland) than the next time you're training (or God forbid, in a real-world BG encounter), all that mental focusing in dreamland will better enable you to perform better in real time. And it'll probably feel a lot like super-slow-motion too because of all the mental prep in dreamland.

Like I said, I'm just spit-balling here. But that's my take on all those "misses" from a shooter who has taken the steps to ensure they're trained.

Good analyzing AZSATT!

I have a couple cop friends and we had talked about this before. One mentioned that many of them have dream like this. One ended up going to a shrink because he was worried that he kept having these dreams. He was told that in the back of our mind we know at anytime our firearm could malfunction. So dreams were our weapons malfunction is just that worry subconsciously coming out. They were told that since they were able to draw and pull the trigger mentally they were ready to do their jobs and defend themselves/others. The shrink said the only time they worry the officer is not fit for work is when they keep having dreams were they freeze up or can't pull the trigger.

I was happy that in my dream I did remember to disengage the thumb safety and actually used my front sight.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back